Homepage Garage Wiki Register Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum


Bigwormgraphix


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2019, 12:20 PM   #99
ChevyRules
 
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS NGM A8
Join Date: May 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado57 View Post

Good luck with that. Wages and raises for employees should be based on merit and performance. If you want income that increases with inflation try Social Security.

With wages keeping up with inflation, it isn't a raise. Their buying power doesn't go up. The effective wage remains the same. Food, services, cars, other products go up in price to match inflation. The employee making the same amount sees the cost of everything getting more expensive and now can't afford what they used to be able to.

Receiving more money than the rate of inflation would be a raise.
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 12:35 PM   #100
Silverado57
 
Silverado57's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: NJ
Posts: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyRules View Post
With wages keeping up with inflation, it isn't a raise. Their buying power doesn't go up. The effective wage remains the same. Food, services, cars, other products go up in price to match inflation. The employee making the same amount sees the cost of everything getting more expensive and now can't afford what they used to be able to.

Receiving more money than the rate of inflation would be a raise.
I'm just curious, where in the private sector do you work that you get a COLA?
__________________
Kevin
Luceo Non Uro
Silverado57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 01:40 PM   #101
unleaded28
 
unleaded28's Avatar
 
Drives: 2019 ZL1 M6
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: ventura ca
Posts: 21
As an employer myself I have seen this play out many times when it comes to COLA and minimum wage increases. Minimum wage goes up to $15 in LA? Now suddenly all our employees was a big raise, even though they already make more than $15. They want to keep the same relative distance from minimum wage as they had before. Cost of living and rent keeps going up? People again are looking for big raises.
The issue is, as a company we don't make more money just because rent went up for employees or because Los Angeles signs a new minimum wage bill. The market is fiercely competitive for us and we don't have the option of just raising prices to cover high payroll. We do have the ability to raise ones pay if they are able to produce more for the company however.
unleaded28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 02:13 PM   #102
Jim50thSS
 
Drives: 50th SS Convertible
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Swanton, Ohio
Posts: 101
The problem is why do we see increases in the cost of living in the first place. Ideally we adapt, use technology and learn to produce goods more efficiently, which should bring the cost of living down. I think to some degree we constantly expect more as far as standard of living, but I think inflation of the money supply is the greatest reason for the constant increase in living cost. Our currency is being devalued by our government and the federal reserve.
Jim50thSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 07:08 PM   #103
396ssrat

 
Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
Maybe if GM and other automakers weren’t union then trucks and cars wouldn’t be so expensive and every year the prices wouldn’t increase at least $2000 to $3000! Foreign auto companies that have located here are non union so why can’t domestic companies do the same?
If it weren't for Unions minimum wage would be $10 per day.
__________________
66 Chevelle SS 396
91 octane Driver
Performance unknown
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 07:09 PM   #104
396ssrat

 
Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado57 View Post

Good luck with that. Wages and raises for employees should be based on merit and performance. If you want income that increases with inflation try Social Security.
Merit and Performance as per who's judgement?
__________________
66 Chevelle SS 396
91 octane Driver
Performance unknown
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 07:20 PM   #105
OVRKLL
 
Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE...makes me go YeeeHaw!
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 579
Simple...Unions are leaches!


A company can survive without a union, but a union cannot survive without a company.
Growing up and living in a State that is a Union state, I've seen how a union will make a good worker a lazy one, and expects to get paid for doing little to no work.
Unions will always fight for higher pay because they take a % of the workers pay...the more the worker makes the more the union gets.


I know some dock workers that make more than doctors and they only have a high school degree...if that. However, they or their parents knows someone in the union...it's not about WHAT you know, but about WHO you know.


With that said, I don't think any CEO should get paid as much as the GM CEO does if it has a union. Better to get rid of the union and take a lesser pay to take care of your workers.
I'd like to see how much a ZL1 LE1 or a ZR1 would cost if the CEO made less and there was no UAW union.



Unions Suck!
__________________
The Thrill isn't around the corner, the Thrill is the corner!
So don't hesitate, just brake late!
OVRKLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 07:32 PM   #106
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!
 
Number 3's Avatar
 
Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '17 Buick LaCrose
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 11,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by 396ssrat View Post
Merit and Performance as per who's judgement?
Your boss, just like every other employee in the free world.

A lot of what will go to the local level will be getting people their jobs back that most of the union employees would agree, shouldn’t get their jobs back. Regardless of who evaluated them.
__________________
"Speed, it seems to me, provides the one genuinely modern pleasure." - Aldous Huxley Link to Every Camaro photo I've taken in Hi-Resolution
Number 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 07:33 PM   #107
Jimmy'18
 
Drives: 2011 Silverado
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Southern Ohio
Posts: 7
A lot of bright minds here! I just joined this site a few days ago and read this whole thread and found it very interesting.

Globalization is here and I don't know what the answer is as far as this topic is concerned. All I can say is I'm really glad I got my brand new SS before it becomes 2002 again.
__________________
2018 Black 2SS Vert
Born on June 7, 2018
Purchased new May 13, 2019
GM ground effects, lower grill and splitter

Stock for now
Jimmy'18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 07:34 PM   #108
ChevyRules
 
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS NGM A8
Join Date: May 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVRKLL View Post
Simple...Unions are leaches!


A company can survive without a union, but a union cannot survive without a company.
Growing up and living in a State that is a Union state, I've seen how a union will make a good worker a lazy one, and expects to get paid for doing little to no work.
Unions will always fight for higher pay because they take a % of the workers pay...the more the worker makes the more the union gets.


I know some dock workers that make more than doctors and they only have a high school degree...if that. However, they or their parents knows someone in the union...it's not about WHAT you know, but about WHO you know.


With that said, I don't think any CEO should get paid as much as the GM CEO does if it has a union. Better to get rid of the union and take a lesser pay to take care of your workers.
I'd like to see how much a ZL1 LE1 or a ZR1 would cost if the CEO made less and there was no UAW union.



Unions Suck!

Given today's shareholders/wall street above all else business culture, lets say the UAW went away and GM was able to lower the workers salaries/benefits, how much would they lower it vs pocket the money and show wall street and shareholders how much their profit margins went up? Sure we might see the price lower some for public perception, but it probably won't drop as much it could......
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 08:44 PM   #109
NowaChevyGuy
 
NowaChevyGuy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Camaro LT1 RS Black on Black
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: San Bernardino, CA
Posts: 256
Whether I support unions or not doesn't really come into play when my door is messed up with a bad wiring harness and it is sitting at the dealership because they haven't gotten parts in 4 days. You want to strike, that is your prerogative but for Chevrolet to shut down globally isn't really a solution when a company gets that big. Neither is having the threat of going on strike carry so much weight. To me unions did great things in this country long ago when they were needed. I used to be a trucker and I can tell you the teamsters never did shit for me when all I did was everything I could for them. Greed is a terrible thing and setting my soapbox aside I just want my car fixed.
__________________
.
NowAChevyGuy
2016 RS - Trifecta Tuned, 3.23 diff swap, Borla S Type, JMS Throttle Controller, Lambo doors, Monster stereo, GM LED rear tail lights, BMR swaybars/End Links/Trailing Arms, tinted dark and murdered out.[/br]
Car kicks ass! $20k.. and I get 20mpg with my foot in it, everywhere I go!.... Say somethin about V6's now...
NowaChevyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 10:14 PM   #110
Lazerbrainz2k3

 
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS - M6, NPP, MRC
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Delco, PA
Posts: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by 396ssrat View Post
If it weren't for Unions minimum wage would be $10 per day.
It should be $0.00. Let prospective workers tell an employer who offers insufficient wages for their individual circumstances to go pound sand, and see how long the employer lasts without employees.


Quote:
Originally Posted by NowaChevyGuy View Post
I used to be a trucker and I can tell you the teamsters never did shit for me when all I did was everything I could for them. Greed is a terrible thing and setting my soapbox aside I just want my car fixed.
They made sure to kneecap any independent competitors who didn't pay protection money to them like you did - really, who could ask for more?
Lazerbrainz2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 10:29 PM   #111
beedo
 
Drives: 18 2SS 1LE NFG
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Mansfield
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerbrainz2k3 View Post
It should be $0.00. Let prospective workers tell an employer who offers insufficient wages for their individual circumstances to go pound sand, and see how long the employer lasts without employees.




They made sure to kneecap any independent competitors who didn't pay protection money to them like you did - really, who could ask for more?
Then your mortgage company tells you to pound sand and get out because you cant pay your house payment
beedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 12:12 AM   #112
MrChrisLS3


 
Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Houston
Posts: 2,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerbrainz2k3 View Post
It should be $0.00. Let prospective workers tell an employer who offers insufficient wages for their individual circumstances to go pound sand, and see how long the employer lasts without employees
There's that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by beedo View Post
Then your mortgage company tells you to pound sand and get out because you cant pay your house payment
and then there's that.

Pretty much sums up the entire philosophy of a market driven economy.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Post Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.