Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-25-2018, 07:33 PM   #701
RealG

Drives: 2024 2SS
I’m really surprised on all the negative feedback regarding an affordable V-8 Camaro but you guys are probably right GM is too stupid to make it so they’ll continue to have very poor Camaro sales. Sales numbers don’t lie and the Camaro needs something besides more expensive models to choose from but that’s just my option as a potential buyer.
RealG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:04 PM   #702
Gray50
Intentionally left blank.

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Fifty
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealG View Post
I’m really surprised on all the negative feedback regarding an affordable V-8 Camaro but you guys are probably right GM is too stupid to make it so they’ll continue to have very poor Camaro sales. Sales numbers don’t lie and the Camaro needs something besides more expensive models to choose from but that’s just my option as a potential buyer.
Based on how well that one year of the 5th gen sold, I highly doubt price is the issue re: sales. People probably want to see something new and, IMO, the 6th gen wasn't enough of a change over the 5th gen to bring many "new" buyers into the fold.

Personally, I'd like to see some of the "bulk" (size) of the car go away, lower the belt-line, improve sightlines (especially when it comes to right and left rear visibility), and a few other things to "trim it down" some.

But, I'm not a sales / marketing guy, so I'm probably off-base for what "most" people want.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:20 PM   #703
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Quote:
An affordable V8 Camaro will be what the base Mustang GT is. No brembo's, maybe no LSD( or at least no LSD on the auto like the V6), cheap all season tires, etc. Basically a stripped out model. You're not going to get the 5.3 or anything else besides the LT1. The 5.3 will not provide any benefit over the 3.6 V6 besides some kind of immature mentality that a Camaro without a V8 is a POS.
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:24 PM   #704
Gen6_1Le

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1Le
Quote:
If it was just Camaros that has declining sales then i would blame GM of being stupid, but its mustangs and challengers also in decline. Dodge challenger offers lower priced V8 and what good does that do for sales ,camaros out sells them every year.
Gen6_1Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 07:36 AM   #705
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
This maybe out on a whim. But does anyone believe the refresh will take cues from the 2019 Silverado? If you really look, the current Silverado looks like the Camaro when it comes to the lights.
ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 09:26 AM   #706
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeROC View Post
Part of the problem might be that Millennials (this isn't a slam of them) seem to not be as interested in performance vehicles as previous generations. Add to that the insane debt they leave college with nowadays and their inclination to live with their parents longer, it just isn't a recipe for this type of vehicle to sell well at the high price level with the younger generation.
As someone who is a millenial (and I hate the fact I lumped in with them lol) You do have some that are car people, and IMO that gets broken down into 2 different types of car guys.

The ones who still like performance cars and driving in general

&

The ones who want to fit in at "corporate jobs" They see the parking lot is full of luxury cars, so they want to have a luxury car. These are the ones who choose a badge over metrics of the car.

THen like Number 3 says below there are the millenials who do not believe in owning a car bc Uber and Lyft can get them where they want to go. This types of millenials also love to live in the city where owning a car is often not practical at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Just to be clear, I'm not the one hearing anything or reporting on anything I've heard. I don't even know anyone working on the Camaro. I know more people that have worked on the new Mustang actually.

I'm merely speculating based on knowledge of having been there, done that, like you. And even that doesn't mean it's what they are doing.

They (don't lump them all into one category because on my team, the biggest car guys are millennials) are generally not into ownership of cars at all. They are one of the reasons Uber and Lyft and car sharing (OMG I can't imagine doing that) are all the rage. But when they have families and realize Uber doesn't quite cut it, mini vans and SUVs.

Almost everyone on this site way under estimates what it takes to simply calibrate an engine for a new application let alone the cost of doing a new engine. It's hugely expensive in both capital and resources. It's why we get into discussions about how awesome after market calibrations are "better" two weeks after GM has released a new model that had dozens of people and millions of dollars of dyno time and vehicle time to develop a calibration over 3 years But yeah, in two weeks someone with a laptop can make a car better in every way. LOL

Besides, if GM is going to spend money on a low volume engine (5.7L) for a low volume car (Camaro) it better be HUGELY profitable and it won't be. For the most part the manufacturing and material cost for a 5.7L would be the same as a 6.2L but you want it in a lower cost version of the Camaro? Nope. Maybe the truck version of the 5.3L because it exists but even that would still require a significant effort for development.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsChristianInHD View Post
This maybe out on a whim. But does anyone believe the refresh will take cues from the 2019 Silverado? If you really look, the current Silverado looks like the Camaro when it comes to the lights.
I see no Camaro in the silverado lol. IMO the Silverado is a total swing and a miss in terms of styling.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 09:45 AM   #707
camarofan12345

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Has there been any new news regarding when the reveal will be? I’d like to order a 2018, but would kick my self if the 2019 is really nice and I didn’t wait.
camarofan12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 09:54 AM   #708
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarofan12345 View Post
Has there been any new news regarding when the reveal will be? I’d like to order a 2018, but would kick my self if the 2019 is really nice and I didn’t wait.
at this point in the year I would assume order banks for 2018s would probably close soon. Maybe someone with a bit more knowledge can chime in
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 09:59 AM   #709
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
Quote:
I'm with you man. I'm looking to buy in March, but I'm confident the reveal should happen sometime in march. Not sure what to do...
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:00 AM   #710
97CamaroLT4

Drives: 1996 Camaro LT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
As someone who is a millenial (and I hate the fact I lumped in with them lol) You do have some that are car people, and IMO that gets broken down into 2 different types of car guys.

The ones who still like performance cars and driving in general

&

The ones who want to fit in at "corporate jobs" They see the parking lot is full of luxury cars, so they want to have a luxury car. These are the ones who choose a badge over metrics of the car.

THen like Number 3 says below there are the millenials who do not believe in owning a car bc Uber and Lyft can get them where they want to go. This types of millenials also love to live in the city where owning a car is often not practical at all.

I see no Camaro in the silverado lol. IMO the Silverado is a total swing and a miss in terms of styling.
Agreed and this is what is worrying me for the refresh as well as the new upcoming corvette. If this is what their design department came up with then it is worrying for upcoming products. Hell the 2018 Silverado looks much better. What were they thinking.
97CamaroLT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 12:48 PM   #711
RealG

The cheapest base V8 Mustang I could find is 29,270 The Cheapest V-8 Camaro I could find is 33,751. Some of you can’t understand why millennial’s are not looking at the Camaro that’s a $4000 spread ! I know that’s crumbs to most but in my reality that’s a lot of money to someone looking for an entry-level performance car with a V-8. Also what I found interesting is there are more Camaro V8’s for sale in my radius then any other Camaro model by a 2/1 ratio so Chevy is definitely pushing the V8 or they are not selling. They must make a lot of profit off those loaded up models. I really believe a 30 to 32K price V-8 Camaro would sell ,but Like many of you have suggested the Mustang is a nice car also so I’m gonna wait until the 2019 reveal and if nothing is new , I’ll just order the mustang.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:57 PM   #712
RollaMo

Drives: 2017 2SS
Quote:
I’ll just order the mustang.
The new 2018 base Mustang GT V8 starts at $35,095 now.
2015 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
RollaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 01:04 PM   #713
RealG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollaMo View Post
The new 2018 base Mustang GT V8 starts at $35,095 now.
it’s a 4K difference period no matter the talking points or fake news.
If you can get me the Camaro cheaper I’m open
18 Mustang 29,270
18 Camaro 33,751
Old 02-26-2018, 01:37 PM   #714
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
You could do a "build my own" on the Chevy site and then locate like units near you and keep track of them until the reveal does eventually happen. I wound up doing that while I was undecided on whether I was gonna get a Fifty Vert or an HBM Vert with Rally Stripes. I tracked a couple similar builds of each car. Eventually bought the Fifty. Only differences from what I would have ordered is it had the Fifty floor mats and did not have wheel locks. Even though I wasn't gonna order the mats, I'm glad it has them and I told the dealer it wasn't leaving the lot without wheel locks, so he tossed them in.

Go that route, and once you see the '19, you can decide to order that or pull the trigger on one similar to your "build my own".
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote