Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Phastek Performance

Old 05-07-2016, 01:20 PM   #155
MovieGuy

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
I was told high pressure washes are not a good idea for a car. They force water into nooks and crannies where it shouldn't be. They also put faster wear on the clear coat. I did nothing but rinseless on my Mustang for 2 years. I did it every Saturday before taking my car to cruise night show and shine. That car always looked like it had a fresh wax job. I use Optimum No Rinse Wash and Shine.

Life after retirement
MovieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 08:28 PM   #156
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
If you do it with clean MF towels in the bucket like Glen suggests, it is better than a 2 bucket wash with a mitt, no dirt gets transferred back to the bucket. I only do rinseless washes now, if it is real dirty, just rinse off with hose first.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 09:29 PM   #157
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport16 View Post
If you do it with clean MF towels in the bucket like Glen suggests, it is better than a 2 bucket wash with a mitt, no dirt gets transferred back to the bucket. I only do rinseless washes now, if it is real dirty, just rinse off with hose first.
I have nothing against Glen, or his rinseless process.

But using a hose to first rinse the car removes a good bit of dirt on it's own.

The foam gun afterwards provides a ton of lubrication on the paint, and loosens film from the car. A car that's outside 24/7 is going to get film on it, it's inevitable. Dirt gets stuck in this film and to your clearcoat. If it's not emulsified with lubrication, it will scratch the surface if wiped.

The rear of the car especially needs a lot of lubrication, as it catches everything kicked up by the tires.

Using grit guards in both buckets will keep any dirt removed from my Incredimitt at the bottom of the bucket, once it settles it cannot be stirred back up, it stays at the bottom.

I really would like to do rinseless, it definitely saves time. But again, I just haven't ever seen a vehicle that this process was performed on that didn't have swirl marks on it over a 6-12 month period of weekly washing, if the vehicle is an un-garaged daily driver.

Garage queens, yes, I've seen many that this process works great. They aren't driven in the rain, or get dew, bird droppings, bee poo, pollen, and all the other stuff a car that's outside 24/7 gets.

Even with 2 bucket washing I occasionally get a spot of very light wash marring, but compound isn't needed to fix it, only finishing polish.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:54 PM   #158
samsumon

Drives: 4 wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
trust me you will throw your old "2 bucket-grit guard" stuff out the window...why? because even with a 2 bucket your wash solution is still getting dirty, not with rinseless.... when you read the docs...

bring that car up to lauderdale and I'll wash it in 15 min, better than your hose....
I can stop by your house early this week and you can show me if you are interested!!!!
samsumon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:56 PM   #159
samsumon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
I have nothing against Glen, or his rinseless process.

But using a hose to first rinse the car removes a good bit of dirt on it's own.

The foam gun afterwards provides a ton of lubrication on the paint, and loosens film from the car. A car that's outside 24/7 is going to get film on it, it's inevitable. Dirt gets stuck in this film and to your clearcoat. If it's not emulsified with lubrication, it will scratch the surface if wiped.

The rear of the car especially needs a lot of lubrication, as it catches everything kicked up by the tires.

Using grit guards in both buckets will keep any dirt removed from my Incredimitt at the bottom of the bucket, once it settles it cannot be stirred back up, it stays at the bottom.

I really would like to do rinseless, it definitely saves time. But again, I just haven't ever seen a vehicle that this process was performed on that didn't have swirl marks on it over a 6-12 month period of weekly washing, if the vehicle is an un-garaged daily driver.

Garage queens, yes, I've seen many that this process works great. They aren't driven in the rain, or get dew, bird droppings, bee poo, pollen, and all the other stuff a car that's outside 24/7 gets.

Even with 2 bucket washing I occasionally get a spot of very light wash marring, but compound isn't needed to fix it, only finishing polish.
Can't I just hose wash the wash mitt between panels? Instead of buying yet another 3 pieces to clean my car? (Grit Gaurd, more buckets, ect)

Thanks
Old 05-08-2016, 08:56 PM   #160
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Ha! On the road working for BMW until late july, we can do it then.....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:03 PM   #161
samsumon

Quote:
Ha! On the road working for BMW until late july, we can do it then.....
How...... I want to know HOW the hell you manage to respond to everyone, in every thread, in EVERY FORUM, within minutes..

Thanks anyways! I remember you telling me you ar working on a few things for BMW...
Old 05-08-2016, 09:05 PM   #162
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsumon View Post
How...... I want to know HOW the hell you manage to respond to everyone, in every thread, in EVERY FORUM, within minutes..

Thanks anyways! I remember you telling me you ar working on a few things for BMW...
Because when you go to the forum, you hit "new posts" and it brings up every post thats been made recently in all sections
Old 06-05-2016, 09:36 AM   #163
Joe M 2012 2SS

OK Glen, I'm about to give in and try a rinseless. Though I will only do this if the car hasn't been driven in the rain, and only has light dirt on it. My hypocrisy only goes so far!

Not meant to demean or take away from the GDWM, but the technique explained here by Dylan who used to work at Adams, makes sense to me, rolling the towel as you wipe, so your not dragging any grit across the paint, makes more sense then wiping with it flat. As well as presoaking. I will presoak everything because I'm OCD about swirls.

Gary Dean calls people like me "babies" in his video's because I don't want swirls, well give me a bottle and a rattle! I DON'T WANT SWIRLS IN MY CLEAR COAT!

Again, it's the technique I'm concerned with, not so much the products used, not saying Adams doesn't have good products, because they do, but I already have a bottle of ONR that I add a little to soap for extra lubricity when doing a 2 bucket, so I will use it.

Your thoughts?

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Old 06-05-2016, 12:47 PM   #164
Glen e

Joe good luck, but honestly I don't care if you use it or not. It's all personal
Old 06-05-2016, 01:19 PM   #165
SSSHYBOY

Drives: 2SS convertible, black,black
AMEN.. After watching a real pro detail crew use rinseless I was sold.. They use "chemical Guys" product so that's what I use. Glen is the expert here; use his "stuff"
Old 06-05-2016, 01:59 PM   #166
Joe M 2012 2SS

Quote:
Joe good luck, but honestly I don't care if you use it or not. It's all personal
I did not intend it to be personal, just thought pre-soaking and rolling the towel might be safer then just wiping the towel on dry paint.

I have no experience with rinseless, but spent a lot of hours to correct my paint, and just want to be as safe as possible. I don't want to have to use compound again.

I only know what I have seen in person, cars that are ungaraged DD's like mine that have used rinseless only for extended periods of time. I haven't seen a swirl free car yet.

Since you have experience with rinseless, this is why I asked about this slightly different approach to rinseless vs GDWM.

I meant no offense to you, and I won't ask or post anything else in any of your threads concerning rinseless.

Maybe I'm just better off doing what I know keeps my paint swirl free.

Old 08-24-2016, 04:35 PM   #167
Camaro100

Drives: Camaro 2016 LT1
Hey Glen,
If feasible, can you share video how do you do rinseless. Being very new, i would be trying it for the very first time and would be easy to learn it by seeing
Camaro100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 04:46 PM   #168
Glen e

Sorry just my docs in my sig..many on you tube ...,use common sense, it's easy...