Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

AWE Tuning

Old 01-19-2019, 09:50 AM   #127
Gerard13

Drives: 2019 3LT V6 Camaro Convertible RS
Shudder issue on 2019s

I just ordered a 2019 3LT V6 convertible with the A8 automatic...does anyone know if the shudder issue has been resolved for 2019? Thanks
Gerard13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 07:48 PM   #128
Dudman

Drives: 2017 Camaro ss convertible
I had Reeder Chevy in Knoxville do the new flush and replace on my SS today. Hard to get mad at people that are super friendly and really doing all GM will let them. Transmission was great on the 25 mile drive home. Of course the first flush lasted a couple thousand miles before the shudder came back. Reeder said this is a fully synthetic fluid. I got my fingers crossed and will keep you posted.
Dudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 06:38 AM   #129
dmcmahan60

Drives: 2017 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcastag View Post
So the question is would you be able to get the new fluid before the shudder starts?? I just has a new converter put in and if this truly fixes the problem I would like to get it done BEFORE the issues start again.
No, They have had mine since Friday because I was under the assumption that since it had the shudder back in November and they told me there was a new fix coming out in 2019 to wait and bring it back in January.
So I called to check on it yesterday and they say they can't duplicate the problem. So I told the service writer there was a breakdown in communication somewhere and he says we will try and test drive it again tomorrow and see what happens. Since they have had my car for a few days and it has had the shudder before why not just do the new flush while you have it or wait until it happens again which it probably will. Then let me take it to you again so you can have it a few days again????
dmcmahan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 07:57 AM   #130
Klayman

Drives: 2017 2SS A8 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRuss View Post

Couple of questions: (I think I know the answers but not 100% sure)
1. Are all 1LE cars M6?
2. Do the M6 (non-1LE) cars have AFM?

I am thinking of taking my car in before 3yr/36K end and mentioning transmission shift issue just to get a flush and fresh fluid. Do I dare poke the dragon??

FYI, I do have the rear diff groan, had it flushed once last spring but it came back when the weather got cooler this winter. Cooler is relative as I live in Phoenix AZ.
I believe the powertrain warranty is 60k miles...may want to confirm that with your dealer when you take it in for the rear end. (during a cold spell...lol)

I wish they had a 1LE with the ten speed auto....I trade tomorrow! (Stick only, i think it's all part of the 1LE package)

Not sure about the AFM with the M6...
Old 01-26-2019, 08:05 AM   #131
Klayman

SO....got the second flush this week with the newer "New" fluid. I was really concerned with what is getting flushed out and asked if this will be every ten to fifteen thousand miles since I only have 27k miles now.

NEW ANSWER: The other "new" fluid was retaining moisture (IE H20) that would not evaporate out....when the service manager told me that one, I started chuckling and re-confirmed I have a 60k mile powertrain warranty.

So now.....My transmission temp is not reading/red line does not move at all...and I have no warnings/alarms.

Maybe they forgot to plug the sensor wire back in...

NEW FLUID PN: 19417904 mobil 1 syn lv atf hp
First flush PN: 19353429 (older new fluid)

Last edited by Klayman; 01-26-2019 at 08:25 AM.
Klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 08:09 AM   #132
italiano687

Drives: 2015 Chevrolet Camaro 1lt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klayman View Post
SO....got the second flush this week with the newer "New" fluid. I was really concerned with what is getting flushed out and asked if this will be every ten to fifteen thousand miles since I only have 27k miles now.

NEW ANSWER: The other "new" fluid was retaining moisture (IE H20) that would not evaporate out....when the service manager told me that one, I started chuckling and re-confirmed I have a 60k mile powertrain warranty.

So now.....My transmission temp is not reading/red line does not move at all...and I have no warnings/alarms.

Maybe they forgot to plug the sensor wire back in...

NEW FLUID PN: 19417904 mobil 1 syn lv atf hp

I’m in Meridian MS and the service associate gave me the craziest look when I asked about getting this service done. My 2016 has been doing this shudder when cruising at low speeds through the city for over a year and it’s driving me nuts... I’m really concerned now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
italiano687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 08:21 AM   #133
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
there is no afm on manual cars, at all. The engines have the hardware, but the ecu doesn't have the programming for it. It would be a rough ride if it did due to how the engine pulses in v4 mode.

as for transmission temp, mine rarely registers above the 100 degree bottom mark at anything below 65-70 degrees unless I'm really getting on it. If it's cold, even romping on it a bit doesn't have it move. The coolers for the a8's are pretty efficient.
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 08:32 AM   #134
Klayman

This is from the "Dealership Center of Learning",,,,googled, they are saying it is a moisture issue:

Due to the availability of the new Mobil 1 HP fluid and required tool kit, the procedure will be rolled out regionally starting in the Southeast and South-Central regions due to the frequency of TCC shudder. This concern is related to moisture. The current HP fluid has a greater tendency to be hygroscopic – or water absorbing. It also tends to hold that moisture even when the fluid heats up. As the moisture content in the fluid increases, the tendency to have TCC shudder increases. Selected dealers received a Global Connect Message sent to the attention of the Service Manager the week of December 3 advising them of the new service procedure, tool shipment and fluid availability. The Global Connect message includes a PDF copy of the service procedure. It is anticipated that the Mobil 1 Synthetic LV ATF HP and required tool kit will be available to all dealers by March 2019.

Mobil 1 Synthetic LV ATF HP will only be available through your local GM Oil Distributor. The new oil formulation will initially be available in 55-gallon drums. Drums will cease production in January 2019 and will change to quart bottles.

The quart bottle will not have a GM part number on the bottle. The bottle however has been updated. The back ground of the bottle where it states “Synthetic LV ATF HP” has changed from black to blue. (show bottles) The license number on the back of the bottle has changed to J-62120. The six pack packaging has been changed from black script on the white box to blue script on the white box.

Dexron HP Fluid, part number 19417904 for a 55 gallon drum or 19417577 for quart bottles.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:35 AM   #135
Klayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by italiano687 View Post
I’m in Meridian MS and the service associate gave me the craziest look when I asked about getting this service done. My 2016 has been doing this shudder when cruising at low speeds through the city for over a year and it’s driving me nuts... I’m really concerned now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Find a big dealership...they will know about it. Or tell your dealer the TSB is 18NA355
Old 01-26-2019, 08:40 AM   #136
Klayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosive View Post

as for transmission temp, mine rarely registers above the 100 degree bottom mark at anything below 65-70 degrees unless I'm really getting on it. If it's cold, even romping on it a bit doesn't have it move. The coolers for the a8's are pretty efficient.
Yeah...I was curious about that...thanks!.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:00 AM   #137
jcastag

Drives: 2017 Camaro FIFTY 2SS
Moisture in the fluid... Give me a ****ing break. Automatics and TC have been around forever. This is not new technology folks.... Getting the feeling this is a ploy that somehow minimizes GM responsibility from lawsuits. "Look we did all we could to fix, this was a fluid issue not a GM part issue so you should be suing Mobil1"
jcastag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 09:05 AM   #138
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
Quote:
Moisture in the fluid... Give me a ****ing break. Automatics and TC have been around forever. This is not new technology folks.... Getting the feeling this is a ploy that somehow minimizes GM responsibility from lawsuits. "Look we did all we could to fix, this was a fluid issue not a GM part issue so you should be suing Mobil1"

Exactly. They first found out about water in their atf in the late 70s in their own dexron formulas when they added corrosion inhibiters that had the side effect of absorbing a lot of moisture.
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 09:13 AM   #139
z28pat

Drives: 2002 z28, 2018 2ss 1LE
Quote:
Couldn’t agree more, so what’s different with the a10, is this going to shudder as well since there’s moisture in the air? my wife’s crv had a shudder problem , so the Honda dealership tried to charge us for a transmission control reprogram , and after going back and forth they updated it fixing the issue. The gm problem sounds like a tranny tuning issue to me.
z28pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 09:35 AM   #140
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
GM will still get sued. Bad design and engineering, assumptions that nothing ages, changes chemistry, or wears out. Insufficient testing/validation. Ideal "lab" conditions bla bla bla. It's all about engineering specs ... it all works correctly forever when it all works correctly forever. But get stuff into the real world and it works differently.

GM made the bet on the newer "slip-up converter" technology...and lost.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote