Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-16-2019, 11:33 AM   #29
FlowForm_Wheels

Drives: Turbo 4, SC V8 and Twin Turbo V8
Listen up folks:

FlowForm_Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:03 AM   #30
Chris C 1SS 1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE
CA is nice to visit. We do Coronado a few times a year; however, couldn't live there $$$$ and other things. People are leaving Bay Area in droves. Make$ $en$e. My only concern is those that leave don't ruin where they go like they ruined where they are. That may or may not apply to folks here, can't know that.

Didn't the dude that ruined SF get voted in for Gov? Who votes for that? Sanctuary? Read the Supremacy Clause in the constitution.

Exhaust. Long tubes with !cats, 02 sims, SLP "cat backs". Passed OBDII EMISSIONS...both cars had cams though the Firehawk a small 222/222 on a 114. Neither were obnoxious unless you were in the gas.

Cheers.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:48 AM   #31
joe944

Drives: 18' A10 ZL1 , 18' F150, 04' MSM
Just avoid the stupid meets where these guys are acting like asshats.

Also don't drive like an asshat, unless you know for sure no one is around.
joe944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:03 AM   #32
Chris C 1SS 1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe944 View Post
Just avoid the stupid meets where these guys are acting like asshats.

Also don't drive like an asshat, unless you know for sure no one is around.
Wel said. +1
Old 01-19-2019, 05:05 PM   #33
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
were did you put the cherry bombs? any pics. I wanted to do that but was told by the muffler shop they wont fit anywhere. I have 3"exhaust.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:03 PM   #34
Deputy Dog
Banned

Drives: 2017 Super Sport Cam.
The Peoples Republic of California will soon be outlawing all non electric car.
Deputy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 05:53 PM   #35
Rayvan
Rayvan

Drives: 2018 1SS1LE, Silver Ice Metallic
I know a San Jose cop personally. I asked him about it. He says "don't worry, unless you're a douche."

He's personally given one noise ticket; a tuner Civic that was loud AF. According to him, he's heard louder cars, and routinely leaves them alone. He said it was the super irritating *pitch* of the motor (wasn't a good sound at all) that was the main reason. That and the fact that guy was driving like a complete douche-bag (holding up traffic, trying to act cool).
Rayvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 04:51 AM   #36
SteevK

Drives: 2017 2SS Hyper blue A8 NPP MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowForm_Wheels View Post
The video that you see in that article is BS. You guys really believe everything a Police officer says? It's not illegal for a Police officer to lie guys, comon... That video is the reason why I think all of this started, but again it's BS. If you have a loud exhaust, it isn't simply a $1000 fine, it's not that cut and dry. If you have a loud exhaust, technically speaking it's a $193-$197 fine as I have mentioned.

Also that article is BS because the first resolution that it comes up with is Cut out's which explicitly is illegal in California (people do it anyway), as well as bypass mufflers which are essentially one in the same as they operate with a valve which is not legal. Sorry to say that article is pretty useless. Again the internet prevails in providing nonsense.

CA. V.C. 27150 (a) Every motor vehicle subject to registration shall be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise, and no muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass, or similar device.

Below are the list of fines and their dollar amounts if anyone is interested:

Sure, some exhaust fines as you see are over $1000, but if you look at the photos above, the first one says "Modification of Exhaust system with a Whistle-Tip." Anyone remember Bubb Rubb??? Nobody in CA actually does this -

This thread is just a bucket full of misinformation.
Where's that leave NPP? Do they not offer it in CA? What if I moved there, and already own the car w/NPP?

I'm 3000 miles away, just curious...

On edit: I just noticed that chart says State: PA (don't know where county #10 is) I can't remember anyone getting a noise ticket in the last 30 years or more. I guess if I do any exhaust (in Sept 2021, after warranty) I'll make sure to get one that preserves the NPP - besides, I like adjustability

Last edited by SteevK; 01-31-2019 at 05:39 AM.
SteevK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:08 AM   #37
24v
Account Suspended

Drives: 2018 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteevK View Post
Where's that leave NPP? Do they not offer it in CA? What if I moved there, and already own the car w/NPP?
NPP is not a cutout, or a muffler "bypass". The exhaust still travels through the muffler.
24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:14 AM   #38
DWR

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Simple legal way to solve your issue is to mail your registration information to South Dakota.... they register anyone without seeing the car or proof of residence and will mail you a plate. People use this trick to register dirtbikes for the road a fair amount from what I read.
2007 Toyota Corolla S -- Traded
2007 Colorado I-5 3.7L z85 2wd ext. cab --Totaled
2004 Silverado single cab 4.8l v-8 2wd -- Traded
2018 Camaro SS 1LE -- Current DD
DWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 09:06 AM   #39
ALLGM6

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayvan View Post
I know a San Jose cop personally. I asked him about it. He says "don't worry, unless you're a douche."

He's personally given one noise ticket; a tuner Civic that was loud AF. According to him, he's heard louder cars, and routinely leaves them alone. He said it was the super irritating *pitch* of the motor (wasn't a good sound at all) that was the main reason. That and the fact that guy was driving like a complete douche-bag (holding up traffic, trying to act cool).

I live in Hollister, CA and commute up to Santa Clara daily. I've had aftermarket exhaust on ALL of my cars and never had an issue, ever. I worry more about window tint (which I also have) then I do my exhaust. None of them are obnoxiously loud and they are all V6's and or V8's that have a good tone to them...if they didn't, I'd just leave it stock and save everyone the headache of listening to crap. LOL

I've also spoken to a guy that is in law enforcement and he said not to even worry...in fact, he wanted to hear the Corsa on my Tahoe, so he could put it on his new Silverado too.
ALLGM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 09:50 AM   #40
Umbriel

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24v View Post
NPP is not a cutout, or a muffler "bypass". The exhaust still travels through the muffler.
Lol, I guess it technically does but it isn't muffled at all as it is just straight pipe through the muffler.

Glad I don't live there and will never step foot in that state.
Umbriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 01:41 PM   #41
24v
Account Suspended

Drives: 2018 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbriel View Post
Lol, I guess it technically does but it isn't muffled at all as it is just straight pipe through the muffler.

Glad I don't live there and will never step foot in that state.
It is a perforated straight pipe, and also when that pipe is open it doesn't close off the other side, so at that point it also comes through the muffler. At no time does the exhaust completely bypass the muffler.
24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 01:45 PM   #42
Umbriel

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24v View Post
It is a perforated straight pipe, and also when that pipe is open it doesn't close off the other side, so at that point it also comes through the muffler. At no time does the exhaust completely bypass the muffler.
Yeah the middle pipes always go through the muffler and are always working, the outside pipes do bypass it though so it is a mix of both really when the valves are open. Still probably too loud for California I am sure.
Umbriel is offline   Reply With Quote