Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-15-2018, 10:45 AM   #1
UberDragon

Drives: 2018 Camaro RS Metallic Black-Out
Camaro Defrost Covers with OEM Appearance

Has anyone come across a defrost vent cover with an OEM look yet to solve the leaking AC issue? I'm in the market Please link me!

Having a 2018 here in New Orleans, while it's not at the level of being dangerous for me, it happens every day and is annoying! (And yes I know how to deal with it with wipers, and blasting the heat etc.. I'm just tired of having to do those things)

I've got some great ideas for it, such as rubberized piping so when it slips in place it actually seals. Whoever makes this product with a true OEM appearance/feel is going to be rich if they aren't already lol.

If this product still doesn't exist as we go into the 6th gens 4th production year, anyone know where I could find a template of that vent space so I could try to make my own?
UberDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:43 AM   #2
craigss50

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Fifty
I had the same problem down here in South Florida. I made one out of 1/8" thick black rubber and only covered the top 1 1/2" of the defrost grill (part closest to windshield) so that air still comes out but is not directed at the windshield. I traced the outline of the vent on a piece of paper, cut and taped it to the rubber and trimmed with scissors. Fastened it with 3m double sided trim tape. Outcome is ok but I would also like something more OEM looking. I no longer have the fogging issue so I am happy with it.
craigss50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 05:29 PM   #3
Blackboy1577

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigss50 View Post
I had the same problem down here in South Florida. I made one out of 1/8" thick black rubber and only covered the top 1 1/2" of the defrost grill (part closest to windshield) so that air still comes out but is not directed at the windshield. I traced the outline of the vent on a piece of paper, cut and taped it to the rubber and trimmed with scissors. Fastened it with 3m double sided trim tape. Outcome is ok but I would also like something more OEM looking. I no longer have the fogging issue so I am happy with it.
Do you have a pic? And where did you buy the rubber? Im in south florida also and this aggravates the living shit out of me. Lol!
Blackboy1577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 06:32 PM   #4
zr1chris

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS/1LE
I'd also like to know a solution for this.

How hard is it to do what you guys did with the rubber piece?
zr1chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 06:46 PM   #5
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
An oversize mouse pad or just a big piece of neoprene does the trick.

https://www.amazon.com/Extra-large-G.../dp/B0713N6CFC
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 07:40 PM   #6
craigss50

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Fifty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackboy1577 View Post
Do you have a pic? And where did you buy the rubber? Im in south florida also and this aggravates the living shit out of me. Lol!
The rubber is cut from a piece of stair step mat. I traced the outline on a piece of heavy paper cut and sized to fit. Use 3m trim tape to tack it down to the defrost grill. I only taped the edge close to the windshied so the rear of the rubber can blow up a little so some air would come out but not aimed close to the windshield. Works great. Looks ok. BTW the oversized mouse pad looks like it would also work.
craigss50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 11:36 AM   #7
SSJ455

Drives: "Kara Zor-El" 2017 2SS HBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigss50 View Post
The rubber is cut from a piece of stair step mat. I traced the outline on a piece of heavy paper cut and sized to fit. Use 3m trim tape to tack it down to the defrost grill. I only taped the edge close to the windshied so the rear of the rubber can blow up a little so some air would come out but not aimed close to the windshield. Works great. Looks ok. BTW the oversized mouse pad looks like it would also work.

I have done something like this, the only issues I have now are the cold air coming from the side defroster vents and the rubber also out gasses onto the windshield. When I park, I take the cover off and then put it back on when I use the car.

Has anyone made any covers for the small vent for the side windows?
Dangerzoooooone.

SSJ455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 12:06 PM   #8
00 Trans Ram

Drives: 2017 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberDragon View Post
Has anyone come across a defrost vent cover with an OEM look yet to solve the leaking AC issue? I'm in the market Please link me!

Having a 2018 here in New Orleans, while it's not at the level of being dangerous for me, it happens every day and is annoying! (And yes I know how to deal with it with wipers, and blasting the heat etc.. I'm just tired of having to do those things)

I've got some great ideas for it, such as rubberized piping so when it slips in place it actually seals. Whoever makes this product with a true OEM appearance/feel is going to be rich if they aren't already lol.

If this product still doesn't exist as we go into the 6th gens 4th production year, anyone know where I could find a template of that vent space so I could try to make my own?
Well, I had a thread with pics in it, but it looks like the pics have gone bye-bye. https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...hlight=defrost

Basically, made a template out of paper, then transferred the template to 3M Di-Noc. I originally used carbon fiber (because that’s what I had laying around).

A bit of an update to that thread. The tape I used eventually became less sticky. And, the paper warped a little. I remade it using the same 3M Di-Noc stuff, but this time in flat black. And, I just stuck it directly to the vent.

It’s been over a year now, and it’s held up perfectly in 100* heat and 20* cold.

I’m here in New Orleans (work downtown and live in Harahan). If you want to meet up somewhere so you can see it, let me know.
00 Trans Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 02:05 PM   #9
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
The problem is the difference in temperature, not really the fact that air is blowing on it. As long as the area is colder than the outside temperature and it is humid outside, its going to fog.

A guy commented on my YouTube video of this problem that he got the fix done at the dealership, and it still fogs up.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 03:18 PM   #10
SSJ455

Drives: "Kara Zor-El" 2017 2SS HBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
The problem is the difference in temperature, not really the fact that air is blowing on it. As long as the area is colder than the outside temperature and it is humid outside, its going to fog.

A guy commented on my YouTube video of this problem that he got the fix done at the dealership, and it still fogs up.
With the cover over the air vents near for the windshield I get no fogging up regardless of how cold I have it in the car and how warm and humid it is outside. I put the AC to 67-68 and the temp outside is 85-95 with 70+% humidity.
Dangerzoooooone.

SSJ455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 08:14 PM   #11
DavidinGA
Tread Marks

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue Camaro 2SS
I'm in GA, so we're super humid down here. What I do is running the ac at a higher temp; easy solution. I generally run the ac at 74f or so and have no issues.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
DavidinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 08:22 PM   #12
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinGA View Post
I generally run the ac at 74f or so and have no issues.
+1
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 08:28 AM   #13
majik755

Drives: 2017 Camaro RS Fiftieth Anniversary
I found this frustrating, but in another post on here, another member mentioned switching the vent function from Auto to the floor and dash vents. Since I did that, i have not had the problem. Makes sense, no cold air on windshield, no condensation from outside humidity.
majik755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:32 AM   #14
HighIron

Drives: 2024 2SS Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinGA View Post
I'm in GA, so we're super humid down here. What I do is running the ac at a higher temp; easy solution. I generally run the ac at 74f or so and have no issues.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Along those lines: Find out what the dewpoint is ( which is an infinitely more reliable/accurate way of determining the actual level of humidity than relative humidity ) and run the A/C at a value just a tad higher.
HighIron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camaro, cover, defrost, vent