Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-09-2018, 08:25 AM   #1
danbrew

Drives: 18 2SS A8
Service Tire Monitoring System

Have an 18 2SS with less than a thousand miles on it was out yesterday and received several messages on the driver information that said “service tire monitoring system”, or words to that effect. Didn’t think to take a photo of the message. I thought, dang, I’ve got a flat. No flat, but when I dialed in the tire pressure screen in the information center, it showed three of four tires. The reading for the front passenger tire was “—“. Bummer. Again, I thought it was a flat, so I pulled over to look at it. Everything is fine. Get back in the car, and now the TMS is showing all four tires at the correct pressure. Hmmm I go drive around some more and the same thing happens a few more times.

I figure the monitor in that tire is flakey. Anyone else have this problem? Solution? Figure it’s a dealer replacement issue,but wanted to ask the collective.

Many thanks,
danbrew
danbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:29 AM   #2
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
Warranty could be many thing's.
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:36 AM   #3
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
had this on my 2015.after 3 episodes at the dealer they rewired 4 wires that go around the windshield.no problems since,but they were required to try other solutions first.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:18 PM   #4
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Haven't had that happen (I'm around 4k miles). It's a dealer visit. They'll probably replace the sensor first.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:28 PM   #5
Booher

Drives: 2019 zl1 6 speed
I had my front passenger tire tpms replaced, it's been a month and now its acting up again as well as my driver side tpms. The tpms sensors in this car are junk imo, or maybe I just got that one. If you see dashes, the sensor isn't reading, If the tire is low or flat, or will show the low pressure reading onto the screen. Mine only act up on the freeway, probably 55+
Booher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:02 PM   #6
danbrew

Drives: 18 2SS A8
Yeah, that's exactly what mine did - I was at highway speeds. It only acted up that one day - I have yet to get it in to the dealer to get a paper trail started on it...
danbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:14 AM   #7
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Yeah that usually means the TPMS sensor is bad when you get the "service tire pressure system" and a "-" for the specific wheel. The sensor on my Mom's Lucerne just went out and that's exactly what it said.

Warranty should cover it no problem.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:56 PM   #8
DFW_Muscle

Drives: 2018 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
I’m having a similar issue. Actually, same exact symptoms as OP. However, I did rotate the front tires and did the TPMS relearn procedure and the same front left sensor still has intermittently issues. I would have thought the issue would follow the wheel after the rotation and relearn. Haven’t been to the dealer yet...
DFW_Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 10:57 AM   #9
Locotech

Drives: 2017 SS convertible 50th edition
2017 50th Anniversary 2SS Tire monitor

I have been through the ringer with the tire monitor system on my 2SS. It will randomly loss comms with one of the front tires. I have been to the dealer 6 times and now they are saying they are not going to fix it unless the light is on! They have changed just about every part in the system except the wiring harness, which is what it sounds like to me.
Very frustrating, I have a call into GM customer complaint line...waiting to hear back from them. The main issue is when the TM system is not working the traction control has issues.
Locotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 05:23 PM   #10
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
I had the same symptoms for some (but not all) of my TPMS sensors and it was caused by a cheap USB cable running to my rear dashcam creating interference. There was a bulletin in the dealership's system about possible causes of TPMS interference including aftermarket led bulbs. I already had LED side markers at the time but they were not the cause of my issue and it has not reoccurred even though I still have them.

Basically if you added any electronics around the time the issue started, try unplugging/removing them.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 02:42 PM   #11
Locotech

Drives: 2017 SS convertible 50th edition
2017 50th Anniversary 2SS Tire monitor

I have no electronics with the exception of LED marker lights and the issue was there before I changed the lights. I was just told by customer service that they will not be repairing (trying to repair) the car unless it becomes a hard failure.
I have started the Lemon Law process! Could very well be the last GM I own.
Locotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 06:47 AM   #12
2017-ZL1

Drives: 2017 Red Hot ZL1
Mine did it yesterday. Passengers front. About the third time. Drive it about 5 miles and it picked up communication again. It didn’t start until I took it in for a wiring harness recall. Something is interfering due to that change I believe. Not really worried about it. I’m going to put my scanner on it later today. I’ll leave it in history for GM. New tires and new sensors. Might as well.
2017-ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 10:01 AM   #13
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
they were required to try other solutions first.
This is one reason car dealers are infuriating. Proper, well trained and intelligent technicians know how to troubleshoot properly to properly diagnose and fix the problem once, the first time, without shotgunning it.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 01:57 PM   #14
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
my dealer is quite competent,but chevy apparently has them try other items before rerouting the 4 wires that caused trouble.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote