Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-21-2018, 10:41 PM   #141
Deputy Dog
Banned

Drives: 2017 Super Sport Cam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye View Post
They might be copying Ford. They don't give a damn about Honda.

Chevy is Fords #1 competitor.
Deputy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 05:26 AM   #142
Risky Justice

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lt4camaro View Post
The V6 is a much more viable engine combo than a crappy 4 banger turbo
Dude, you could put every bolt on minus forced induction on your V6 and I’d still beat you with less than $1500 invested into the 4 turbo. It’s already turbocharged and the displacement/cylinder difference isn’t large enough to matter. To beat it you’d be pissing away money essentially, and you should have gone with the V8 in the first place at that point.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:37 AM   #143
yankee

Drives: 2018 Camaro LT RS, 2015 Mazda 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Risky Justice View Post
Dude, you could put every bolt on minus forced induction on your V6 and I’d still beat you with less than $1500 invested into the 4 turbo. It’s already turbocharged and the displacement/cylinder difference isn’t large enough to matter. To beat it you’d be pissing away money essentially, and you should have gone with the V8 in the first place at that point.
The sound + room to breathe of the V6 makes it a better value than the 2.0T
So I hope they will keep it and better, turbocharge it.
yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 06:09 AM   #144
Risky Justice

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee View Post
The sound + room to breathe of the V6 makes it a better value than the 2.0T
So I hope they will keep it and better, turbocharge it.
Turbocharging it would be a lot more costly than the 2.0T, and would essentially be a Chevy badged ATS-V at that point.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:13 AM   #145
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
I think it makes sense to drop the V6, It overlaps with the T4. But sadly the V6 sounds so much better. So if Chevy does that I hope there are V8s left so you can still choose music to your ears.

Chevy is under pressure to save $$ to stay alive. The extra drive train is a big expense. I think a T4 and small turbo V8 hybrid makes a good combination. Oh and an all out Turbo V8 version at the top.

However I will keep my old school Camaro. I do not see how Chevy could improve this car.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:31 AM   #146

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
If I recall correctly, not too long ago Ford/Mustang reconfigured their line up with the 6cyl as the entry level, and the 4cyl as the performance upgrade....and it was considered a colossal marketing and pr disaster and sales blunder....Now Chevy and Camaro want to do the same thing?...

Cadillac I believe has come out with several performance/turbo V6s for their lineup and get rave reviews....but those are off-limits to Chevy....they are deemed to be a hands-off Cadillac exclusive!...lol

Not sure of all the details, but the 4 cyl turbos were supposedly more expensive to manufacture and their longevity was questionable by pushing it to it's limits....

The V-6 for Chevy and Camaro have been rock-solid for many years, but now we are trying to be convinced we shouldn't want them anymore, what were we thinking, etc....lol...

I sort of agree, Chevy can't help but copy Ford and Mustang, whether it's a good idea or not...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 08:26 AM   #147
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
If I recall correctly, not too long ago Ford/Mustang reconfigured their line up with the 6cyl as the entry level, and the 4cyl as the performance upgrade....and it was considered a colossal marketing and pr disaster and sales blunder....Now Chevy and Camaro want to do the same thing?...

Cadillac I believe has come out with several performance/turbo V6s for their lineup and get rave reviews....but those are off-limits to Chevy....they are deemed to be a hands-off Cadillac exclusive!...lol

Not sure of all the details, but the 4 cyl turbos were supposedly more expensive to manufacture and their longevity was questionable by pushing it to it's limits....

The V-6 for Chevy and Camaro have been rock-solid for many years, but now we are trying to be convinced we shouldn't want them anymore, what were we thinking, etc....lol...

I sort of agree, Chevy can't help but copy Ford and Mustang, whether it's a good idea or not...
The bold part is correct except for the blue .

Ford did position the 2.3T above the 3.7NA, but they did it because it was a more capable engine. Then they got rid of the 3.7 engine, again, because the 2.3T was more capable. If it was a mistake, they would've kept the 6 and gotten rid of the 4.

GM took a different approach with the 2.0T. They focused more on FE with decent power whereas Ford pretty much duplicated the approach they took with the EcoBoost 6 in trucks. When it launched, the 3.5TT was priced $1,000 above the 5.4L V8 in the trucks. And the take rate was 40%. That's called printing money. The price difference is less now, but the take rate is still around the same.

In the Mustang situation, Ford was in a position of having two engines at or above 300 hp, without much separation between them (10 hp, advantage 2.3T). And the 2.3T also had a 3 mpg FE advantage. This helped Ford's CAFE position, so if choosing between the two as a corporate planner, the V6 is a goner. And that's exactly what happened.

With Camaro, the 2.0T has a 2 mpg advantage over the V6 (more if comparing MT to MT) but makes 60 less hp. Buyers pay for hp, not fuel economy, so positioning the V6 above the I4 makes sense. For Mustang, the 2.3T had the advantage in both columns. Now way they could charge more for the V6 when the I4 was a better performer with better fuel economy.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 10:29 AM   #148
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:

The sound, torque , feel of a V6 over a 4 banger is huge. Can mode the V6 to kill the POS 4 banger at any level.

There isnt a fart can souped up 4 cyl that sounds good on this planet .
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 10:37 AM   #149
IMadeYouReadThis

Drives: 02 Camaro SS 6M / 11 GMC Sierra
Quote:
Turbocharging it would be a lot more costly than the 2.0T, and would essentially be a Chevy badged ATS-V at that point.

That would be awesome. I would buy that.
IMadeYouReadThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 10:49 AM   #150
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
Quote:
Originally Posted by lt4camaro View Post
The sound, torque , feel of a V6 over a 4 banger is huge. Can mode the V6 to kill the POS 4 banger at any level.

There isnt a fart can souped up 4 cyl that sounds good on this planet .

This is one of the most UN-informed posts I've seen in a long time.

Literally nothing you said is right.. ..

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 10:53 AM   #151
GooseSS

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1965 View Post
This is one of the most UN-informed posts I've seen in a long time.

Literally nothing you said is right.. ..
Agreed. I had a wrx and that thing sounded beautiful. Better than a new m3 for example with that v6. A lot of these v6s still sound like the old GM 3800s from years ago.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
GooseSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 11:08 AM   #152
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
If it's going to come down to chasing more power and beating the other guy, you need to be thinking V8 from the get-go. Not sixxers or turbo-fours.

I think if you're shopping at the 300-ish HP level by choice rather than necessity, it's not as important to have the most power or be able to beat most other cars you run across.

The 2.7L engine was specifically designed for use in full-size trucks, not cars with a legitimate claim of sportiness. A high-revving short-stroke V6 that you wind out fits a sports car better than a long-stroke engine designed for low-end grunt.

Norm
Old 08-22-2018, 11:25 AM   #153
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by GooseSS View Post
Agreed. I had a wrx and that thing sounded beautiful. Better than a new m3 for example with that v6. A lot of these v6s still sound like the old GM 3800s from years ago.
BMWs do not run V6 engines. They're inline-6. Though either configuration can conveniently run exhaust systems that never have two cylinders in sequential firing order dumping into the same pipe.

Sixxers with the right exhaust have a distinctive sound all their own. What GM did years ago might be an example of what not to do.

Designers of Subaru exhaust systems have to be careful, lest under some conditions the car end up sounding like an early 40-HP VW Beetle.

Norm
Old 08-22-2018, 11:25 AM   #154
SSJ455

Drives: "Kara Zor-El" 2017 2SS HBM
I have a 2.0 turbo in my 2013 Regal GS. I do like it, but it lacks the power off the line from the V6 I had in my 2011 Camaro. The turbo spools up pretty quick but you lose the power until it does.
I would prefer the V6 be the base and drop the turbo all together.
Dangerzoooooone.

SSJ455 is offline   Reply With Quote