Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-29-2017, 06:20 AM   #1
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
"Reverse MoHawk - Sunroof?"

This may be the dumbest question you may have read but I'm going to have to ask it anyway...

When I got my 1LT, initially I wanted a sunroof but I ended up settling without one. I actually like the whole roof LOOK of the car, but at times on sunny spring / summer days I wish I had that sunroof, while I'm inside the car... It's weird because while I'm inside the car I wish it had a sunroof but while I'm outside of it, I have to admit it would destroy the roof of the car..

My dealer referred me to a bodyshop who will install a sunroof for me for $1k which is much less than what I thought it would cost..especially since our roof has a Mo-Hawk and they seem to be aware of this as well.. So how does that end up looking? or are they even aware of the difference?

The other question is... Do you think, as crazy as it sounds.. that it would be possible to literally have glass molded with the same contours as the Reverse Mo-Hawk, so when the roof is down it literally shapes and flows with the rest of the roof? only made of glass instead?

Just wondering.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 07:19 AM   #2
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
We got a guy locally with a original reverse mohawk roof on a 5th gen. Sunroof is aftermarket. Its not bad. Not really even notocable...
Attached Images

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant

Last edited by PolynesianPowerhouse; 05-29-2017 at 10:08 AM.
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 07:23 AM   #3
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
We got a guy locally with a original reverse mohawk roof on a 5th gen. Sunroof is aftermarket. Its not bad. Not really even notocable...
Is there any pictures of this? I should have noted btw I have a 6th Gen
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 07:26 AM   #4
CamaroNorth2017
Nuclear Engineer

Drives: 2017 NGM Camaro 1LT
I like the idea of the sunroof glass contouring with the body lines on the roof. I wish GM did the stock sunroof that way.
2017 Camaro 1LT - Nightfall Gray Metallic - LTG 2.0L Turbo I4 - 8-Speed Auto - 20" Low Gloss Black Alum. Wheels - Matte Black RS Spoiler - LED Headlamps - Sunroof - Bose Premium Sound System - Smoked Tail lights - Rear Decklid Blackout - Black Bowties - Technology Package

"Sometimes she goes, sometimes she doesn't. She didn't go. That's the way she goes." - Ray
CamaroNorth2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 07:41 AM   #5
AdmAnt13

Drives: '16 Red Hot 2SS M6 NPP
I'd be interested in seeing what this looks like as I do not have the sun roof and sometimes wish I did. But feel exactly like the OP and don't want to ruin the beautiful roof line.

'16 2SS, M6, Borla Atak
AdmAnt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 08:22 AM   #6
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Please don't ruin the look of the reverse Mohawk roof on your Camaro! That would be my thought on the idea.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:06 AM   #7
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Pics added. Like said, its not bad. 5th gen or 6th gen the concept is still the same

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 03:04 PM   #8
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
It looks like the center section channel might be deeper on the Gen6 than on the Gen5 to me! Don't really know how a sunroof could be put in without having water leaks and rattles too. I remember in the late 70s early 80s every shop seemed to be installing sunroofs in cars and trucks and most of them were water leakers no matter how they were sealed. A lot of musclecars were ruined by cutting their roofs to install them. So my suggestion would be to buy a car with one installed as a factory option.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:07 PM   #9
nate.the.great

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
The other question is... Do you think, as crazy as it sounds.. that it would be possible to literally have glass molded with the same contours as the Reverse Mo-Hawk, so when the roof is down it literally shapes and flows with the rest of the roof? only made of glass instead?

Just wondering.
Custom molded glass? I can't imagine that costs less than $10k-$20k just for the initial mold.
nate.the.great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 05:59 PM   #10
MGD

Drives: 16 Camaro SS
They can use Lexan to do the glass. Unbreakable and easy to work with.