Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-23-2019, 10:35 AM   #29
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampa_ss View Post
I assume (by the way you're responding) there's a place to mount the IAT sensor where no meth and only air hits it. if so, where is that sweet spot?

thanks in advance
Move the sensor all the way in the back of the manifold.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 10:50 AM   #30
grampa_ss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
Move the sensor all the way in the back of the manifold.
Gotcha, thanks.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:36 AM   #31
DorkMissile

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE HyperBlue
Fyi - my tuner wanted it as close to the TB as possible, so it is about 1” behind it on the passenger side (also where Julio from Alky wanted it). Nozzles are 5” ahead of the TB. There is no doubt in my mind that the meth is hitting the sensor.

My tank is the windshield washer tank so the methanol itself is plenty heat soaked, the temps I am seeing should be relevant to the air itself. I know while tuning the top of the intake would be 80ish degrees when touched by hand (and hot prior)
Old 07-23-2019, 12:00 PM   #32
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkMissile View Post
My tank is the windshield washer tank so the methanol itself is plenty heat soaked, the temps I am seeing should be relevant to the air itself. I know while tuning the top of the intake would be 80ish degrees when touched by hand (and hot prior)
Washer tank temp is actually not an issue. The latent heat absorption of the methanol to effect the phase change from liquid to vapor is what soaks up the intake tract heat significantly, *not* the sensible (measurable) temp of the methanol itself. So, yes, your IAT can be below the ambient temp for sure.
Old 07-23-2019, 02:12 PM   #33
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Fyi - my tuner wanted it as close to the TB as possible, so it is about 1” behind it on the passenger side (also where Julio from Alky wanted it). Nozzles are 5” ahead of the TB. There is no doubt in my mind that the meth is hitting the sensor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
Washer tank temp is actually not an issue. The latent heat absorption of the methanol to effect the phase change from liquid to vapor is what soaks up the intake tract heat significantly, *not* the sensible (measurable) temp of the methanol itself. So, yes, your IAT can be below the ambient temp for sure.
That is in an effort to create a fast responding Fail safe.

There is no questing of the fact that the evaporation creates a cooling effect.

What I want to see is the end result as far from the meth nozzle as possible.

What are Cylinders 7-8 seeing for actual IAT.

If you spray liquid on a hot sensor you will quickly evaporate the liquid causing a false reading.

Ted.
Old 07-27-2019, 05:05 PM   #34
Markoz28

Drives: 18 ZL1 nightfall grey A10
Putting the IAT sensor to the back of the manifold makes a lot of sense. That will be where temps would be hotter I’m sure.
Markoz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 11:48 PM   #35
DorkMissile

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE HyperBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
That is in an effort to create a fast responding Fail safe.

There is no questing of the fact that the evaporation creates a cooling effect.

What I want to see is the end result as far from the meth nozzle as possible.

What are Cylinders 7-8 seeing for actual IAT.

If you spray liquid on a hot sensor you will quickly evaporate the liquid causing a false reading.

Ted.
Ted - this is as far as I can get from disputing something, but my "sensor" reads pretty close to ambient (6-10 degrees) unless I let it sit and idle for a very long time in hot weather when not on boost. Of course it is going to get cool when the alcohol hits it, but the OP wanted to know about IAT temps
Old 07-31-2019, 08:21 AM   #36
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Ted - this is as far as I can get from disputing something, but my "sensor" reads pretty close to ambient (6-10 degrees) unless I let it sit and idle for a very long time in hot weather when not on boost. Of course it is going to get cool when the alcohol hits it, but the OP wanted to know about IAT temps
Pretty typical of front mount intercooled Century systems, you are not producing any boost until you are past the throttle position that crosses over Atomopheric pressure and closes your bypass valve/valves.

You are dumping most of the heat before the intercooler via your bypass to atmosphere.

So you have a very large heat sink at ambient temps ready to soak up any heat the blower makes when you initially hit boost.

The longer you stay in the throttle the hotter that intercooler brick gets then pretty far down track the IAT will start to rise, this varies hugely with intercooler size, airflow across the intercooler, Which supercharger you are running, where you are getting your intake air, and how much boost you are running.

It is perfectly normal with your system to see reletively low IAT on a short run with or without Meth.

Many times discussion takes a turn in another unintended direction which can help the whole community learn.

The point I am making is about IAT sensor Placement with use of Meth injection, and the possibility to get false readings.

Ted.