Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-10-2023, 07:04 PM   #1
BanOne

Drives: 1977 Pontiac Trans Am
Rear Diff and Manual Transmission Fluid

Alright guys was tracing cooling lines under the car today and it looks as though the diff fluid and transmission fluid share the same cooling lines. Does the fluid mix, I would not think so but not familiar with the coolers on this car.

I have royal purple syncromesh in the transmission and the GM 75-90 in the rear end.

Doug
BanOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 07:10 PM   #2
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
No, the fluids don't mix.

But yes, the trans fluid gets routed to the rear diff housing for cooling (presumably liquid to liquid heat exchange). This way the trans cooler at the front can cool both. The trans fluid stays remarkably cool, so the whole setup seems to do it's job well.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 07:56 PM   #3
BanOne

Drives: 1977 Pontiac Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post
No, the fluids don't mix.

But yes, the trans fluid gets routed to the rear diff housing for cooling (presumably liquid to liquid heat exchange). This way the trans cooler at the front can cool both. The trans fluid stays remarkably cool, so the whole setup seems to do it's job well.
Huh I expected that it was a fluid to fluid exchanger at the back, but I am not sure I saw a second set of lines going to the front for a trans cooler, may need to look closer

Thanks
BanOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 11:35 PM   #4
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
I can't tell what kind of 6Gen you have, but if it's at least an SS (which sounds like it is) you have an auxiallary engine cooler in the front on the side, as well as a trans cooler laying on it's back, just behind the front spoiler and facia in the center. You should be able to see cooling lines running to it from the lower portion of the trans. Then of course there's also an oil cooler in front side as well.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote