Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 02-05-2023, 08:33 AM   #1
ponycar

Drives: Chevrolet CamaroSS 1LE
AIM Solo mounting option

Hey track rats, I've been running a caged Corvette C5 Z06 for 8 years. Last season I got a Gen 6 SS1LE and prepped it too run in HPDEs.
I looked at mounting options for an AIM Solo and found the solutions that I saw online to be less than ideal, especially in light of wanting yo be able to visually process the shift LEDs. I'm attempting to upload photos of the simple bracket that I fabbed from aluminum angle that I bought at Lowes. From my seating position it sits nicely below the head up, and above the gauges. I hope this can be of value to some members.
Attached Images

Last edited by ponycar; 02-05-2023 at 08:48 AM. Reason: typo
ponycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 08:41 AM   #2
ponycar

Rotated photos

It looks like my photos posted at unintended angles, but they seem to get the message across. I drilled a single hole through the thin plastic shade over the gauges. To drill effortlessly I used an inexpensive Dewalt right angle drill attachment to be able to drill in the limited space between the windshield and cowl. The plastic sun shield is quite strong, and the hole will not be readily visible if I were to eventually remove the AIM.

Last edited by ponycar; 02-05-2023 at 08:47 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-05-2023, 09:05 AM   #3
sr71bb

Drives: 2019 Camaro Z-28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponycar View Post
It looks like my photos posted at unintended angles, but they seem to get the message across. I drilled a single hole through the thin plastic shade over the gauges. To drill effortlessly I used an inexpensive Dewalt right angle drill attachment to be able to drill in the limited space between the windshield and cowl. The plastic sun shield is quite strong, and the hole will not be readily visible if I were to eventually remove the AIM.
Looks Great!!!
https://youtu.be/c9M5UHDftcA
4-15-23 at SCCA TT U1 Class

MEGA Thread on THIS car:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602092

Retired Cars BELOW:
1973 Camaro, 1969 Camaro, 1969 Camaro SS RS
2010 Camaro SS with 1000HP F1R, 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
sr71bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 09:13 AM   #4
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
Not a bad location but I think most people will be discouraged to drill a hole in their car. There was another member who did something similar using a proclip USA phone mount that might be slightly more elegant.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=607138
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 04:49 PM   #5
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
I did this

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=607138
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2023, 09:31 AM   #6
ponycar

I've looked at the Proclip, however at speed the location directly below the head up display is far superior. In addition my mount is much stronger. The Proclip is not something that I would rely on in a track situation, too much mass being held by a plastic clip.
If you sit in your car it becomes apparent that an abstract future buyer would never notice the hole. It just cannot be seen except if you stand outside the car and look down through the windshield. Even then I centered it so that it is a non issue. After a decade in race cars, and in student cars with shiver inducing levels of questionable approaches to safety, I prioritize car prep.
Another example, look at the lap belt angle in a Camaro where the end user installed a slider and attached the belt to the stock locations on a widely used seat base. This stuff can be scary if approached too casually.