Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-03-2021, 06:37 PM   #1
JoeCamaro444

Drives: 2018 2SS M6 Hot Wheels Camaro
Interior door lock red LED on with car armed and off

Forgive me if this has been answered in here already. I’m guessing it has, but I searched and could only find it mentioned in a thread about a battery getting mysteriously drained. It did not mention if it is normal for the red LED near each interior door lock and handle, to remain illuminated with the vehicle off, and locked and armed. I looked it and noticed, in addition to the flashing red alarm light on the dash near the windshield, each door lock LED was illuminated red. I waited a bit and it never went out. Checked the owner’s manual and couldn’t find a mention of it either. Any info would be appreciated.
1988 IROC-Z (tons of mods), 1995 Z28, 1998 Z28, 2006 GTO, 2010 Camaro 1SS, 2015 Subaru STI, a couple Acuras and multiple Jeeps.
JoeCamaro444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 07:14 PM   #2
Aaron07

Drives: 2017 2SS F1FTY
I too have had that issue on my 2017. I haven't had it happen in awhile though and never found out what it was, but I don't think its normal.

A little back story: I had a service engine light with a couple different codes, p069e and p2535. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the key fob battery and I also replaced the car battery at the same time since they tested it and said it was on its way out. The codes and those lights went off. The codes have came back a couple times since but they've went away and I haven't had an issue with those or the red lights in a while. I recommend getting your car battery tested, and replacing the key fob battery. If your car battery is good try disconnecting it for 15 mins and then reconnecting. The electronics in these cars seem to be very sensitive.
Aaron07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 07:54 PM   #3
Allez

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
The little red light does light up when I lock the doors; that's how I can check to make sure they're locked - look for the light inside the passenger door.
Allez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 08:09 PM   #4
JoeCamaro444

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez View Post
The little red light does light up when I lock the doors; that's how I can check to make sure they're locked - look for the light inside the passenger door.
Thank you. I checked again, after my post. When I went to my garage they were off. I opened and started my car, then shut it off and armed it. They stayed illuminated for about 10 minutes I’m guessing, then went off. I should have timed how long they stayed on, so I could pass it on in here, but it was over 5 minutes and under 20. I’m guessing it’s an indicator that the doors are locked, as you mentioned. Seems like it’s normal, unless they didn’t go off at all, then I’d be concerned. Might be a timed thing like courtesy lights.
1988 IROC-Z (tons of mods), 1995 Z28, 1998 Z28, 2006 GTO, 2010 Camaro 1SS, 2015 Subaru STI, a couple Acuras and multiple Jeeps.
Old 04-03-2021, 08:14 PM   #5
JoeCamaro444

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron07 View Post
I too have had that issue on my 2017. I haven't had it happen in awhile though and never found out what it was, but I don't think its normal.

A little back story: I had a service engine light with a couple different codes, p069e and p2535. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the key fob battery and I also replaced the car battery at the same time since they tested it and said it was on its way out. The codes and those lights went off. The codes have came back a couple times since but they've went away and I haven't had an issue with those or the red lights in a while. I recommend getting your car battery tested, and replacing the key fob battery. If your car battery is good try disconnecting it for 15 mins and then reconnecting. The electronics in these cars seem to be very sensitive.
Thank you for your information! Check my other reply in here for what I found out about mine. They stayed on for a few minutes, then went off. Guessing that may be a courtesy light thing to show doors are locked. If they didn’t go off at all I’d be concerned. I thought they were going to stay on. They were illuminated for about 10 minutes after I armed my vehicle.

I hope your issue clears up for good and causes no more headaches!

PS: I’m sure I’m due for a key fob battery soon. They are both the originals. I’m hoping I get another year or two out my car battery at least. Fingers crossed.
Old 04-03-2021, 08:24 PM   #6
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
My 2017 ZL1 does that too and also the 2016 2SS I used to own. The lights go off like you found out.
Old 04-03-2021, 08:27 PM   #7
JoeCamaro444

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
My 2017 ZL1 does that too and also the 2016 2SS I used to own. The lights go off like you found out.
Thank you!
Old 04-03-2021, 09:29 PM   #8
Aaron07

Drives: 2017 2SS F1FTY
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCamaro444 View Post
Thank you for your information! Check my other reply in here for what I found out about mine. They stayed on for a few minutes, then went off. Guessing that may be a courtesy light thing to show doors are locked. If they didn’t go off at all I’d be concerned. I thought they were going to stay on. They were illuminated for about 10 minutes after I armed my vehicle.

I hope your issue clears up for good and causes no more headaches!

PS: I’m sure I’m due for a key fob battery soon. They are both the originals. I’m hoping I get another year or two out my car battery at least. Fingers crossed.
Mine were staying on for hours. So far so good after a few months, but yeah the tech said these key fobs can cause issues if on low voltage!
Aaron07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 10:26 PM   #9
JoeCamaro444

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron07 View Post
Mine were staying on for hours. So far so good after a few months, but yeah the tech said these key fobs can cause issues if on low voltage!
Yeah, hours would have worried me. Glad it has ceased to be an issue for you. Thanks for the heads up on the key fob stuff too!
Old 04-05-2021, 08:18 PM   #10
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Forgive me if this has been answered in here already. I’m guessing it has, but I searched and could only find it mentioned in a thread about a battery getting mysteriously drained. It did not mention if it is normal for the red LED near each interior door lock and handle, to remain illuminated with the vehicle off, and locked and armed. I looked it and noticed, in addition to the flashing red alarm light on the dash near the windshield, each door lock LED was illuminated red. I waited a bit and it never went out. Checked the owner’s manual and couldn’t find a mention of it either. Any info would be appreciated.
When you lock the door, the alarm LED in the center of the dash will begin blinking twice per second. After roughly 30 seconds, it will switch to one blink every two seconds.

Also when you lock the door, the light on the "Lock" button on both doors will light up a solid red. This light remains on for roughly 90 seconds before turning off.

These are default, correct behaviors for these two indicators upon locking/closing the doors.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 09:17 PM   #11
JoeCamaro444

Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
When you lock the door, the alarm LED in the center of the dash will begin blinking twice per second. After roughly 30 seconds, it will switch to one blink every two seconds.

Also when you lock the door, the light on the "Lock" button on both doors will light up a solid red. This light remains on for roughly 90 seconds before turning off.

These are default, correct behaviors for these two indicators upon locking/closing the doors.
My red LEDs for the door locks stay solid red after I lock the car and arm it with the key fob, for about 10 minutes, then they go out. The alarm indicator on the dash behaves as you said. I know my key fob battery is getting low. I wonder if that plays into anything.
Old 04-06-2021, 07:55 AM   #12
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
My red LEDs for the door locks stay solid red after I lock the car and arm it with the key fob, for about 10 minutes, then they go out. The alarm indicator on the dash behaves as you said. I know my key fob battery is getting low. I wonder if that plays into anything.
Hmmm.

My process for all locking and unlocking was via the button on the door handle. I will try again later today with they key fob and see if it behaves any differently. I did it multiple times with the Driver 1 fob in my pocket and the Driver 2 fob in the house, three rooms and 30' away (car in the garage). Car was built Summer of 2019, bought early June 2020, and has only 4k miles on it. In other words, the batteries are not 100% brand new, but usage has been extremely low. And for the last five months, the Driver 1 fob and the car have been over 20 miles apart (storage - not sure what being in proximity of the car does to any sort of battery drain on the fob).

Would you try using the handle button as well and we can compare notes? Maybe also try with your primary remote far away from the car and having the secondary remote close by? If you start getting different results, maybe try the lock with the secondary remote and see if it also leaves the lights on for a long time?
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 08:49 AM   #13
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
The red LEDs on the door lock buttons are really only there to indicate door lock status while you're in the car and/or driving it. It's because you no longer see the physical, mechanical door lock switch like you do in older cars to indicate whether the door is locked or unlocked by looking at it. Also, since these doors will open when you pull the handle twice (as opposed to older cars which will not open at all if the lock is locked) if it weren't for an LED indicator people wouldn't know if the door is locked or unlocked at all.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 01:31 PM   #14
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Just and FYI...

If those LEDs stayed on full time it would take nearly a year for it to run down your battery. Fran doing quick math off the top of his head. Probably longer.

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote