Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 11-05-2017, 06:10 PM   #1
BabyDriver

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
2017 Camaro SS Steering Wheel Light Vibration Issue at Low Speed or Stopped

Hey guys, I've had my 2017 Camaro SS for over a year now, currently I am at 17,000 miles. And I have been loving driving it every single mile. However there has been a little issue since around 10,000 miles.

So every time I do the parking maneuver or while I was stopped and turned the steering wheel left and right consistently (about 180 degrees total), there is always light steering wheel vibrations going on, it's like something is tapping on the steering wheel. So from on center steering wheel position, you turn steering wheel 90 degrees to the left and then without stop you turn 90 degrees to the right, there will be 2 or 3 tapping vibration during this whole maneuver. The tapping vibration is like releasing some pressure in the steering system...if it makes sense. No noise, just the vibration.

So I took the car to the dealership, and they put it on the hoist and started turning steering wheel left and right, and the vibration is still there. In the end, they told me that they inspected the tie rods were okay, the steering rack was okay, the root cause was steering column is bad. They wanted to replace the steering column for me. I declined to do so, because I was hoping there could be some easy fix and I don't want my fairly new steering column to be torn apart and maybe not putting back correctly. I believe most of us have heard all kinds of bad experience about dealership services, such as they usually don't torque to the spec or do some other stupid stuff. So I am hoping there can be some owners that having the same issue or someone knowing how to fix it, so that I can try to fix it myself.

Anyway thanks in advance guys! Looking forward to hearing your ideas.
BabyDriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering column, steering wheel, vibration