Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 07-17-2018, 02:11 PM   #29
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
I've had ceramic on 3 of our vehicles and am very happy with the results after 18 months.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:07 PM   #30
TMS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE - HBM, PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Cook View Post
That's cool. It was a very tough decision picking between the GT350R or the ZL1 1LE. I can go into more detail sometime, maybe even in a video, but I'm happy with the choice I've made. I'm wanting a Red one. If you see any, I'm hoping to find a good deal on a used one (maybe a divorce or someone that scared themselves haha). Hope to catch you out there sometime!
Last week Performance Chevrolet in Sacramento received 3 ZL1 1LEs. I only buy from them. Great guys. The GM called me last week to let me know they just received these 3 cars and they are all available. They all have PDRs. One black, one blue and one red. Good luck on your search.
JRE Tuned (HPTuners) | 15% OD (9.17" crank pulley) | TVS2300 Maggie Heartbeat Supercharger - 14 psi | E-50 (DSX Flex Fuel kit) | JMS FuelMax Fuel Pump Booster | LPE Big Bore High Volume DI fuel pump | LPE High Flow DI fuel injectors | LT5 95mm TB | RotoFab CAI | AEM X-Series OBD2 wide band gauge | Elite Engineering E2-X catch can | Borla S-type NPP Cat-Back 3" exhaust | Forgeline GTD1 5-lug Satin Graphite | SunTek wrap | C-Quartz Finest Reserve ceramic coated
TMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:39 PM   #31
Rnovrit

Drives: 2018 NFG ZL1-1LE
Quote:
What do you think they would sell it for? I didn't see it on their website.
Not sure. I was there last Friday at the service department and it was still in their show room. I would assume you could get them 3-5k under msrp but you would need to feel them out. I grabbed mine for 6k under but that was a completely different dealer. I also had access to the GM dealer portal through a friend so I had all the back info on the car and dealer.
Rnovrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 04:06 PM   #32
trakdayz

Drives: E92 M3 & E36 M3 (Full Race car)
Quote:
I would love to know,
1) Do you feel the weight of the car?
Most definitely. It is a fairly heavy car. Amazing how much weight they got out of the car though. I drove a 5th Gen ZL1 and that felt VERY heavy in comparison. I think the team did an impressive job to get it to feel how it does. Very nimble and enjoyable to drive.
2) Any overheating? Limp modes?
NONE!!! Actually a great question because this is one of the main factors for me looking to purchase this car. I think this topic is highly underrated for track car purchases. It really comes down to the driver and the conditions you are in (track temps, etc), but for myself I have found that so many cars easily overheat. One side note I'd like to add is I drive with no traction/stability control and I've noticed with some cars with those on the front brakes can be used so much you can overheat those. I had no issues at all with any components of the car in 86 degree weather. I didn't do a full session, but it handled it all very well unlike the C7 Z06
3) Did you adjust the camber and how simple was it?
I did not adjust the camber. It was at 2.7 degrees. I suggested Dom increase the camber. I looked it up and it seems to be fairly easy. He is getting it adjusted to 3.1/3.2 for the next event. I will see how it changes things.

Great driving!
Thank you. Loved every minute of it. I think you can tell I was trying something new on each lap for many of the corners. Would love to see what I can get down to with more laps under my belt (and better traffic/weather conditions)
Thank you for the response!
Well this made my decision somewhat clearer.
Just came back from the Glen in my E92 M3 that has eveything but a full cage...currently have a 4pt. my transmission went into limp mode and i have CSF Aftermarket coolers throughout the whole car!
Time to go american i feel.
trakdayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 04:11 PM   #33
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMS View Post
Last week Performance Chevrolet in Sacramento received 3 ZL1 1LEs. I only buy from them. Great guys. The GM called me last week to let me know they just received these 3 cars and they are all available. They all have PDRs. One black, one blue and one red. Good luck on your search.
How's Performance's service department?
Old 07-17-2018, 04:37 PM   #34
Jeff Cook
Account Suspended

Drives: Soon to be ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-99SS View Post
I've had ceramic on 3 of our vehicles and am very happy with the results after 18 months.
It seems like the way to go. I have it on one of my cars right now and every time I clean it the car looks brand new. The ceramic coat on the wheels and calipers doesn't seem as impressive to me, but it could have been how the place did it.
Jeff Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 04:40 PM   #35
Jeff Cook
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by trakdayz View Post
Thank you for the response!
Well this made my decision somewhat clearer.
Just came back from the Glen in my E92 M3 that has eveything but a full cage...currently have a 4pt. my transmission went into limp mode and i have CSF Aftermarket coolers throughout the whole car!
Time to go american i feel.
Just make sure to invest in the 1LE package. Without all of the cooling options, you might as well throw everything we said out the window. I'm sorry to hear about your issues. I used to have a pretty heavily modified 335i and had overheating issues everywhere, totally understand.

I love the ZL1, but the SS 1LE is also very good. You won't be disappointed. The only other option would be the GT350 or GT350R, just make sure you get the track pack if you do the GT350 with the coolers, or again you'll run into the same issue. I drove a GT350 without the coolers at Laguna one time and it overheated in 2 laps. The R I drove didn't have any issues at all.
Old 07-17-2018, 05:17 PM   #36
TMS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE - HBM, PDR
I do virtually all of my own vehicle servicing so I haven't used the service department much. I did have a factory issue with the A/C on my wife's car for which I had Performance Chevrolet service since it was under warranty. No issues. I also had a non-warranty repair with the same car just last year and they were great. Very communicative and quickly found the problem, called for repair authorization gave price estimate and time estimate. They held true to their estimates. Painless experience both times. That said, I have used their service department only these two times so I probably am not the best barometer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblurr View Post
How's Performance's service department?
Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
JRE Tuned (HPTuners) | 15% OD (9.17" crank pulley) | TVS2300 Maggie Heartbeat Supercharger - 14 psi | E-50 (DSX Flex Fuel kit) | JMS FuelMax Fuel Pump Booster | LPE Big Bore High Volume DI fuel pump | LPE High Flow DI fuel injectors | LT5 95mm TB | RotoFab CAI | AEM X-Series OBD2 wide band gauge | Elite Engineering E2-X catch can | Borla S-type NPP Cat-Back 3" exhaust | Forgeline GTD1 5-lug Satin Graphite | SunTek wrap | C-Quartz Finest Reserve ceramic coated
TMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 06:13 PM   #37
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
I would love to know,
1) Do you feel the weight of the car?
Most definitely. It is a fairly heavy car. Amazing how much weight they got out of the car though. I drove a 5th Gen ZL1 and that felt VERY heavy in comparison. I think the team did an impressive job to get it to feel how it does. Very nimble and enjoyable to drive.
2) Any overheating? Limp modes?
NONE!!! Actually a great question because this is one of the main factors for me looking to purchase this car. I think this topic is highly underrated for track car purchases. It really comes down to the driver and the conditions you are in (track temps, etc), but for myself I have found that so many cars easily overheat. One side note I'd like to add is I drive with no traction/stability control and I've noticed with some cars with those on the front brakes can be used so much you can overheat those. I had no issues at all with any components of the car in 86 degree weather. I didn't do a full session, but it handled it all very well unlike the C7 Z06
3) Did you adjust the camber and how simple was it?
I did not adjust the camber. It was at 2.7 degrees. I suggested Dom increase the camber. I looked it up and it seems to be fairly easy. He is getting it adjusted to 3.1/3.2 for the next event. I will see how it changes things.

Great driving!
Thank you. Loved every minute of it. I think you can tell I was trying something new on each lap for many of the corners. Would love to see what I can get down to with more laps under my belt (and better traffic/weather conditions)

I have had my SS 1LE since Saturday, and maybe it is different on the ZL1, but I disagree with #1 in regards to feeling the weight.

I think this car does an AMAZING job at hiding its weight. Coming from my F80 M3, which I had coilovers on, you could totally feel the weight of the car in the corners, it felt top heavy. In contrast, the SS 1LE feels very flat and sports car-esk and has AMAZING turn-in.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:01 PM   #38
Jeff Cook
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
I have had my SS 1LE since Saturday, and maybe it is different on the ZL1, but I disagree with #1 in regards to feeling the weight.

I think this car does an AMAZING job at hiding its weight. Coming from my F80 M3, which I had coilovers on, you could totally feel the weight of the car in the corners, it felt top heavy. In contrast, the SS 1LE feels very flat and sports car-esk and has AMAZING turn-in.
Ah, yes as far as balance and turn in it does feel very light and nimble. I think it is incredibly impressive on the handling front. When I thought about your question of weight, I thought more along the lines of power to weight ratio, body roll, etc.

Have to remember I grew up racing formula downforce cars that weighed less than 1500lbs. so my perspective is probably a little off for the type of question. I think of light in that sense. Hmm how else do I put it. I've driven a lot of 650+ hp cars and I would say the ZL1 1LE and the GTR's (modified to be higher hp than stock GTR's) feel fairly slow in a straight line for their numbers. Not saying they ARE slow, just saying to me they both feel like they could use 850hp for the track.

A good light example to me is when I drove my friends 430 scuderia. It was 'only' 500ish hp, but it would definitely pull a little on the 1LE simply because of weight.

That all being said, if I was to say does it feel light for a 3,800lb car F*** YES IT DOES. Thats why I want one
Old 07-18-2018, 11:58 AM   #39
MikeEM1

Drives: Tracks: 18' ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Hey Mike,

Thanks! I actually have watched your vids, and you can see in some of my other videos that I have driven my buddy's GTR quite a bit. I completely agree with your points 100%. I think the GTR is a really cool, nostalgic, fun car...but to have the interaction of the manual and to have the rear wheel drive, just love it. Where did you take the car to the track? It seems like we have a pretty big group of ZL1 1LE owners up here that track their cars. We should make sure to get to the same events from time to time. I should have mine in a month or two...also going for the red, looks amazing.

I was watching how you did the ceramic coating. How has that turned out so far? I want to look into doing that when I get mine.

Nice to informally meet you,

Jeff

Oh cool! Thanks Jeff! I really like the red and matte black theme. Just fits the car so nicely from factory. Hope you get one sooner than later.

Ceramic Coating is great. Lasts a long time, easy to maintain and clean.
AWE Track w/PLP
APR GTC300 wing / Singular Endplates
ASC Splitter / PA tunnels
MFR Engineering Custom Diffuser
Race Louvers Fender Vents
APEX SM10 & ARC8

For sale: 2018 OEM ZL1 1LE Wing

12' Nissan GT-R SOLD
MikeEM1 is offline   Reply With Quote