Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 04-22-2018, 02:18 AM   #1
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Is there any dis-advantage to driving in sports or track mode versus touring in a SS?

I was wondering this.

In my 1LT V6, Sports mode didn't make much of a difference so I always used Touring... In my SS, it's a night and day difference. It accelerates stronger, sounds better, has a much firmer feel... but despite that... does anyone drive in touring mode in their SS, and if not.. is there any disadvantage to always using sports or track mode?

I usually drive in sports mode... does touring mode make a big difference in fuel mileage vs sports mode?
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 05:36 AM   #2
srcstc

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I've never driven in touring long enough to find out. I imagine fuel consumption is slightly better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srcstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 05:53 AM   #3
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
There may be a small bump in fuel economy due to the less sensitive throttle map in touring, but no real disadvantage.

I will usually go in touring when I’m on the highway since there is no need for the firmer and more responsive drive. I use track when on local roads.
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 07:22 AM   #4
mdhopt36

Drives: '17- 1ag37 V6 traded, for 1SS 2018!
So far, just touring mode for me, got 27.74 mpg yesterday on a daytrip with the wife; premo gas.
If i want a bit of pizzaz, i just use the stick to put in manual mode, and control the gears that way.
SS (imo) has gobs of low end grunt, so for ordinary situations it's not critical.

I'd like to do a mileage check in sport mode on the same trip.
Setting the noise control on the exhaust helps to monitor what the engine is doing when mashing the rightside pedal. Most smart ricer's generally yield to that serious racket. But there is the occasional idiot....
mdhopt36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 07:25 AM   #5
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
I drive in sport mode the majority of the time. Tour only on rough city roads. Snow/Ice when there is snow on the road. Rarely use track.

Throttle response is definitely more aggressive in Sport or Track but the only improvement in fuel economy from the others comes from driving style.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 07:54 AM   #6
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
I typically drive in Tour, because....Michigan roads. But I have my exhaust locked to loud and my steering set to Sport. When I approach twisties I slip into Sport mode and work my paddles.

As srcstc and ChevyRules have pointed out, throttle mapping differences probably account for some minor fuel economy differences.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 08:10 AM   #7
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
As mentioned already I don't think there is enough difference between the modes to make a meaningful difference on mpg. I say use the settings you like and go drive!

I like Sport for the throttle mapping and steering feel and have the exhaust set to Track full time through the menu settings. I rarely change it as these settings suit me the best.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 08:57 AM   #8
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2017 50th Anniv 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
Here's a different perspective...

I don't like how "bouncy" the suspension feels in Touring mode, or the loose steering feel. It's something I notice every day because I prefer to drive in Track mode, but the car doesn't retain Track mode as the default and always defaults to Touring upon startup. So, I have to set Track mode every time I drive - - and am reminded to do that by the 'bounciness.'

I also like the tighter steering feel of Track mode, but it's not ideal in slow-speed maneuvering (like parking garages). I have the steering set to Sport at all times, but will set it back to Track when out on a spirited ride.

Interesting observation, the Touring mode of MRC is supposed to make travel on rough roads less harsh. I find the opposite to be true...in Track, I do feel every irregularity more through the suspension, but it's not really harsh because it feels "buffered" nicely. But let's say I go over a sizeable speed bump in Touring mode...the car bounces (harshly, to me) and, on the same rough roads, does drive a little more smoothly, but not dramatically.

Anyone care to comment...?

PnCRedJwl2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 09:15 AM   #9
keon718nyc

Drives: Challenger SP Shaker/Arcadia Denali
If i put my Camaro in track mode for the suspension, its gonna be a bumpy ride in my neck of the woods with all the potholes and craters. I use sport for steering and pulled the #51 fuse for the exhaust. Drove it about 4000 miles to Florida and back with a very smooth ride recently. For me track mode for steering and suspension is just too much for my daily driving.
keon718nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 08:39 PM   #10
Kgoeb

Drives: 18 1LE, 12 Regal GS
I leave mine in sport usually. If the roads are rough I use tour just so the steering is easier and I'm not fighting the pull from the road and 1LE front tires. I always have the exhaust in track though.

Sometimes though it changes without me noticing due to my watch resting on the mode buttons. The other day I was driving home and noticed it said 'competitive mode engaged', like wtf how? Then I realized my hand was resting right there on the button...so mystery solved haha
Kgoeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 10:20 PM   #11
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by PnCRedJwl2SS View Post
Interesting observation, the Touring mode of MRC is supposed to make travel on rough roads less harsh. I find the opposite to be true...in Track, I do feel every irregularity more through the suspension, but it's not really harsh because it feels "buffered" nicely. But let's say I go over a sizeable speed bump in Touring mode...the car bounces (harshly, to me) and, on the same rough roads, does drive a little more smoothly, but not dramatically.

Anyone care to comment...?
I'm finding that to be the case at least half the time. At slow speed on some rough roads, tour seems to help, but faster, if it's rough, sport controls the chassis movement much better, so it ends up being less "harsh" much of the time.

I'm kind of running this similar to my BMW that had active suspension. You could customize the setting and only have the chassis (active dampers and steering) stiffen up in sport, rather than chassis and engine, so I ran this every time upon start up, but for rough stuff at real slow speed, I would go back to normal (comfort). I reserved sport+ for when I wanted the better engine response/shifting. At least with the Camaro though it "holds" sport after I shut the car off, which I like.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:52 AM   #12
beedo34

Drives: 2016 2SS
I set the mode to sport, then go into the menu and set the steering and suspension to track. I drive like this all the time. That stiff steering ratio is awesome.
beedo34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:53 AM   #13
starscream5000

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue 2ss
I always put mine in Track mode when I drive. I have the steering automatically set for Sport stiffness regardless of the mode I'm in, and I have the 51 fuse pulled as well for a louder exhaust.
starscream5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:35 AM   #14
Rayfield

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by starscream5000 View Post
I always put mine in Track mode when I drive. I have the steering automatically set for Sport stiffness regardless of the mode I'm in, and I have the 51 fuse pulled as well for a louder exhaust.
Ha, I've done the exact same combination of things!
Rayfield is offline   Reply With Quote