Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-17-2017, 10:37 PM   #1
NightfallZL1

Drives: 2017 nightfall zl1
Is anyone experiencing a rough idle??

Ok so I didn't notice this at first but I seem to have somewhat of a rough idle you can feal it sitting in the car in park. I'm not sure if this is because of power/large camshaft or something is wrong. No check engine lights are on.
NightfallZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:38 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Normal......
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 11:12 PM   #3
NightfallZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Normal......
Ok thanks 👍
Old 05-18-2017, 07:08 AM   #4
unavailablezl1

Drives: 2019 Silverado Z71 6.2L A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightfallZL1 View Post
Ok so I didn't notice this at first but I seem to have somewhat of a rough idle you can feal it sitting in the car in park. I'm not sure if this is because of power/large camshaft or something is wrong. No check engine lights are on.
I have experienced it too. It is smoothing out some as it is getting broken in which is normal. It is smoother with the air conditioner on.

Comparing past cars, the GT350 was the same way. For one thing, it is just the way higher compression cars are and with breakin it gets better.

Also, take notice of one thing. When you first come to a stop, it is completely smooth, right? Then when you sit there a bit it gets a little rough. This is another way the car manufacturer's "save gas mode" at idle.

All is well.

Past Rides
2017 M6 Camaro ZL1 Hyper Blue
2016 M6 GT350 White with blue strips
2014 M6 Mustang GT Premium Track Pack Ruby Red
2012 M6 M3 Melbourne Red Metallic
unavailablezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:57 AM   #5
NightfallZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by unavailablezl1 View Post
I have experienced it too. It is smoothing out some as it is getting broken in which is normal. It is smoother with the air conditioner on.

Comparing past cars, the GT350 was the same way. For one thing, it is just the way higher compression cars are and with breakin it gets better.

Also, take notice of one thing. When you first come to a stop, it is completely smooth, right? Then when you sit there a bit it gets a little rough. This is another way the car manufacturer's "save gas mode" at idle.

All is well.
Ok I'll check next time I drive it to see about what happens right when I stop.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:50 AM   #6
kkriskal

Drives: 2018 2SS Triple Black Performance
I just bought a 2018 2SS Automatic couple of weeks back brand new with just 27 miles on the ODO. It has the rough idle from day one (pretty much feels like a misfire, like it jerks a bit which can be felt in the seat, to be exact, it is like it is skipping a beat once in a while, don't know how else to explain, I am Not an expert like the members here). It lasts for about 5 minutes or so and then starts getting smooth, once it is completely warmed up, it's completely gone (at least I don't notice it much). It now has around 700 miles and still the same, never taken to track, no abuse, following the break in recommendation. Only Shell Premium gas, also added the fuel injection cleaner at the dealership, still same behavior. This is my dream car so I am having sleepless nights with it, I would really appreciate if anyone can confirm if this is normal. Thanks in advance guys.

Last edited by kkriskal; 01-07-2018 at 12:16 PM.
kkriskal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 12:17 PM   #7
MP3BOOSTED

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE (F1A-94 FBO H/C)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkriskal View Post
I just bought a 2018 2SS Automatic couple of weeks back brand new with just 27 miles on the ODO. It has the rough idle from day one (pretty much feels like a misfire, like it jerks a bit which can be felt in the seat, to be exact, it is like it is skipping a beat once in a while, don't know how else to explain, I am Not an expert like the members here). It lasts for about 5 minutes or so and then starts getting smooth, once it is completely warmed up, it's completely gone (at least I don't notice it much). It now has around 700 miles and still the same, never taken to track, no abuse, following the break in recommendation. Only Shell Premium gas, also added the fuel injection cleaner at the dealership, still same behavior. This is my dream car so I am having sleepless nights with it, I would really appreciate if anyone can confirm if this is normal. Thanks in advance guys.
my car started acting like this after cam install, very strange, my car starts to surge a lot, i'm actually going back and forth with my tuner to clean it up. subbed to get any feedback.
Performance Mods: F1A-94, DSX Flex Fuel Kit, MSD Spark Plug Wires, KOOK 2" off road headers, MBRP Race catback exhaust, Pray Performance Custom Boost Cam, Rocker Arm Trunion Upgrade Kit, 7.850" Hardened Chromemoly Length Pushrods and Johnson Racing 2110R Lifters, TSP CNC'd Heads, Ported MSD intake manifold, 103mm Katech Throttle body, Forged Pistons/Rods, RPM Meth kit, DSX Aux Fuel system, AEM Failsafe and banks gauge, LT4 HPFP, LT4 injectors, BMR motor mounts, Hurst Short Throw, Manley SS exhaust valves

Videos of my car? Check here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNi...Qy1OL4NVGlPogw
MP3BOOSTED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 12:26 PM   #8
kkriskal

MP3Boost, thanks for your feedback. I have absolutely No mods done, it is completely stock and this is happening from day one. The service also checked it and said no codes, nothing. So yes, would really wait for some expert inputs from the members.
Old 01-07-2018, 12:43 PM   #9
CRF8
Scenic City Camaro

Drives: 2022 Camaro ZL-1 /1974 Firebird 400
I’m no expert, and have no mods, but I do have a rough idle. No codes
Old 01-07-2018, 12:51 PM   #10
Wierd Harold

Drives: 2017 2lt rs
Mileage? Give it a few thousand.If there is a problem guaranteed you will get a "check"engine light.as far as smoother idle with the air on,the ECM is signalled to bump up the idle to compensate for the extra load on the engine.Other checks could be made such as base idle speed,idle air control,mass air flow reading,but like as said need more miles
Wierd Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 12:53 PM   #11
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Totally normal... my 5th Gen Z did that too.
Old 01-07-2018, 12:53 PM   #12
Wierd Harold

Drives: 2017 2lt rs
Are you running premium fuel?
Wierd Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 01:13 PM   #13
kkriskal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wierd Harold View Post
Are you running premium fuel?
Yes, I am using Premium Fuel (Shell Premium V+Nitro thing from day one).

And thanks everyone for your feedback, so looks like this is normal. And per Mr. Harold's recommendation, I will give it a few thousand miles, it only has 700 on the ODO now.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:31 PM   #14
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
This is the ZL1 section, and we have a different engine. So not apples to apples. But every modern small block I’ve owned has had a bit of a rough idle. It’s just how they are. There’s also a cat warmup routine (that usually retards the timing) that can make the idle rougher.

I’d say what you’re feeling is totally normal, and there probably isn’t anything the dealer can do about it. You can probably reduce or eliminate it with tuning software (bump idle speed, turn off catalyst warmup, etc.), but obviously there are consequences to that.
BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote