Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 10-26-2016, 08:19 AM   #183
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
Thanks...only reason I ask is I live in an area where 6-7 months of the year literally hover around 95-105.

Rain usually isn't an issue that sneaks up on us & keeping the engine cool sorta has me concerned with the climate I'm in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post

Yes...rain, and car washes.

The drip tray is part of a system designed to keep flowing water away from sensitive components in the engine compartment...easy to just keep it on. During daily driving, there's no reason to have a ton of extra airflow....on the track: There is.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:32 AM   #184
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Remember those media ride-along laps in Nevada earlier this year? Those cars were running non-stop...there was no opportunity for a 20 min, 40 min cool down, and they were going full-tilt...by the end of the session, the brakes were glowing red without fading back down...

...That session lasted for about 3 hours straight. They burned through over a tank of fuel. Neither the manual, or automatic car experienced any cooling issues.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to rip on the new ZL1 or bring anyone's hopes down. All I'm saying is all the testing so far has been done with ideal air flow. Get it on a track with cars in front of it. Does it still stay cool? How about on a hot humid summer day with cars in front of it? I think the Nevada testing was done in the evening? Only 2 cars on the track or was it just the one?
Again, I'm just being cautiously optimistic. Not trying to be negative here. My current car and next one which will likely be a Gen 6 1LE or ZL1 are occasional driver/track toys. I don't want to mod them or have heat issues on the track. See where I'm coming from? I appreciate all you guys with zero doubt testing them for me next year while I watch
Old 10-26-2016, 09:17 AM   #185
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Consider exiting a corner in a M6 at 3500 rpms in 2nd...accelerate to 6200, shift to third...4800....accelerate to 6200.....

Versus...exiting a corner in the A10 at 5500 rpms in 3rd...accelerate to 6200, shift to 4th, 5400, accelerate to 6200....shift to 5th, 5400...
That's one of the things I noticed, the close gear spacing and how little the revs changed on either the upshift or the downshift. I'm trying to wrap my head around manually or even paddle-shifting a transmission where the average gear spacing is 1.15:1 or less like it appears to be here. Without a whole lot of success outside of a sport-bike transmission.

That the sound track was unlike any other automatic-equipped car I can remember hearing. Not a dead give-away that it's an automatic.

Like mlee has posted, it's not about how fast shifts on a road course can be accomplished - up or down . . . I'll add that it is about how smoothly.

Impressive.

Norm
Old 10-26-2016, 09:52 AM   #186
KLR ZL1
H-Town Camaro Club Member

Drives: 17 Hyper Blue Metallic KLR-ZL1
I like the fact it was totally in auto mode and selected the right gear at the right time. Pretty impressive.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:53 AM   #187
JoeP@TeamBeckyD

Drives: SS,PaceCar,ZL1,1LE,C7Z51,Z06,17-ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR ZL1 View Post
I like the fact it was totally in auto mode and selected the right gear at the right time. Pretty impressive.
Absolutely Agree!

.......Very Impressive!

Becky
JoeP@TeamBeckyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 09:54 AM   #188
GoneBoy

Drives: '17 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
That's one of the things I noticed, the close gear spacing and how little the revs changed on either the upshift or the downshift. I'm trying to wrap my head around manually or even paddle-shifting a transmission where the average gear spacing is 1.15:1 or less like it appears to be here. Without a whole lot of success outside of a sport-bike transmission.

That the sound track was unlike any other automatic-equipped car I can remember hearing. Not a dead give-away that it's an automatic.

Like mlee has posted, it's not about how fast shifts on a road course can be accomplished - up or down . . . I'll add that it is about how smoothly.

Impressive.

Norm
You guys bring up some really good points, so your clarification is definitely well received. For road coarse work, I guess it'll just boil down to driver subjectivity...knock a few seconds off your lap time with the auto always remaining in that optimal power band, or feel more a little more connected to the car and track via the manual. I'm sure we'll all be happy with our decisions.
GoneBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 10:08 AM   #189
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
hot damn that was impressive....I mean damn that thing was flying. I figured it would beat the 5th gen Z/28 but not by that much. That was impressive

And OMG that A10....holy crap!
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 10:24 AM   #190
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
Thanks...only reason I ask is I live in an area where 6-7 months of the year literally hover around 95-105.

Rain usually isn't an issue that sneaks up on us & keeping the engine cool sorta has me concerned with the climate I'm in.
It'll be perfectly fine under normal driving, even spirited driving, conditions....Heat will always find its way out...the engine has no "cover", and the hood isn't insulated, so that'll help a ton, too.

The benefit to removing the drip tray while on the track is so that the extractor hood vent (which literally sucks out air as you drive faster) can work efficiently. At city and highway speeds, you probably won't notice a difference in coolant temps drip tray v no drip tray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor142 View Post
Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to rip on the new ZL1 or bring anyone's hopes down. All I'm saying is all the testing so far has been done with ideal air flow. Get it on a track with cars in front of it. Does it still stay cool? How about on a hot humid summer day with cars in front of it? I think the Nevada testing was done in the evening? Only 2 cars on the track or was it just the one?
Two cars in Nevada, yes, in the evening. For what it's worth...I've asked multiple people, from the engineering team, to the engine plant, about the cooling issues with the Z06 and how it'll pertain to the ZL1...all have held the same line - the car will do stupendously. I believe that.

Corvette's biggest problem was it's design...not enough airflow when ambient temps started climbing.

Again, I'm just being cautiously optimistic. Not trying to be negative here. My current car and next one which will likely be a Gen 6 1LE or ZL1 are occasional driver/track toys. I don't want to mod them or have heat issues on the track. See where I'm coming from? I appreciate all you guys with zero doubt testing them for me next year while I watch
Yes, it makes sense to me...I can't get one until the end of summer anyways, so I will also be watching the first-adopters. But I have every confidence this car will be as indestructible as the last one was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post

Impressive.

Norm
The only thing I can really relate this to is a F1/Indy or LeMans car. And even there...the spacing isn't this dramatic, it's the sheer acceleration of those cars that require quick shifts.

But you and Mike are right - the smoothness, and intuitive programming in full-auto mode as displayed by the video is astounding! So impressive.

Like Aaron Link, and Matt Scrase (sp?) and others on the team have said...in literally all conditions, this transmission will allow the car & driver to have 100% power available, 100% of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
hot damn that was impressive....I mean damn that thing was flying. I figured it would beat the 5th gen Z/28 but not by that much. That was impressive

And OMG that A10....holy crap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneBoy View Post
You guys bring up some really good points, so your clarification is definitely well received. For road coarse work, I guess it'll just boil down to driver subjectivity...knock a few seconds off your lap time with the auto always remaining in that optimal power band, or feel more a little more connected to the car and track via the manual. I'm sure we'll all be happy with our decisions.
EXACTLY. And I agree with the last statement. Both "versions" of this car are going to be wickedly good.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:16 AM   #191

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
That was debunked a while ago. I don't know why the press materials stated that - it's not true. The gear ratios are track-oriented like last generation's ZL1, 1LE and Z/28...there are two overdrive gears.

However - I agree with you on the manual transmission's prowess...

The clutch pedal is about as light as the SS model...WAY lighter than last generation ZL1. It features rev-matching, a beautiful technology. And, first gear will run out to 60 mph.

Should be fun!
Hmmmm....de-bunked?....When? Why?....If you say so....I missed that one....oh, well. It sounded like a good improvement at the time....

...I just hope the manual ZL-1 guys know what they are or aren't getting....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 11:30 AM   #192
AZ Charlie

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
I am sorry guys but no way a stock Z/28 is going to beat the new ZL1 on that track. Trust me I was dissapointed with the time of the new ZL1 because we (Z/28 owners) got hammered on time. BUT, the good news is the ZL1 kicked ass! You can not blame the Z/28's time on the rain bc it was more of a slight drizzle which honestly for a pro driver and even on those tires (hot) can handle easily (track is still dry) and not beat it by that time. The new ZL1's automatic is faster period - no denying that over stick. The HP difference and top speed will eat our car for "best lap time". I do wish they would take my car there and compare and I am sure if our car had more HP or the same HP it would be close but again the automatic drivetrain in the new ZL1 is pretty impressive. Both drivers pushed the cars to the max potential that is for sure!
2012 Ford F450 Super Duty
Prior cars:
2015 Z/28 Redline Motorsports SC725 (see profile for build details, Redline Motorsports youtube, Super Chevy article, etc)
2010 SS Supercharged with other mods...(two of this model)
2003 Lamborghini Murcielago (two of this model)
1998 Lamborghini Diablo SV
2004 Lamborghini Gallardo
Ferrari 348 Spider
Saleen Mustang
AZ Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:15 PM   #193
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:

Yes, it makes sense to me...I can't get one until the end of summer anyways, so I will also be watching the first-adopters. But I have every confidence this car will be as indestructible as the last one was.

The last one heat soaks......
Old 10-26-2016, 12:20 PM   #194
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
After the Z06 fiasco (and yes it was a fiasco, GM screwed up big time..) I really doubt they're gonna biff the ZL1..

Have a bit of faith, boy-o!
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:17 PM   #195
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Charlie View Post
I am sorry guys but no way a stock Z/28 is going to beat the new ZL1 on that track. Trust me I was dissapointed with the time of the new ZL1 because we (Z/28 owners) got hammered on time. BUT, the good news is the ZL1 kicked ass! You can not blame the Z/28's time on the rain bc it was more of a slight drizzle which honestly for a pro driver and even on those tires (hot) can handle easily (track is still dry) and not beat it by that time. The new ZL1's automatic is faster period - no denying that over stick. The HP difference and top speed will eat our car for "best lap time". I do wish they would take my car there and compare and I am sure if our car had more HP or the same HP it would be close but again the automatic drivetrain in the new ZL1 is pretty impressive. Both drivers pushed the cars to the max potential that is for sure!
This is great. It's called progress. Imagine if the Z/28 was the fastest still 25 years later... Progress is a beautiful thing. In addition, no matter what you have there is always something faster.

In closing: Enjoy your ride and buy whatever YOU can get your hands on.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:38 PM   #196
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Hmmmm....de-bunked?....When? Why?....If you say so....I missed that one....oh, well. It sounded like a good improvement at the time....

...I just hope the manual ZL-1 guys know what they are or aren't getting....
I was the only one...or one of the only ones...to report that from the presentation. Turned out to be worded, wrong, and I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor142 View Post
The last one heat soaks......
As does every engine, to a degree. I haven't read a ton of heat-soak issues with old ZL1 out on the track...and having owned if for two years, and multiple track sessions, I didn't experience anything terrible, either.

Either way, the LT4 & ZL1 is much improved. 11 heat exchangers...massive grille openings...etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
After the Z06 fiasco (and yes it was a fiasco, GM screwed up big time..) I really doubt they're gonna biff the ZL1..

Have a bit of faith, boy-o!