Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-06-2015, 09:05 AM   #225
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Those 4 bangers sound just like my husband...... After he eats Mexican food.
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:08 PM   #226
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
Ouch! Lol..
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 02:19 AM   #227
2010-1SS-IBM

Drives: 1998 Nissan, 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
I wouldn't compare a Camaro or any Chevrolet from back then to what we have today. GM has engineered masterpieces worthy of all their names—SS, 1LE, ZL1, and of course Z/28. Do you really expect them to make the same masterpieces and then design a garbage heap with a 4-banger? You'd be both wrong and disappointingly ignorant to think that GM hasn't really thought out this possible outcome.

V8 guys, over here—why do you care? You guys are constantly posting threads about how real enthusiasts don't drive anything with less cylinders.
If you don't understand why V8 lovers dread the idea of a 4 cylinder Camaro, then instead of typing obnoxious drivel and attributing it to us just shut up. It's simple, really.

I think performance cars should focus on performance, not MPG's.

And despite your assurances, every business must constantly focus on adding value through their products or lose their customers. Once a company or industry starts cheapening their product for short-term gains, it's very hard to get back to adding value. And frankly, the 4 cylinder probably won't even be an improvement over the 6 cylinder (higher price, same performance, higher maintenance).

And has been pointed out ad nauseum, if Chevy's turbo-4 is so kick-ass, maybe it belongs in a car with the appropriate weight to actually take advantage of the engine instead of being put in a car that's probably too heavy for it, and where it's the ugly sister in the engine line up.

But naw, let's add 4 cylinders to pony cars and full-size pickups and call it a win!
2010-1SS-IBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:30 AM   #228
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010-1SS-IBM View Post
If you don't understand why V8 lovers dread the idea of a 4 cylinder Camaro, then instead of typing obnoxious drivel and attributing it to us just shut up. It's simple, really.

I think performance cars should focus on performance, not MPG's.

And despite your assurances, every business must constantly focus on adding value through their products or lose their customers. Once a company or industry starts cheapening their product for short-term gains, it's very hard to get back to adding value. And frankly, the 4 cylinder probably won't even be an improvement over the 6 cylinder (higher price, same performance, higher maintenance).

And has been pointed out ad nauseum, if Chevy's turbo-4 is so kick-ass, maybe it belongs in a car with the appropriate weight to actually take advantage of the engine instead of being put in a car that's probably too heavy for it, and where it's the ugly sister in the engine line up.

But naw, let's add 4 cylinders to pony cars and full-size pickups and call it a win!

LOL, if you understood the engineering challenges brought about by CAFE you would realize that protecting V8s in Those Pony Cars and Pickups you would know this is a HUGE win. If you want the V8 you may have to accept that your 'Merican Muscle car might have a Turbo 4 little brother. No different than a 6 and in in NO way degrades the image of the 8 cylinder crowd.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:57 AM   #229
maddoggyusa

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk 2SS/6
doesn't GM learn from it's mistakes? Don't put a 4 in a camaro. You already screwed over all the Nova lovers with that crappy Nova in the 80's.

http://content.time.com/time/special...658527,00.html
maddoggyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 11:00 AM   #230
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoggyusa View Post
doesn't GM learn from it's mistakes? Don't put a 4 in a camaro. You already screwed over all the Nova lovers with that crappy Nova in the 80's.

You apparently haven't driven a 2.0t ATS. Pretty nice package and drives very well. So really hard to see how it could be a mistake. It is essentially equal to the V6 in performance.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:11 AM   #231

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
He (Al Oppenheiser) also added that downsizing the car or the engine too much will stray too far from what the Camaro is all about, and make people question whether the car should continue on.

“We’ve established what the Camaro is. And if the Camaro ceases to become a Camaro, you’ve got to consider, do you take Camaro out in the future.”

....It sounds like the 4cyl idea for a Camaro ^^^^^^ has already been thought about and debated by GM, and determined to be a bad idea that should be avoided in order to keep what image and customer base it appeals to....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 11:51 AM   #232
Autonaut

Drives: El camino
Well..

Where i live, taxation is so bad, that a v8 camaro would cost 150.000 dollars here for a base model.. True story.
Then comes the annual taxes for actually driving it. 5000 dollar annually, at least. And almost 2 dollar per liter of fuel. A gallon holds 3.8 Liters i think?

So
For some people a turbo 4 makes sense. Taxation is based on weight, emmisions and original purchase price.
A turbo 4 camaro would be much much cheaper. Expensive enough for americans to drop dead. But not more expensive than you dont have to be properly wealthy to own one here.

Often times it seems as if americans forget their cars are sold in the rest of the world. If there will be a turbo 4 banger no one is gonna force you to buy it.

Although i will endorse it if you decide to punch men in tje head if they try and make the exhaust loader. A 4 cylinder sounds horrible. No amount of fart cans or turbo noise is gonna change this.
In fact. The ecoboost mustang aftermarket exhaust companies shpuld focus on developing LIGHTER exhaust that sound the same or less. Have any if you tried to listen to those eco stangs? They sound lile shit like any other 4 cylinder car.

Also. I GM plays fake engine sounds through the speakers, i will cry. That shit is the worst ever. Mustang crowds must be embarassed:/
Autonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 11:53 AM   #233
nester7929
Rice Harvester

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoggyusa View Post

That was over 30 years ago. GM would only have failed to learn from their mistakes if the 4-cylinder was still as anemic as it was back then. Considering that the Mustang Ecoboost posts similar times as a 05-10 GT, a 4-banger Camaro could probably get similar results.

It wouldn't even be close to the V8 powered cars, but it'd still be quicker than most things on the road.
nester7929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 12:14 PM   #234
Posaune

Drives: Four wheels and an engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autonaut View Post
Well..

Where i live, taxation is so bad, that a v8 camaro would cost 150.000 dollars here for a base model.. True story.
Then comes the annual taxes for actually driving it. 5000 dollar annually, at least. And almost 2 dollar per liter of fuel. A gallon holds 3.8 Liters i think?

So
For some people a turbo 4 makes sense. Taxation is based on weight, emmisions and original purchase price.
A turbo 4 camaro would be much much cheaper. Expensive enough for americans to drop dead. But not more expensive than you dont have to be properly wealthy to own one here.

Often times it seems as if americans forget their cars are sold in the rest of the world. If there will be a turbo 4 banger no one is gonna force you to buy it.

Although i will endorse it if you decide to punch men in tje head if they try and make the exhaust loader. A 4 cylinder sounds horrible. No amount of fart cans or turbo noise is gonna change this.
In fact. The ecoboost mustang aftermarket exhaust companies shpuld focus on developing LIGHTER exhaust that sound the same or less. Have any if you tried to listen to those eco stangs? They sound lile shit like any other 4 cylinder car.

Also. I GM plays fake engine sounds through the speakers, i will cry. That shit is the worst ever. Mustang crowds must be embarassed:/
If GM truly intends to take the Camaro globally, then the 4 cyl makes sense for those markets that tax by displacement (which is silly IMO). Easy enough to then offer it in N.A. as well, as much as it irks me.
Posaune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 03:54 PM   #235
Autonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posaune View Post
If GM truly intends to take the Camaro globally, then the 4 cyl makes sense for those markets that tax by displacement (which is silly IMO). Easy enough to then offer it in N.A. as well, as much as it irks me.
Anything below 300hp will be too little i fear.. We have ecoboost 1 liters pushing 170 easily here.. Surely a 2.x liter turbo 4 can surpass 300hp. A NA version? I dont think that is feasable in a camaro. It will be too slow.

And, if GM does not go global, they may be left behind by ford.

I agree, btw. Our taxation rules suck if you are a car lover. God knows i'd buy a new v8 car if i had the dough. But house kids wife etc mandates me to buy a 4 cyl if im lucky, and restoring old chevy's people have given up on. When cars turn 25 and 35 taxation rules changes and cars become affordable!!
Old 01-12-2015, 05:22 PM   #236
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
You apparently haven't driven a 2.0t ATS. Pretty nice package and drives very well. So really hard to see how it could be a mistake. It is essentially equal to the V6 in performance.
Nobody cares about a Cadillac having a 2.0 in it! So comparing the ATS to the Camaro isn't a good comparison! I would get a ATS with a 4 cylinder but definitely not a pony/ muscle car!
Old 01-12-2015, 05:41 PM   #237
Autonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q'smuscle View Post
Nobody cares about a Cadillac having a 2.0 in it! So comparing the ATS to the Camaro isn't a good comparison! I would get a ATS with a 4 cylinder but definitely not a pony/ muscle car!
Do you consider the existing v6 camaro a muscle car?
No?

Then whats the problem with a turbo four. You dont have to buy it.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:55 PM   #238
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autonaut View Post
Do you consider the existing v6 camaro a muscle car?
No?

Then whats the problem with a turbo four. You dont have to buy it.
Lol... I consider a Camaro a pony/ muscle! And a V6 is part of the Pony/ muscle car history not a 4 cylinder! Sorry! It was a straight 6 but still a 6 ! Not a 4 but hey , I'm not giving up my Gen 5 either way! But hey , I understand and there's nothing wrong! As long as it's a Camaro since where you live messes that up! And FYI I had a 2013 V6

Tags
2015 camaro, 2015 camaro forum, 2015 camaro forums, 2015 chevrolet camaro, 2015 chevy camaro, 2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 4 cylinder camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro forum, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 4 cylinder, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation, new camaro