#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 06-23-2017, 07:55 AM   #253
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen_Nick3.8 View Post
So the Zl1LE is 13 seconds faster than the standard ZL1. For comparison the 6th Gen Zl1 is 12 seconds faster than the 5TH Gen. So a simple package is making a bigger difference than a whole next gen car. Makes me wonder if chevy could have done more for the standard Zl1. Anyone want to enlighten me? Im thoroughly shocked at the time i guessed somewhere in the 19's
The 5th gen Z/28 didn't have as large of a gain over the ZL1 because it took a power hit to remain naturally asperated. It actually had more lbs per hp than the ZL1. The ZL1-1LE loses weight, retains same power while adding extreme aero the the gen5 Z/28 didn't have

2012 ZL1 7:41:27
2014 Z/28 7:37:47
Time difference = 3.8 sec
Power difference = -75 HP
Torque difference = -75 lb-ft
Weight difference = -283 lbs (4,120 vs 3,837 lbs)
7.1 lb/hp vs 7.6 lb/hp (ZL1 vs Z/28)

2017 ZL1 7:29:60
2018 ZL1-1LE 7:16:04
Time difference = 13.56 sec
Power difference = 0
Torque difference = 0
Weight difference = -60 lbs (3,926 vs 3,866 lbs)
6.0 lb/hp vs 5.9 lb/hp (ZL1 vs ZL1-1LE)

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 07:55 AM   #254
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
I would wager a guess that the systems were in Sport II, or Race Mode in the A10...they seemed "all off" in the ZL1 1LE video.
It wouldn't surprise me if the steering 'heaviness' you feel in Track mode had been taken out of the steering for the ZL1 1LE run, either.

Norm
Old 06-23-2017, 07:56 AM   #255
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
It wouldn't surprise me if the steering 'heaviness' you feel in Track mode had been taken out of the steering for the ZL1 1LE run, either.

Norm
Quite possible. In even it's most "soft" setting, the steering is twice as stiff as in Gen 5...and there is a manual override in the Infotainment controls.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:05 AM   #256
Repman

Drives: 18 Black ZL1-1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen_Nick3.8 View Post
So the Zl1LE is 13 seconds faster than the standard ZL1. For comparison the 6th Gen Zl1 is 12 seconds faster than the 5TH Gen. So a simple package is making a bigger difference than a whole next gen car. Makes me wonder if chevy could have done more for the standard Zl1. Anyone want to enlighten me? Im thoroughly shocked at the time i guessed somewhere in the 19's
I think the tires and size used used ON the 1LE make the largest difference in that 13 second improvement . they are a full R compound going against a extreme performance street tire not apples to apples. this has always been a bit misleading to me. slap a set of race rubber on the regular ZL1 and I think the times would be much closer. the downforce and weight savings are definite pluses depending on the track more or less so. I look forward to seeing how my regular ZL1 stacks up against the new 1LE in the near future on track. I know that they also use different ( non Magnetic) adjustable dampers and sway bar and camber plates will be an interesting comparison for me.

Last edited by Repman; 06-23-2017 at 11:47 AM.
Repman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 09:31 AM   #257
Dethsupp0rt

Drives: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repman View Post
I think the tires used ON the 1LE make the largest difference in that 13 second improvement . they are a full R compound going against a extreme performance street tire not apples to apples. this has always been a bit misleading to me. slap a set of race rubber on the regular ZL1 and I think the times would be much closer. the downforce and weight savings are definite pluses depending on the track more or less so. I look forward to seeing how my regular ZL1 stacks up against the new 1LE in the near future on track.
Tires and Bill Wise driving the tires off the car seemed to be the biggest difference. Drew Cattell's run with the "regular" ZL1 seemed like a Sunday drive by comparison, even though it was obviously really quick.
Dethsupp0rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 10:54 AM   #258
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Quote:
I think the tires used ON the 1LE make the largest difference in that 13 second improvement . they are a full R compound going against a extreme performance street tire not apples to apples. this has always been a bit misleading to me. slap a set of race rubber on the regular ZL1 and I think the times would be much closer. the downforce and weight savings are definite pluses depending on the track more or less so. I look forward to seeing how my regular ZL1 stacks up against the new 1LE in the near future on track.
This is reasonable thinking.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 06:40 AM   #259
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
I think the tires and size used used ON the 1LE make the largest difference in that 13 second improvement . they are a full R compound going against a extreme performance street tire not apples to apples. this has always been a bit misleading to me. slap a set of race rubber on the regular ZL1 and I think the times would be much closer. the downforce and weight savings are definite pluses depending on the track more or less so. I look forward to seeing how my regular ZL1 stacks up against the new 1LE in the near future on track. I know that they also use different ( non Magnetic) adjustable dampers and sway bar and camber plates will be an interesting comparison for me.
I think the aero and adjustable suspension also play a big roll for two reasons.

The lighter Z06 w/Z07 is overwhelmed by the LT4's power and many reviews say it's nearly undrivable at the limit. After the ACRs extreme aero, Chevy is responding with the ZR1 and ZL1-1LE.

Second is the Ring press release and comments by Bill Wise. This was his 125th lap in the ZL1-1LE as they worked to tune the car. "With chassis adjustability unlike any vehicle in its peer group" is Al's opening quote followed by "To make up more than a second per mile on the Nordschleife compared to the ZL1 automatic is a dramatic improvement and speaks to the 1LE's enhanced track features."

Tires alone didn't transform the Viper into the king track car...ACR nor the Z06 Z07. Tires alone won't transform your base ZL1.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:22 AM   #260
Repman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
I think the aero and adjustable suspension also play a big roll for two reasons.

The lighter Z06 w/Z07 is overwhelmed by the LT4's power and many reviews say it's nearly undrivable at the limit. After the ACRs extreme aero, Chevy is responding with the ZR1 and ZL1-1LE.

Second is the Ring press release and comments by Bill Wise. This was his 125th lap in the ZL1-1LE as they worked to tune the car. "With chassis adjustability unlike any vehicle in its peer group" is Al's opening quote followed by "To make up more than a second per mile on the Nordschleife compared to the ZL1 automatic is a dramatic improvement and speaks to the 1LE's enhanced track features."

Tires alone didn't transform the Viper into the king track car...ACR nor the Z06 Z07. Tires alone won't transform your base ZL1.

I think you misread my post I said tires were a large part of the difference . I mentioned the shock package the aero ect . and I am not saying that tires will put a non 1LE on par with the track times it has posted. what I was saying from my experience going to a real R compound and wider rubber 325 and 305 is good for substantially better times on track. I look forward to seeing how my regular ZL1 compares to a 1LE on track.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:32 AM   #261
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Quote:
I think the tires and size used used ON the 1LE make the largest difference in that 13 second improvement .
Quote:
I think you misread my post I said tires were a large part of the difference .
I was on the seat of my pants during the whole video. He was pushing the 1LE to the limit.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:43 AM   #262
Repman

Quote:

You should post the whole thing if you are going to quote me I said that its the whole package but tires in my experience are a Large factor. Size and contact patch make a huge difference in times around a track also it would be interesting to see Bill Wise drive the regular ZL1 around the ring and see if there is any time differnce also.

https://youtu.be/0XIz6XoXTsw
Old 06-29-2018, 01:35 PM   #263
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
2 min faster than the ZL1 1LE

Old 06-29-2018, 01:42 PM   #264
JoeP@TeamBeckyD

Drives: SS,PaceCar,ZL1,1LE,C7Z51,Z06,17-ZL1
Incredible!

JoeP@TeamBeckyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 02:36 PM   #265
big dave

Drives: 2017 ZL1
That is pure INSANITY!!! Playstation anyone?
'13 ZL1 BRM A6. 11.591 @ 119.2 factory stock with a 1.68 60'! Best stock mph 121.8. 11.29 @ 123 RotoFab, drag radials and skinnies. 4360# raceweight.
http://youtu.be/yggIA3C_kkA 2014... back to stock
http://youtu.be/spQLaTWbThs 2013... stock & RotoFab
big dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 02:37 PM   #266
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post

+1. Driving is a team sport. Driver, chassis/suspension, drive train, aero and tires when properly tuned and synchronized will produce a very high level of performance.

Dreaded football analogy; You can have the greatest QB, WRs and RB on the planet, but if your LT stinks, much of the potential is lost.

Quote:
With all due respect. DSSV is unlike anything that I have personally experienced before.

Sublime is the only word that I can come up with to describe it. ZL1 is a world class sports car, yet IMHO it is the sum of all the parts and variables (driver included) that make the ZLE a superior "Ring"/circuit car.

Quote:
[/B][/U]

You should post the whole thing if you are going to quote me I said that its the whole package but tires in my experience are a Large factor. Size and contact patch make a huge difference in times around a track also it would be interesting to see Bill Wise drive the regular ZL1 around the ring and see if there is any time differnce also.

https://youtu.be/0XIz6XoXTsw
3Rs are amazing. With that said they are RDOT. They are not competition tires, they are street legal R compound tires. Both the ZL1 and ZLE (extremely capable vehicles) will perform better on RDOTs.

The difference being that the ZLE suspension is specifically tuned for the enhanced grip of R compound rubber, which in turn enhances the performance capabilities of the car. IMHO, in the right hands, that setup will consistently produce noticeably better times (same driver, same day and conditions).

No disrespect intended. Just my humble opinion.