Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 07-17-2018, 07:11 PM   #29
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by zr1chris View Post
Would a ZL1 rear diffuser help since it flares out under the sides of the rear?

Not really.
Most of the self inflicted chips come from the front tires tossing stones at the rear quarters in front of the rear tires.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:17 PM   #30
zr1chris

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post
Not really.
Most of the self inflicted chips come from the front tires tossing stones at the rear quarters in front of the rear tires.
Ahh, I know a few had mentioned rocks being kicked up from the rear tires but if it's from the fronts then yeah obviously this won't help.
zr1chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 12:10 PM   #31
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
On my past cars it was particularly beat up at the rear of the door and jsut in front of the rear tire, some added protection is better than none and I'm sure the ZL1 addons will do that. Previously I've just used the generic black plastic ones and those have been just fine and actually looked acceptable on the front.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:22 AM   #32
JRunner01

Drives: 2019 Camaro
Too Narrow \ Look Silly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATTY-1LE View Post
Ive got the RPI rock guards and they hang low as heck, but im still seeing some chip action

I think we need them lower like the RPI but also WIDER! Those RPIs look like a small tongue hanging down behind the rear tires. I was following a youtube vid on Alpha Camaro who made rears out of kydex but again would like those wider than his design as well.

May try to buy some kydex and make my own for front and rear or if anyone is willing to be crafty (I'm not) and make some up for us Im sure we'd have a number of people interested in a wider and lower option and would gladly pay for them.

Was also thinking to call some of these already established designs \ mfgs and ask if they'd custom make them larger which I doubt but figured its just a phone call.
Old 08-01-2019, 11:36 AM   #33
Whitespeed

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE & 1973 Datsun 240Z
I've run a few track days since installing the RPI side skirts and they have completely eliminated all of the tire snot and rock chips from my rockers. Hard to say about the leading edge of the rear fenders though. There's still probably an outer portion of the leading edge of the rear fenders that sticks out slightly more than the side skirts can protect.
Whitespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 02:55 PM   #34
OVRKLL

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE...makes me go YeeeHaw!
When I purchased my 1LE, it had 25k on it and a bunch of chips on the rear panel. I tried to remove what I could with wet sanding, compound etc. Removed a lot, but eventually I'll have to wet sand it down to the BC and respray, then CC the side. I'll use more coats of CC when I do it.

Can't sweat the small (chips) stuff, so I'm thinking maybe every 3yrs I'll do a repaint there and any other areas.
I was thinking of getting the guards, but it seems by the posts here, it doesn't really help much...so 3yr plan.
Old 08-01-2019, 03:30 PM   #35
lgarrison34

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE HBM, 2010 SS FBO/Cam
I bought mine with 4,700 miles. There were no rock guards. The quarter panel and rockers in front of the rear tires were peppered with rock chips. I installed ZL1 Add Ons rock guards and RPI side skirts and haven't had any issues at all with new rock chips. (https://www.rpidesigns.com/shop/item...-zl1-inspired/).
Old 08-01-2019, 04:57 PM   #36
JD_

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE in Nightfall Gray
Bought the ACS rock guards and had them installed within a week of bringing the car home. Even with the rock guards in place, the fenders look like they could be used to grate cheese. Will probably have to get it into a body shop for respray then take it directly to get it covered with xpel from the rockers to the door handles.
JD_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 05:36 PM   #37
24v
Account Suspended

Drives: 2018 SS
I'd just rather touch up the chips instead of putting mud flaps on my sports car.
24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 09:52 PM   #38
Tommy G

Drives: 18 1LE/1SS, 08 G8 GT, 13 GTI
I had the ZL1 Addons on mine shortly after getting the car new. Still got some small chips just above the factory PPF. The ZL1 addons on the front cracked and broke, after I drilled into the inner fender liner and installed some plastic push pins to hold them in place. The double stick tape wouldn't hold. Replaced them with ACS composites guards and rockers, and they seem to be protecting against any additional chips. I can hear them getting hit when I drive. Works for me!
Tommy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 11:04 PM   #39
Scargoes

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 2SS 1LE
I Xpel'd my whole car. It's dont a decent job. But earlier this year I did a time trial and I knew it was going to be brutal so I applied panters tape and two layers of duct tape in front of the rear wheels. No luck. The rocks went thru the duct tape, Xpel, and paint. Battle scars for bench racing stories.

1:34.20 Willow Springs Big Track
Scargoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 06:37 AM   #40
EddieL3

Drives: 1995 Z28, 2018 SS 1LE
I have the factory painted splash guards and Llumar paint protection on the high impact areas. I specifically asked for it to be installed on the quarter panels in front of the rear wheels. There is a visible line if you look close, but’s the lesser of two evils compared to rock chips.
EddieL3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 06:48 AM   #41
ScatPack
Banned

Drives: None at the moment
My brand new 1LE didnt even make the 5 mile drive home without picking up two rock chips (to the bare metal), on the rear lower quarter panel on the drivers side.

The first thing any new owner of 1LE should do before they move an inch off the dealer's lot is have them swap out those tires for some normal all seasons. I remember going down my street at about 20mph and hearing all the little rocks and stones hammering the wheel wells as I went. What a horrible sound to hear with your new car. After about 200 miles on the car from just casual playing around, I had 10 or so rock chips around the car all centered on the rear lower quarter panels. If I were to do it again, I would have clear film placed on the entire rear quarters from top to bottom.
ScatPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:56 AM   #42
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
I had front one come unglued, contact ZL1-Add-Ons to BUY replacement, they shipped me replacement set - no charge. And i too have through paint chip that I need to touch up.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote