Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-25-2019, 09:34 AM   #1
WoodyGen6

Drives: 2018 V6 1LT
Car knowledge

I’ve never really been a car person. I bought my 18’ V6 RS because it was a steal and I loved how it looked. However, the more I’ve driven the more curious I have become in what’s under the hood and what all I can do to customize it, tune it, and really make it my own. I’d also like to do a lot of the work myself and was wondering if anyone here has any recommendations on reading materials or videos, to help me understand what’s under the hood and how everything works. I’m literally itching for information because I want to learn, so any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
WoodyGen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:37 AM   #2
Sham2SS

Drives: 2016 Summit white 2ss
This whole forum is a wealth of info for the cars. If you're looking at Mods there is a whole forum section dedicated to tuning,exhaust and performance for the vehicle. Otherwise watching engine build videos and watching channels that build cars and go over the builds help very much as well. It just depends on how much info and how in depth of info you're looking to get
Sham2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:39 AM   #3
WoodyGen6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sham2SS View Post
This whole forum is a wealth of info for the cars. If you're looking at Mods there is a whole forum section dedicated to tuning,exhaust and performance for the vehicle. Otherwise watching engine build videos and watching channels that build cars and go over the builds help very much as well. It just depends on how much info and how in depth of info you're looking to get
I am looking to go real in depth. Are there any gen 6 camaro build videos out there?
Old 04-25-2019, 09:49 AM   #4
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
you are braver than i am.having built two classics 67 mustang and 66 tempest,there isnt too much under the hood that looks familiar.these cars are like rolling computers,although i might do brakes or a radiator if it becomes needed.at least im not battling the rust monster though.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:49 AM   #5
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
i think there was an episode of how stuff works that went through the build process of making cars that happened to be done on the 6th gen camaro.

you can also get the service manual for a few hundred bucks or much much less if you know where to look. it's pdf ...which should give you all the details you would need to do pretty much anything.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:15 AM   #6
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyGen6 View Post
I’ve never really been a car person... customize it, tune it, and really make it my own.
Google and youtube for whatever interests you. In general these will be excellent resources for vehicle maintenance. Cosmetic and mechanical enhancements must be researched more carefully. Anything that plugs into the electrical system or affects engine management may not be as straightforward as you would think.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:46 AM   #7
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
So, the video that "cellsafemode" mentioned wasn't on "How Stuff Works", it was "How it's made". Here is a link:

Now, there is also a website called "How Stuff Works", and it is chock full of information about everything, and I suggest you take a look at how an internal combustion engine works: https://auto.howstuffworks.com/engine.htm

On that same site you can see how transmissions work as well, if you are interested (an automatic trans is pretty complicated, but pretty damn cool how it works).

Then, if you want to start modifying, start taking a look at some of the mods that you can do, and do a little research on how each mod makes things a bit better.

Keep in mind that when you first start to learn, the tendency is to look at each mod like it does a good thing, and that's it. But every mod has a trade-off and you have to be aware of what the pros and cons of each mod are, and how they effect other mods as well.

There is TON of info out there, SO GET STARTED!!!

And enjoy!!!
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 11:19 AM   #8
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
I’ve never really been a car person. I bought my 18’ V6 RS because it was a steal and I loved how it looked. However, the more I’ve driven the more curious I have become in what’s under the hood and what all I can do to customize it, tune it, and really make it my own. I’d also like to do a lot of the work myself and was wondering if anyone here has any recommendations on reading materials or videos, to help me understand what’s under the hood and how everything works. I’m literally itching for information because I want to learn, so any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
WoodyGen6. I totally sympathize with you, I hadn't had a clue about practically anything related to cars until about 5 years ago, no exaggeration at all, and I'm not exactly a teenager. Then I saw a 5th gen Camaro in a parking lot.... fast forward to today, while I'm still a relative noob compared to many seasoned folks here, at least I can do the simpler mods myself now and have an idea what happens when I floor it

Here is a video that is both educational and will make you very proud: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...=446288&page=2, post #45 and down. It has a segment about assembling your V6 engine, and a very entertaining watch overall.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18

Last edited by arpad_m; 04-25-2019 at 12:41 PM.
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 12:34 PM   #9
WoodyGen6

Thank you all! I can’t wait to dive in!
Old 04-25-2019, 05:01 PM   #10
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
Are you currently doing your own maintenance? Like oil changes, brakes, other fluid changes? That's usually the best place to start. There are some things best left to the shop, but you can do a lot on your own if you have the tools and know-how.

I would start right here, at this forum. Read all you can, in the DIY section, maintenance section, and the sub-engine forums. There are people in the V6 section doing some crazy stuff (including blowing up supercharged engines!). You can learn alot from them.

Tuning is complicated and USUALLY best left to pros, although if you want to invest serious time you can learn it and do it yourself, with interfaces like HPtuners, etc.

One thing you can do as a V6 owner, is upgrade the car to SS-spec components in certain places, such as brakes and suspension.

Did you know your OEM RS wheels are extremely heavy and slow the car down significantly? Learn about wheels, which ones are good which ones aren't, consider upgrading to smaller/lighter wheels for more acceleration, etc.

There is a LOT to it, just gotta dive in.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 07:18 AM   #11
comic0guy

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE, 2013 Subaru BRZ
If you are looking for general knowledge. I highly recommend looking at Engineering Explained on Youtube. Especially some of his videos from a few years ago. He has a wide range of videos that go over a lot of upgrades people to do to their cars today. He goes over pros, cons, and why. I've definitely picked up a lot of good general information on cars from him. His video on various suspension upgrades are really good too.

Here's a specific one for V6:

One on sway bars:
comic0guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:15 AM   #12
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
Great place to start is the library, read, read and read some more. Read about cars, the history, oils and viscosity, maintenance, etc. Also the internet has a wealth of information. Then get into the tools- go to hardware stores, Harbor Freight and look at the different tools. Also go to the parts stores and browse, look around at all the parts oils, accessories, etc.

When I was very young- in my teens I became fascinated with cars, engines, what makes them run, how to maintain and repair them, etc. I was hooked very young and back them there was no internet so I lived at the library and read every book I could get my hands on about cars, trucks and engines. I then bought tools- every week for a year or two and today have a nice collection of tools and roll aways that I will pass on to my son.

Cars may be your passion too- you will find out. But beware while it's my passion, it's my weakness too. I have a ton of experience but still learning even today in my 60's. Some cars are good, some not, some mods good, some not. I have owned many, many cars over my life time- some are great stories, some are horror stories. But there's nothing better and more satisfying than spending time when you want to- working on your car, detailing it, modding it- and doing it the right way. Working in your garage, keeping it neat and clean, organized- it's your man cave. So run with it, learn as much as you can! You have a great car for a platform- V6 RS- hopefully you have the manual transmission too- V6 RS with M/T is the best Camaro to buy in my opinion. Great performance, great engine, great looking car- and it runs on plain ole regular unleaded- low cost operation and maintenance. Add some really nice tires and wheels, top of the line struts, intake and exhaust!
Old 04-26-2019, 01:45 PM   #13
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
All you need to do is search Youtube. You can find anything you want.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 05:18 PM   #14
karmatourer
STD free

Drives: 2018 Bright Yellow LGX M6 RS NPP
Quote:
I am looking to go real in depth. Are there any gen 6 camaro build videos out there?
Just for starters,I would recommend YouTube and go from there.
karmatourer is offline   Reply With Quote