Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 01-18-2019, 04:15 PM   #1
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
grand tour - S3ep1

So this came out recently and it's got the big 3 pony/muscle cars showcasing it.

What I found most odd was that the Exorcist was rocking stock suspension and tires... It was hilariously overpowered. Could never get traction and was basically a death trap.

Was there a legitimate reason why they didn't give it appropriate tires and suspension for 1000hp? Was hennessey drunk? I can't think of any reason why they would leave it so handicapped at putting down the power that they put in the car.

Very odd.

James May as the Exorcist was pretty entertaining to watch.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:51 PM   #2
benjj

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LE
It’s a lot easier to put a $7k supercharger and stickers on a zl1 and charging $30-$40k more for it.

Good episode
benjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 10:16 PM   #3
SteveV

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro 6M Red Hot
At least it consistently beat the Mustang that Jeremy was driving...
Old 01-19-2019, 04:14 AM   #4
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
At least it consistently beat the Mustang that Jeremy was driving...
Until a corner came into play....
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 05:26 AM   #5
Bluecyclone

Drives: 2014 Cyclone mustang
After most builds hit 600 Hp, putting that power down is hard to accomplish for a "Street Car". I helped build a 600Hp GT 500 and that's how I know. Owner was so scared he ended up selling his car.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:34 AM   #6
Soleil

Drives: Camaro 50th anniversary edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
So this came out recently and it's got the big 3 pony/muscle cars showcasing it.

What I found most odd was that the Exorcist was rocking stock suspension and tires... It was hilariously overpowered. Could never get traction and was basically a death trap.

Was there a legitimate reason why they didn't give it appropriate tires and suspension for 1000hp? Was hennessey drunk? I can't think of any reason why they would leave it so handicapped at putting down the power that they put in the car.

Very odd.

James May as the Exorcist was pretty entertaining to watch.
Did I miss something here? Do you have a Link?
Soleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 05:53 AM   #7
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soleil View Post
Did I miss something here? Do you have a Link?
It's on Amazon Prime.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KRJJL8S...-20&ascsubtag=
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 07:47 AM   #8
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeROC View Post
Saw it, pretty good episode. Putting James May in the Exorcist probably handicapped it more than anything else.

Would have loved to have seen a pro driver take each down a dragstrip and around a small course.
I agree, I wouldn't put much into the Mustang on the road course part. Jeremy has always seemed to be the better track driver.

Very funny episode..
Old 01-19-2019, 09:36 AM   #9
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
It was an ok episode. Not great. I'm typically not a huge fan of whenever they do an episode in the US because they somehow always make it feel campy and insert unnecessary social commentary. I think some of it is half joking, but half not.

Jeremy: "Detroit should begin producing cars again."

America: "Oh, of course. How foolish of us. That will fix the complicated economic climate immediately. Btw, how is Brexit going?"
Old 01-19-2019, 09:41 AM   #10
indyz

Drives: 2SS, CT-R, LC500
They're silly and that's why I love the show. It's a welcome break from how serious everything is when you look at news.
indyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 10:15 AM   #11
Johnwiz

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeXR View Post
It was an ok episode. Not great. I'm typically not a huge fan of whenever they do an episode in the US because they somehow always make it feel campy and insert unnecessary social commentary. I think some of it is half joking, but half not.

Jeremy: "Detroit should begin producing cars again."

America: "Oh, of course. How foolish of us. That will fix the complicated economic climate immediately. Btw, how is Brexit going?"
It's not just the USA that they have done that to. I don't remember if it was when they were on Top Gear, or the Grand Tour going through the newly built (but deserted) Airport in Spain as well as the abandoned towns.

I do think that episode highlighted what has happened in many areas of this country, the loss of those type of manufacturing jobs and such. Sorry for the social commentary.

I was surprised that the Hennesy ZL1 didn't do better in the 1/4, but I always thought they overstated their engine output. It's also crazy what they charge for the engine/graphic package. Check out their price for the drag package (what was it for the Demon, a $1?).
Old 01-19-2019, 12:31 PM   #12
chevybill

Drives: 1994 z-28, 2017 2ss 6spd
Good episode.

After Hammond modified his Challenger for drag racing, it beat the Camaro.
They should have raced the cars before all the changes and then after to see a
difference in performance.

They had the smallest guy (Hammond) in the largest car (Challenger) and the largest guy (Jeremy) in the smallest car (mustang). Probably, by choice, interesting still.
chevybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 01:08 PM   #13
Rodan

Drives: 2018 ZL1 coupe
It's the Grand Tour, so accurate automotive journalism isn't really their thing...
Not a bad start for season 3.

The ZL1 did not have stock wheels, so who knows what tires they had on it. ZL1 suspension, tires and brakes are arguably as good as anything aftermarket for what they were doing with the cars, but calling it "stock" isn't really telling the whole story.

It definitely wasn't making 1000hp judging by how it ran with the Mustang and Demon... but it's Hennesy... are we really expecting anything legitimate? I can't believe that guy is still getting exposure after all the crap he's done to customers.

So, how 'bout that Senna...?
Rodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 01:46 PM   #14
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodan View Post
So, how 'bout that Senna...?
The Senna was sick. I never realized it had transparent doors.

I'm always amazed to see how small hypercars are in person, especially when it was driving alongside the Jaguar in one scene.