Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 08-01-2020, 12:07 PM   #85
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
ill be honest. i find it impossible to see your side of anything. don't want too much power, but you want "track extras". don't want more than you can use, but the even greater ability of a -1LE anything- to stop and turn while apparently not using power you don't need is appealing? wtf man really

what "fast cars" have you owned?

I totally get this point of view. A lower powered track car is more fun for a novice. It's easier to practice corner entry speed. It's harder to get out of shape mid corner. You get so many more open laps because you are approaching far fewer cars. At my last track event, i entered novice because intermediate was full, and i don't think i got but 1 or 2 laps to myself. I really would have enjoyed a v6 better or even my old bmw 128i better.

But then there are those mostly straight line guys that kind of abuse the purpose of track events (in my opinion) and back everyone up in the turns so they can have the straights to themselves.
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 12:57 PM   #86
Silent_H_

Drives: '21 V6 1LE
Quote:
ill be honest. i find it impossible to see your side of anything. don't want too much power, but you want "track extras". don't want more than you can use, but the even greater ability of a -1LE anything- to stop and turn while apparently not using power you don't need is appealing? wtf man really

Haha fair enough. The fastest car I've owned was a JDM STi-swapped '98 Outback. It ran 12.3 in the quarter mile and felt pretty violently fast. Before that I had a stock WRX which was roughly as quick as the V6 Camaro if I recall (maybe a bit slower).

I think the appeal of the 1LE package is that it's kinda special, and that it's a bit over-engineered, so the car wouldn't be stressed. Maybe I'm giving it too much credit though. I'm sure the non-1LE RS is still pretty bulletproof.
Silent_H_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 12:59 PM   #87
Silent_H_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Nothing wrong with the V6 at all. And I agree about having more power than you'll ever need. I felt that way about my last ZL1. It was very cool on a dag strip, but on the street it was too much. If you want to learn to race on a road track at 9/10s the V6 is a good place to start. But to me the limits of the Gen6 Camaro are so high I feel very comfortable with the NA V8 on the street. And it's a torque monster.

I would drive the V8 at least just to see how you feel it. Still nothing wrong with the V6 for sure, it is a great engine in the Camaro. But just test to see if you think you might want to switch later. Knowing this now will save you thousands. Just like Corvettes Camaro used values drop like a stone.

But if you are Zen sure, then no need to wait. Go get your V6 1LE. I hope it is a manual. Be sure to give us pics.
I love the "Zen sure" - never heard that before but it totally makes sense. I'm not Zen sure, just more of a gut feeling and knowing myself. But you make a great point about at least driving the V8 (I drove a couple of current-gen Mustang GTs which is where I gathered my opinion of that much power in RWD). There is a 2017 Camaro SS near me that I'll go at least test drive to see what it's like!
Old 08-01-2020, 01:12 PM   #88
Silent_H_

Quote:

I will also add that you can enjoy stopping and cornering without excess power.
Old 08-01-2020, 03:50 PM   #89
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
Quote:

I don't really follow this. At a track day, more power doesn't really improve my, and many others, experience. You're not racing anyone other than your past best time. There is a reason Miatas with 120 hp are the most popular track cars. The more power you have, the more consumables are, and the more hurt you may be if something goes wrong. Even then, 330 hp is not exactly lacking. It's more than the F-body had.

I've owned a Coyote Mustang and done 150+, and just found power to be a dangerous road to go down. You'll always be wanting more, and it'll eventually lead to tickets or a serious accident. Now I get my jollies from going through turns fast, and I get the feeling OP is the same way. I just want something with a good chassis that can be made to have a shit load of grip, and isn't dog shit slow like a Miata or 86. The lower trim Camaros, and Mustangs, do just that. Just last weekend I was pulling 1.2+ Gs at an autocross.

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 03:59 PM   #90
Silent_H_

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshjowler View Post
I don't really follow this. At a track day, more power doesn't really improve my, and many others, experience. You're not racing anyone other than your past best time. There is a reason Miatas with 120 hp are the most popular track cars. The more power you have, the more consumables are, and the more hurt you may be if something goes wrong. Even then, 330 hp is not exactly lacking. It's more than the F-body had.

I've owned a Coyote Mustang and done 150+, and just found power to be a dangerous road to go down. You'll always be wanting more, and it'll eventually lead to tickets or a serious accident. Now I get my jollies from going through turns fast, and I get the feeling OP is the same way. I just want something with a good chassis that can be made to have a shit load of grip, and isn't dog shit slow like a Miata or 86. The lower trim Camaros, and Mustangs, do just that. Just last weekend I was pulling 1.2+ Gs at an autocross.
Yup you nailed it! But there is definitely nothing wrong with wanting that raw straight line power too, so I'm not in any way knocking the V8s.
Old 08-01-2020, 04:37 PM   #91
Timbo-1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Life is short, get the LE and push for a discount
Timbo-1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 06:40 PM   #92
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
once or twice a year track...? that's like saying i want to daily my car on a 17x4 and 15x10 bias ply setup because i want to go to the drag strip twice a year. don't plan on ever flooring the car because i don't drive spiritedly.

regardless of the banter, i say get a ss 1LE and never look back. awesome cars.
Old 08-01-2020, 08:28 PM   #93
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
Quote:
once or twice a year track...? that's like saying i want to daily my car on a 17x4 and 15x10 bias ply setup because i want to go to the drag strip twice a year. don't plan on ever flooring the car because i don't drive spiritedly.

regardless of the banter, i say get a ss 1LE and never look back. awesome cars.

That's a good question... how many track events per year would make it worth having a track setup. I'm only doing 3 track night events this year with the covid shorten season, and i think it's totally worth it with just those three events. I think it depends on the daily driver situation. If you're like me, with sucky commute where the only fun to be had is a rare open highway on/off ramp to yourself which might happen 2 or 3 times a week, spending a whole hour on the track is just incredible!!!
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:14 PM   #94
Deesiel678

Drives: 2018 1LS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent_H_ View Post
Second is fun factor on the street: with the thinner rear tires on the non-1LE, would it be a little more playful in low-speed tight corners than the 1LE? The 1LE had grip for days which is great, but I think it would be fun to be able to let the back slip just a little bit (not drifting or burning rubber or anything, just a little fun mini-powerslide kinda thing). If you've driven the BRZ/86 something like that, where you really aren't even making noise with the tires but it's playful. I fear that the limits of the 1LE are so high that it'd almost be too composed on the street, but the BRZ/86 just didn't do it for me with its complete lack of torque.
The V6 1LE is playful on the street.
Old 08-15-2020, 11:51 AM   #95
Silent_H_

Update: I just got back from ordering and I did go with the 1LE!
Old 08-15-2020, 03:48 PM   #96
jrah

Drives: 2019 2LT 1LE V6
Details on what you ordered and what your first mods will be.

Congrats!
jrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 05:25 PM   #97
Silent_H_

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrah View Post
Details on what you ordered and what your first mods will be.

Congrats!
Thanks! I got a red hot V6 with 1LE and tech packages. My first mod will be tint, then winter rims and tires.
Old 10-29-2021, 06:00 PM   #98
Silent_H_

Updating this thread in case anyone finds it in the future pondering the same thing. It's sad that it will have to be for used cars as they have since discontinued the LT 1LE packages!

But I just wanted to say I'm 100000% glad I went with the 1LE. It has been fantastic, and I think just that little extra bit special. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.