Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-26-2020, 10:06 AM   #1
20Bluezl1

Drives: 2020 Zl1 A10 Riverside Blue
Zl1 square setups

So im looking to change out my wheels and tires. I would like to run a square setup because I think it would be better for the track. I will start going to the track soon and I drive hard in the street. I was thinking Apex Arc-8 19"x11" front and rear. And running a 305/30-19 or 315/30-19.

Not sure what tire are guys running for hard street rides and track use. Also is anyone running a square setup?
Does it mess with the handling and feel?

Also thinking installing Vorshlag camber plates to help with camber adjustments.

Any feedback and suggestions appreciated.
20Bluezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 12:25 PM   #2
mblum

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Camaro
Have you done some track days with your current setup?
Old 07-26-2020, 01:46 PM   #3
20Bluezl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblum View Post
Have you done some track days with your current setup?
Not yet,but I kind of want to be ready to order setup so I don't have car sitting with no tires.
Old 07-26-2020, 02:37 PM   #4
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
Do you have any track time yet? I did just fine for several years only going once or twice a year on my OEM 17 Camaro SS. If you have a bunch of track time, you probably know what you want. If you don't, I would wait until you get some instructed seat time.
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 10:24 PM   #5
warren3537

Drives: 2019 Red Hot ZL1 1LE: 2012 RAM 2500
I did the bronze ARC-8's 19x10 square running Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ 285/35-19's and have kept my stock set for when I want to track it or find some winding roads.
warren3537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 06:37 AM   #6
20Bluezl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren3537 View Post
I did the bronze ARC-8's 19x10 square running Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ 285/35-19's and have kept my stock set for when I want to track it or find some winding roads.
So you feel like your stock set handles better then your ARC-8 setup.
Old 07-27-2020, 07:07 AM   #7
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren3537 View Post
What are the offset of those wheels?
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 11:19 AM   #8
mblum

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Bluezl1 View Post
Not yet,but I kind of want to be ready to order setup so I don't have car sitting with no tires.
The reason I asked about previous track experience is the car you have is incredibly capable in factory form with a good alignment. The car's capable of performance that most average drivers cannot fully extract without dozens of track days. In fact if you do not have significant seat time on a track I don't think it's necessary to have a dedicated track set of wheels if your plans are going to be tracking the car only a few times per year.

I track my car when ever I get a chance and it's completely stock other than the "track alignment" and I feel that the car is definitely not holding me back, but I'm holding the car back. I typically run in the advanced group at our track events and run towards the mid/front of the pack, so I'm not babying the car.

If you have years of tracking experience under your belt and can drive a car at it's limits, then maybe a set of dedicated wheels/tires would help.

Now if you are wanting to get another set of wheels for looks alone, consider keeping the stock wheels/tires for your track setup and use the new ones for street driving with a more street/daily driver friendly tire.
Old 07-27-2020, 01:26 PM   #9
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mblum View Post
The reason I asked about previous track experience is the car you have is incredibly capable in factory form with a good alignment. The car's capable of performance that most average drivers cannot fully extract without dozens of track days. In fact if you do not have significant seat time on a track I don't think it's necessary to have a dedicated track set of wheels if your plans are going to be tracking the car only a few times per year.

I track my car when ever I get a chance and it's completely stock other than the "track alignment" and I feel that the car is definitely not holding me back, but I'm holding the car back. I typically run in the advanced group at our track events and run towards the mid/front of the pack, so I'm not babying the car.

If you have years of tracking experience under your belt and can drive a car at it's limits, then maybe a set of dedicated wheels/tires would help.

Now if you are wanting to get another set of wheels for looks alone, consider keeping the stock wheels/tires for your track setup and use the new ones for street driving with a more street/daily driver friendly tire.
I second this; recommend keeping stock wheels/tires and the track alignment for track use if you don't have a lot of track time under your belt. The car comes tuned around the stock tire and wheel setup from the factory (all of the PTM, TC, ESC, ABS, eLSD, and suspension) and does really well as a package on track. Changing to different wheel/tire setups will mess with that balance and only really can make you faster once you're comfortable holding the car at the limit with all the control systems off.
Old 07-27-2020, 02:17 PM   #10
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1BC View Post
I second this; recommend keeping stock wheels/tires and the track alignment for track use if you don't have a lot of track time under your belt. The car comes tuned around the stock tire and wheel setup from the factory (all of the PTM, TC, ESC, ABS, eLSD, and suspension) and does really well as a package on track. Changing to different wheel/tire setups will mess with that balance and only really can make you faster once you're comfortable holding the car at the limit with all the control systems off.
I agree. Stock GY3s are good. As a novice the only reasons I see to get a non-stock setup are:

- Performance in cool weather. It's basically a waste of time and money to go to an event if the tires won't heat up. Terminal understeer is not that much fun.

- Running a more street oriented tire on the stock rims such as Michelin PS4S. If you drive the car on the street a lot this may be a good idea, then getting some dedicated 19s for track so you don't destroy the PS4S too quickly makes more sense.

I don't care that much if I can get better results by spending $$$ on tires, I don't have goals that include high level competition. My main issue is if temps are too cold and I have to run early the stock tires never get warm enough for autox, it really does make late season events almost not worth attending if it's colder out.
Old 07-27-2020, 03:18 PM   #11
20Bluezl1

Ok so I don't have experience on the track with cars but I did track with motorcycles which is a different animal. The only reason i believed that changing out the stock wheels would benefit is weight reduction and also tires would be cheaper.
Old 07-27-2020, 03:23 PM   #12
20Bluezl1

Also I dont drive in the cold weather or rain. And when I do go out for a ride its for the backroads and take it pretty hard.

Would I benefit from adding camber plates for better adjustability for camber?
Old 07-27-2020, 06:28 PM   #13
mblum

The stock suspension (production tolerances can vary) can be set to 2.3 - 2.6 degrees negative camber in the front, which is good enough for any aggressive street setup and most track setups. For this reason camber plates are not necessary for street or most track applications. Those that use their car primarily as a track car or track very often may find they need more negative camber than the stock suspension can provide, in my opinion for those that only track their cars a few times per year camber plates probably are not needed.
Old 07-28-2020, 09:57 AM   #14
warren3537

Drives: 2019 Red Hot ZL1 1LE: 2012 RAM 2500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Bluezl1 View Post
So you feel like your stock set handles better then your ARC-8 setup.
I did the square setup for daily driving and of course come winter time I don't have to worry about the tires warming up, the stock set does handle better when it comes to stance and softer tires because it grips better.
warren3537 is offline   Reply With Quote