Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Phastek Performance

Old 07-21-2020, 09:51 PM   #1
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Car won't connect to WiFi

Greetings, all.

2017 1SS.

I turned off WiFi in the car years ago, but recently thought I would re-enable to see if there are any updates OTA.

Now, it sees my network, but fails every time it tries to connect.

I'm using WPA2. Signal strength is good. I also tried using a Hotspot on my iPhone and it connects to that, but then says there is no network available.

Any ideas on further troubleshooting?

TIA.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 12:28 AM   #2
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
That's not how the car's wifi works.

The car is the access point (hotspot).

It gets to the internet thru it's cellular connection that you have to subscribe to and is part of the onstar module. It wont utilize your phone's internet connection in order to provide access to other devices or anything like that.

This is a convenience feature so various cell phones can avoid having to use their own cell modules to access the internet for the supposedly stronger car cell radio (though they also get to monitor everything your devices do and sell that info to advertisers and what other related business partners ...which you sign away the rights to when you subscribe).

It has nothing to do with things like android auto or any music streaming where the data is coming from your cell phone ....that stuff streams from your phone via cell radio on your phone (unless you're connected via wifi, in which case if your car isn't subscribed ...you wont get any internet access while connected to the wifi).
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 07:41 AM   #3
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
That's not how the car's wifi works.

The car is the access point (hotspot).

It gets to the internet thru it's cellular connection that you have to subscribe to and is part of the onstar module. It wont utilize your phone's internet connection in order to provide access to other devices or anything like that.

This is a convenience feature so various cell phones can avoid having to use their own cell modules to access the internet for the supposedly stronger car cell radio (though they also get to monitor everything your devices do and sell that info to advertisers and what other related business partners ...which you sign away the rights to when you subscribe).

It has nothing to do with things like android auto or any music streaming where the data is coming from your cell phone ....that stuff streams from your phone via cell radio on your phone (unless you're connected via wifi, in which case if your car isn't subscribed ...you wont get any internet access while connected to the wifi).
The information you posted about the car being able to be a hot spot is accurate, but the rest is pretty inaccurate. It's possible that your car (2016) doesn't support this while the rest do...

In the Settings menu, you have both Wi-Fi Hotspot and Wi-Fi Networks. From Wi-Fi Networks, you choose the network you want to connect to and enter the password for it if required. At that point, you should be prompted to agree to the ridiculous terms and privacy statements and should then be able to be "on your way" using the Wi-Fi network you just connected to. See attached photos.

With regard to software updates, I don't believe that there is any requirement for OnStar to be active. My car had the generic one month service that I let lapse because I -never- use any of their features and I was able to check for updates this morning manually (it found none).
Attached Images

ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 07:46 AM   #4
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
Greetings, all.

2017 1SS.

I turned off WiFi in the car years ago, but recently thought I would re-enable to see if there are any updates OTA.

Now, it sees my network, but fails every time it tries to connect.

I'm using WPA2. Signal strength is good. I also tried using a Hotspot on my iPhone and it connects to that, but then says there is no network available.

Any ideas on further troubleshooting?

TIA.
You can try connecting to a 2.4GHz network specifically and not a 5GHz one (unless all you have is the former), although the car clearly has both radios in it as it sees both frequencies of networks from my house.

For the software updates, just go down to that section of the settings and check for updates. Make sure the car is outside in an area where there's a clear view of the sky AND you should get AT&T cell signal (that's the carrier network that these systems are tied to).

As an aside... There used to be a way to get your car added to a multi-device plan from AT&T by providing them with the eSIM of the car, but I don't know if this is possible with these units. I had considered doing this for my 2015 Silverado when I realized that I would be paying more money to use the same data from my phone and never went through with it.
Old 07-22-2020, 10:24 AM   #5
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
The information you posted about the car being able to be a hot spot is accurate, but the rest is pretty inaccurate. It's possible that your car (2016) doesn't support this while the rest do...

In the Settings menu, you have both Wi-Fi Hotspot and Wi-Fi Networks. From Wi-Fi Networks, you choose the network you want to connect to and enter the password for it if required. At that point, you should be prompted to agree to the ridiculous terms and privacy statements and should then be able to be "on your way" using the Wi-Fi network you just connected to. See attached photos.

With regard to software updates, I don't believe that there is any requirement for OnStar to be active. My car had the generic one month service that I let lapse because I -never- use any of their features and I was able to check for updates this morning manually (it found none).

indeed, the 2016 doesn't do any of that wifi network connection stuff, doesn't have the option setting or anything. It is strictly a hotspot/access point and gets it's internet connection from the 4g cell radio in the onstar module. I figured the 2017 was in the same boat (which is what the op has) ...but it would seem not.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 10:33 AM   #6
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
indeed, the 2016 doesn't do any of that wifi network connection stuff, doesn't have the option setting or anything. It is strictly a hotspot/access point and gets it's internet connection from the 4g cell radio in the onstar module. I figured the 2017 was in the same boat (which is what the op has) ...but it would seem not.
Yeah, that's where I'm not certain either. I have seen information from some folks that own 2017 models that seem to have this function. Not sure how that all relates to specific Infotainments systems and/or trim levels.
Old 07-29-2021, 04:53 PM   #7
Robert2021

Drives: Camaro 2ss 2018
I find a way to fix that problem

Try to go to setting than to factory reset or like that click on clear data more than two time and you will get a new massage that say you need to turn off your auto and open close the door and wait one minute . This will full reset your auto data
Robert2021 is offline   Reply With Quote