Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-30-2020, 08:32 PM   #211
joe944

Drives: 18' A10 ZL1 , 18' F150, 04' MSM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Tesla is a BRAND, Camaro is a MODEL. Not really an appropriate comparison of sorts.
True, but to be fair they don't have a big model variance and they share a lot of the same core components.
joe944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 08:05 AM   #212
CamaroRSOnt

Drives: 2023 SS Vert
Quote:
Tesla is a BRAND, Camaro is a MODEL. Not really an appropriate comparison of sorts.

You might note that the JD Power surveys "models" because that is what customers buy so yes Camaro is in those samples. They survey tens of thousands of owners to come up with these scores. Then JD Power lumps those surveys together under the company that manufacturers them. There are breakout scores of individual models, see below for Camaro's.

Tesla finished last of 32 at the manufacturer level, their quality sucks. What other manufacturer assembles cars in a tent? lol

Chevrolet was tied for 3rd of 32.

Tesla is so bad they refuse to provide J.D. Power permission to contact customers in 15 states (where permission is required) so JD Power has to do work-arounds to survey their customers which limits their survey to some degree. All models are included. JD Power is not alone, remember Consumer Reports gave Tesla a cannot recommend.

Regarding JD Powers surveys of the Camaro model - the 2019 Camaro had a score of "great" across the board on JD Powers survey which included the categories of quality and reliability, driving experience, resale and dealership experience. Lower is better, across those categories Camaro scored in the 80's, as a contrast Tesla in the 250's. Camaro scores in those categories rated it rate up there with Porsche.

https://www.jdpower.com/cars/2019/ch...ro/2dr-cpe-1lt

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/25/2...quality-survey

Tesla – 250 PP100

Tesla earned the worst score of any automaker rated by J.D. Power this year, with an average of 250 problems per 100 vehicles...

The new study is based on responses from 87,282 purchasers and lessees of new 2020 model-year vehicles. It was fielded from February through March 2020. The results follow news of a National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) investigation into early Model S touchscreen failures, and a separate report claiming early Model S cars shipped with a dangerous battery pack flaw.

Tesla receives a special callout in the list because the survey doesn’t cover all 50 states. However, increased sales of the Model 3 allowed JD Power to collect enough data to measure quality for the first time. “Unlike other manufacturers, Tesla doesn’t grant us permission to survey its owners in 15 states where it is required,” said JD Power’s Doug Betts. “However, we were able to collect a large enough sample of surveys from owners in the other 35 states and, from that base, we calculated Tesla’s score.”

Last summer, reports emerged that Tesla was cutting corners on Model 3 production to meet aggressive goals. The company had to build a temporary tent to meet Musk’s ambitious target of producing 6,000 Model 3’s per week. Concerns that Musk has prioritized quantity over quality are a recurring theme for Tesla, that have recently been extended to the Model Y. The data collected by JD Power bears this out.
2014 C7 Z51
2020 RS Convertible
2023 2SS Convertible

Last edited by CamaroRSOnt; 07-31-2020 at 08:34 AM.
CamaroRSOnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 08:47 AM   #213
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroRSOnt View Post
You might note that the JD Power surveys "models" because that is what customers buy so yes Camaro is in those samples. They survey tens of thousands of owners to come up with these scores. Then JD Power lumps those surveys together under the company that manufacturers them. There are breakout scores of individual models, see below for Camaro's.

Tesla finished last of 32 at the manufacturer level, their quality sucks. What other manufacturer assembles cars in a tent? lol

Chevrolet was tied for 3rd of 32.

Tesla is so bad they refuse to provide J.D. Power permission to contact customers in 15 states (where permission is required) so JD Power has to do work-arounds to survey their customers which limits their survey to some degree. All models are included. JD Power is not alone, remember Consumer Reports gave Tesla a cannot recommend.
And?

JD Power is best-known for their "initial quality" awards which are a joke. Reliability "awards" are for three model year old cars only and are based on owner follow-ups. Many Camaro owners don't keep their cars that long, and right now there are only two model years eligible for these awards. It's a bogus way of doing it.

The fact still stands that what has been getting discussed in this thread is that the Gen6 Camaro (a particular model produced over a number of years) is ranked as having low reliability. There was nothing discussed as to its "initial quality", nor was anything discussed about Chevy (a brand) as a whole.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:43 PM   #214
SD-1LE

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
According to JD Power , Tesla ranked 32 among 32 models based on customer surveys of quality...
it's a feature, not a bug. They just got the new angle kit for drifting haha
SD-1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 08:23 PM   #215
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
I have 29,000 miles, mostly highway, the A8 and GMs electronic quality worries me.
ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:25 AM   #216
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
I always take these reports with a grain of salt, especially in a car like the camaro that comes in so many engine and trans configurations. Besides the body and chassis, a given camaro can be a totally different car than another.

I don't just feel this way about the camaro but any highly configurable car or truck with lots of engine and trans variety.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 02:16 PM   #217
CamaroRSOnt

Quote:

The fact still stands that what has been getting discussed in this thread is that the Gen6 Camaro (a particular model produced over a number of years) is ranked as having low reliability.

Okay, do you have those surveys that tell us those "facts" about the Camaro, a link will do.
2014 C7 Z51
2020 RS Convertible
2023 2SS Convertible
Old 08-05-2020, 10:39 AM   #218
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Okay, do you have those surveys that tell us those "facts" about the Camaro, a link will do.
You have nothing useful to contribute to anything being discussed so you now are trying to put it on me to back up so-called facts that I never claimed were accurate?

If you're going to attempt to argue, you should be sure to arrive prepared, with facts, and address the correct person. Statements like yours show ignorance, not intelligence.
Old 08-05-2020, 12:44 PM   #219
CamaroRSOnt

Quote:
You have nothing useful to contribute to anything being discussed so you now are trying to put it on me to back up so-called facts that I never claimed were accurate?

If you're going to attempt to argue, you should be sure to arrive prepared, with facts, and address the correct person. Statements like yours show ignorance, not intelligence.

So no real facts , I'll take that as a no.

I'll give you some info then to help, according to this detailed article Camaro ranks ahead of the Mustang and behind the Challenger.

https://autowise.com/which-muscle-ca...er-or-mustang/
2014 C7 Z51
2020 RS Convertible
2023 2SS Convertible

Last edited by CamaroRSOnt; 08-05-2020 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-05-2020, 01:13 PM   #220
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
So no real facts , I'll take that as a no.

I'll give you some info then to help, according to this detailed article Camaro ranks ahead of the Mustang and behind the Challenger.

https://autowise.com/which-muscle-ca...er-or-mustang/
Once again, you're directing your argument at the wrong person.
Old 08-05-2020, 02:52 PM   #221
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
I recall reading this article somewhere before...

Kinda surprised to see that an FCA product doing that well but as the article mentioned, it also gets traded in sooner than the other two cars so the more reliable perception could be from that.

Also, comparing pony cars to a Camry reliability is dumb. The obvious flaw is that no one drives a Camry like a Camaro, and vice versa. As a Toyota driver, it's a rule that you have to hog the left lane while going 10 MPH or so under the speed limit(and this includes the Supra with its windows down, unless you love wind buffeting), and never, ever dare to exceed 3000 RPM.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 03:08 PM   #222
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
I recall reading this article somewhere before...

Kinda surprised to see that an FCA product doing that well but as the article mentioned, it also gets traded in sooner than the other two cars so the more reliable perception could be from that.

Also, comparing pony cars to a Camry reliability is dumb. The obvious flaw is that no one drives a Camry like a Camaro, and vice versa. As a Toyota driver, it's a rule that you have to hog the left lane while going 10 MPH or so under the speed limit(and this includes the Supra with its windows down, unless you love wind buffeting), and never, ever dare to exceed 3000 RPM.
Look around long and hard enough, and one can find "evidence" on the Internet to support any half-baked point of view.
Old 08-06-2020, 02:38 PM   #223
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquem View Post
I have had good luck with consumer reports in the past (circa 2000). Bought a 2001 Acura Type S based off their data. It was bullet proof. I sold it with 200,000 miles on it and had not replaced a single thing. Still had factory clutch.
They changed somewhere over the past 10 years or so. I consider it useless data anymore.
Ever gone to a Toyota, Nissan or Honda dealership service dept? There are as many cars there waiting for service like any other dealership.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 02:41 PM   #224
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
Usually CR is based on customer "complaints". Which can be basically anything.

I'd suspect there's a whole lot of A8 related complaints helping to make up that score. I bet the Silverado isn't too far away from those scores..
Yeh..they complained about the back seats and not being able to see out of it. Consumer report translated that as break downs.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote