Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-08-2018, 04:30 PM   #15
srcstc

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
They simply don't fit and can't work on modern cars. They'll be around as long as young kids can't afford newer cars but in 10 years time, when even a cheap 15 year old car has no provision for DIN, DIN & 1/2, and double DIN head units, even home made custom jobs, they won't be able to sell them.

Young kids usually can't afford high end flagship double dins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srcstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:17 PM   #16
gblaue

Drives: 2017 Bright Yellow ZL1 6spd
Quote:
I think he means Alpine, Pioneer, Clarion, etc..... they might not exactly go out of business since they make aftermarket amps which will probably still be in demand (Pioneer is in home electronics as well so they'll be fine), but they may end head unit production.
Who do you think makes the factory car head Units? Alpine, Pioneer, Clarion (with the help of the Japanese government, Panasonic, Harman, and Denso are eating from both ends of the Twizzler.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:39 PM   #17
drfeelgood

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Convertible A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by srcstc View Post
Yeah that's what I meant. I think even amplifier sales have gone down substantially. It's not as easy to hook up an amp in a modern car. Before you'd buy a new head unit and just run the RCAs. Not you can't replace the head unit and most cars have an amp in the trunk and some use fiber optics. It's not as simple as it used to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
not as easy, but still possible. A lot of aftermarket equipment uses fiber optics now as well.
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

'17 Maserati Levante- STOCK
drfeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:58 PM   #18
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by gblaue View Post
Who do you think makes the factory car head Units? Alpine, Pioneer, Clarion (with the help of the Japanese government, Panasonic, Harman, and Denso are eating from both ends of the Twizzler.
Right but the point is there’s no longer head units in cars.

Our Camaros have a touchscreen made by anyone who makes touchscreens and an amp and speakers made by Bose. The touchscreen could be anyone, not necessarily a car audio maker.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 07:58 PM   #19
gblaue

Quote:
Right but the point is there’s no longer head units in cars.

Our Camaros have a touchscreen made by anyone who makes touchscreens and an amp and speakers made by Bose. The touchscreen could be anyone, not necessarily a car audio maker.
There’s still a head unit, the human interface is just remotely located now. It’s nothing new. Blaupunkt did this in the mid 70s. The real issue is the digital audio/infotainment busses that the cars use now. The several of them out there, MOST, Ethernet AVB, Ethernet... When it as analog audio, there was a common standard. Analog. As long as there is many different standards, and protocol implementations by different auto manufacturers, there is little chance that there will be aftermarket components. It’s just not profitable. Liabilities of crashing a CAN bus in a car. DTCP, HDCP, liabilities of protected content.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:21 PM   #20
cengell

Drives: 2017 2LT Garnet Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfeelgood View Post
Yes, CD is still superior to even 320bps MP3, people don't seem to understand that. I have a FLAC player in my car, so I can listen to uncompressed digital files , but yes
I agree MP3's on a very HQ audio system are not reaching the SQ equal to the EQ. So I will encode my CD's to M4A and WOW so much better SQ. My M4A encoding setting are 320 Bit Rate and using the AAC-LC codec, and the sample rate is 48Khz.

Christopher
cengell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 08:36 PM   #21
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
There’s still a head unit, the human interface is just remotely located now. It’s nothing new. Blaupunkt did this in the mid 70s. The real issue is the digital audio/infotainment busses that the cars use now. The several of them out there, MOST, Ethernet AVB, Ethernet... When it as analog audio, there was a common standard. Analog. As long as there is many different standards, and protocol implementations by different auto manufacturers, there is little chance that there will be aftermarket components. It’s just not profitable. Liabilities of crashing a CAN bus in a car. DTCP, HDCP, liabilities of protected content.
Well the audio processor is integrated in the Bose amp so I’m not sure you can call that a head unit. If there was a head unit per se you could tap into the audio signal before the Bose to run aftermarket amps.

The touchscreen goes to the ECM, from the ECM to the factory amp, then out to the speakers.

I don’t see where there is anything remotely similar to what you’re calling a head unit in the audio flowchart schematic
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 12:13 PM   #22
drfeelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by cengell View Post
I agree MP3's on a very HQ audio system are not reaching the SQ equal to the EQ. So I will encode my CD's to M4A and WOW so much better SQ. My M4A encoding setting are 320 Bit Rate and using the AAC-LC codec, and the sample rate is 48Khz.

Christopher
yessir, THAT is the way to do it !
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

Old 06-09-2018, 12:21 PM   #23
drfeelgood

Quote:
Well the audio processor is integrated in the Bose amp so I’m not sure you can call that a head unit. If there was a head unit per se you could tap into the audio signal before the Bose to run aftermarket amps.

The touchscreen goes to the ECM, from the ECM to the factory amp, then out to the speakers.

I don’t see where there is anything remotely similar to what you’re calling a head unit in the audio flowchart schematic
I may be wrong, but I thought there is still a ton of info contained in the touchscreen unit, prior to the ECM. The M650-GM unit utilizes this , and sends the signal to both the ECM and out via both digital and analog signals to an aftermarket sound processor or amplifier. Nav-tec was able to dissect the MOST system and created a phenomenal product, but from what I understand this is VERY expensive to replicate.

I think what gblaue is talking about is that expense. And since MOST is just one buss system in use, unless the industry standardizes this, it would be cost prohibitive for a company to reverse engineer a product for EACH type of buss system.

Things are just much more complicated nowadays.

Old 06-09-2018, 12:38 PM   #24
gblaue

Quote:

I can tell you with 10000% certainty that the Bose amp is only sent stereo audio data, in I2S audio format, encrypted on the MOST bus. The “touchscreen” is connected to the HMI module under the passenger side dashboard. The HMI module has the digital decoder, if you will, that takes compressed audio from usb, satellite, Navi, and digital tuner and decompressed it back to I2S audio format, then puts it onto the MOST bus to the Bose amp.
Old 06-09-2018, 01:18 PM   #25
drfeelgood

Quote:
I can tell you with 10000% certainty that the Bose amp is only sent stereo audio data, in I2S audio format, encrypted on the MOST bus. The “touchscreen” is connected to the HMI module under the passenger side dashboard. The HMI module has the digital decoder, if you will, that takes compressed audio from usb, satellite, Navi, and digital tuner and decompressed it back to I2S audio format, then puts it onto the MOST bus to the Bose amp.
I learn every time you post

Old 06-09-2018, 01:45 PM   #26
gblaue

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfeelgood View Post
I learn every time you post
Old 08-03-2020, 12:14 PM   #27
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
I know this is an old thread, but this seems like it's exactly what I'm interested in locating..

Can you provide any specifics with where it is / how to get to it?

My explicit interest is in understanding if there's a standard USB port on that unit that I could "split" in order to drop a connection into the glove box. There's ZERO room for my phone anywhere in this car and having the USB cable routed out of the center console is unsightly and leaves it exposed to damage. Not to mention, with a convertible, the phone overheats because the sun is beating down on it. I'm looking for a way to toss the phone into the glove box (the only place it will actually fit in the car) and have it be powered, connected to Android Auto / Apple CarPlay, -and- be out of the sun with no cables out in the open.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 03:54 PM   #28
gblaue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
I know this is an old thread, but this seems like it's exactly what I'm interested in locating..

Can you provide any specifics with where it is / how to get to it?

My explicit interest is in understanding if there's a standard USB port on that unit that I could "split" in order to drop a connection into the glove box. There's ZERO room for my phone anywhere in this car and having the USB cable routed out of the center console is unsightly and leaves it exposed to damage. Not to mention, with a convertible, the phone overheats because the sun is beating down on it. I'm looking for a way to toss the phone into the glove box (the only place it will actually fit in the car) and have it be powered, connected to Android Auto / Apple CarPlay, -and- be out of the sun with no cables out in the open.

Splitting a USB cable is just going to cause you headaches. What I would do, is either unmount the USB connector in the center console, unbundle the wire in the harness, and reroute it to your glovebox. I'd bet that it may reach. Or, get a USB extension cord, plug it in you console, and route it to the glove box.