Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Phastek Performance

Old 02-24-2020, 06:31 PM   #99
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by KuroOkami View Post
I know this is an older topic, but I don't think it ever really dies. I want to premise these comments by saying that I'm not a mechanical engineer/expert or mechanic and I don't work for GM/Chevrolet, but I was recently watching some documentaries on the build factories for both the 5th gen and 6th gen Camaros. First, tolerances on these new engines have gotten so good that they are now taking measurements in microns on the production line. This helps to alleviate some of the need for traditional break-ins, but not all of it. As far as testing the motor separately once it is built, they don't test it traditionally by running fuel through it. They test with forced air, which they mention only takes 80 secs to get up to speed, and then they check for leaks. Other than that, the only break-in as a completed vehicle seems to be driving it off the line for water testing and driving it between transportation spots (on a truck, on a train, waiting in a parking lot/warehouse). So what is my point?!? Overall, I believe that the break-in recommended by GM in the manual is still important to thoroughly sync all the systems and components of the vehicle together as a complete system. I also believe that it allows the vehicles computer to learn about the driver and what to expect for inputs while driving on the road and that all of this is important to keep your new vehicle well maintained and running for many years to come. Is is absolutely necessary, no. Any idiot with some money can go down and buy a car and mash the pedal to the floor as hard as he can for as long as he can. Will that car blow up? Probably not. Technology and tolerances are too good these days for that to happen with anything that can pass all the regulations to be on the street these days. Will that car last as long or hold up as well as the same car where the owner has done a proper break-in and keeps his vehicle well maintained? I think not.

As for what I intend to do. I plan to mostly follow the recommended break-in with the following additions. First, drive the car for a week or 50 about miles, whichever is less. After the first 50, do a initial oil change and if I haven't already, install a catch can (but preferably before this point, but no later). Then I follow the break-in plan for the rest of the 1500 miles of the car. Follow this up with a fluids change (oil and transmission). Beyond that, it is just following the recommended and needed maintenance with quality products and enjoying the ride.

I was thinking about how I need to drive for the break-in as my new car is almost here and I realize that I live in absolutely the best area for break-in of a vehicle. I live in a semi-rural area of southern California, so there is never such a thing as a no driving season. Beyond that, there are a lot of fairly well maintained country back roads through low winding hills and smaller mountain ranges.

So all I have to do is go for leisurely weekend drives through the hills. All the turns and hills will make sure that I don't keep the car at a constant speed and break-in the brakes, tires and transmission all at the same time. The occasional traffic and weekend will keep the speed and RPMs down. All I have to do is enjoy a nice cruise and my break-in will be over before I know it.

And as for people still harping on the skip-shift feature, get over it. Yes, it kinda contradicts how you are supposed to be driving, but it saves us from having to spends hundreds and sometimes even thousands of dollars in taxes and can be fixed in about 5 mins with a $12 part. I'll take that trade off any day.
I saw the same video and am doing my break-in very similar to you (but doing my first oil change at 500 miles, I think 50 is way too early but I did put some Dimple Black Hole Magnets on my oil filter at 350 miles), I just approaching 400 miles (and even at this point the oil is still showing extremely clean with 96% oil life on the gauge) so will be doing the first oil (and differential fluid) change in the next couple weeks...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 12:35 PM   #100
04lss

Drives: 21 Camaro, 99 Tahoe, 14 audi s4
I gave my camaro 1000 miles of by the book break in. No full throttle acceleration, though frequent enough 40-60% pulls from 2k-4k. Kept the RPM varied on the highway where possible. At 1000 miles, I did a full throttle pull up to 80. After that im back to driving it generally like the break in period without worrying about varying the RPM too much. Im willing to give it the beans if Need/want to, but once i hit 1500, ill go to town.
also getting the oil changed at 1500.
04lss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 10:23 AM   #101
Dave88LX

Drives: 2022 2SS 1LE 6 MT
Has anything significant changed from 2016 when this was written, to any updates for 2022?

Last edited by Dave88LX; 08-10-2022 at 10:48 AM.
Dave88LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 11:40 AM   #102
keep_hope_alive
Electrical Engineer

Drives: 2023 1SS A10 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave88LX View Post
Has anything significant changed from 2016 when this was written, to any updates for 2022?
https://www.chevrolet.com/bypass/pcf...22AUG10_2P.pdf

These are the new 2023 manuals. Page 192 has the break-in procedures.

1100: 5/3/22 . . . . . . . 2000: 6/25/22 . . . . . .4000: 8/17/22 . . . . . . . 6000: 9/10/22

Daily Driver mileage update: 22k mi. @ April 2024
New Engine @ 22,600

Build Log: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...6#post11353116
keep_hope_alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 08:23 PM   #103
JTS

Drives: 2023 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive View Post

These are the new 2023 manuals. Page 192 has the break-in procedures.

Exactly what I am doing, about 500 miles I will
Call and make an appointment at the Dealership for my complamentary Oil Change ,and have them change the Differential fluid. And again around 1k to 1200 miles. Happy Motoring
JTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 10:14 PM   #104
havelegs

Drives: '23 LT1 A10
I bought mine used, doubt anyone followed the break in procedure.
havelegs is online now   Reply With Quote