Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-04-2020, 01:37 PM   #1
Xaxas

Drives: 2019 2SS 1LE
My experience trying to get Mobil 1 ESP at the dealership

TL;DR just about what you expect.

Service advisor thinks a "Mobil 1" oil change and a "Dexos" oil change are different things, had to explain to him kindly that "Dexos" is just a GM certification and not an oil brand like Mobil 1, tell him they should have it because it's used in the Vettes and after realizing he doesn't know what he's talking about, accompanies me to the parts department.

"Do you have this oil?" as I point out to an image on my phone "Mobile 1 ESP Dexos2 0w-40"
"Yes"
Then the service advisor says "Camaros use 5w-30", the **** lol
After the parts guy double checks the oil and the price, $11/quart! Sure I got a trip coming up and need it done asap, service advisor makes a note to use that oil; I'll pick up the car in a few hours and I'll ask for the bottle of the oil used...

You can't be explicit and safe enough with those people, no wonder they still make money cause suckers don't even know what they're getting for their money .

Previous: 2017 2LT aka "Noire"
Mods: Chevrolet Performance Suspension || K&N Cold Air Intake || Borla ATAK Mufflers + Catback system || MRR 650 ZL1 replicas with squared 285/30 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S || ZZP 4 piston brake kit + braided brake lines || BMR everything (Solid/Lockout cradle bushing are a MUST in Camaros)
Xaxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 01:48 PM   #2
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Make sure to check your oil level BEFORE you even start the car, many stories of dealers not knowing these engines take 10 qts...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 02:02 PM   #3
Xaxas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
Make sure to check your oil level BEFORE you even start the car, many stories of dealers not knowing these engines take 10 qts...
Iirc they keep their cars on the back so I don't have access to it, but I'll know how much they put in once I go and pay, and then again, I wouldn't be surprised they don't know.

My previous service advisor had the decency to listen to what I said and get it done, didn't take me a minute to tell her there's a Chevy specified track alignment and she got it done but sadly she's not there anymore :(

Mods: Chevrolet Performance Suspension || K&N Cold Air Intake || Borla ATAK Mufflers + Catback system || MRR 650 ZL1 replicas with squared 285/30 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S || ZZP 4 piston brake kit + braided brake lines || BMR everything (Solid/Lockout cradle bushing are a MUST in Camaros)
Old 08-04-2020, 02:05 PM   #4
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaxas View Post
Iirc they keep their cars on the back so I don't have access to it, but I'll know how much they put in once I go and pay, and then again, I wouldn't be surprised they don't know.

My previous service advisor had the decency to listen to what I said and get it done, didn't take me a minute to tell her there's a Chevy specified track alignment and she got it done but sadly she's not there anymore :(
Don't rely on the invoice, I would absolutely check the oil level before driving off...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 02:49 PM   #5
14Black1LESS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
That is part of the reason I always change the oil myself. Service departments are not like what they used to be. All they care about now is the almighty dollar.
Old 08-04-2020, 02:49 PM   #6
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
I mean, they aren't completely wrong. SS can use 5W-30 if it's exclusively driven on the street. No track time, though. 0W-40 covers both track and daily, while 15W-50 is a track-only oil. They also could be looking at a different year, I think before 2019 Camaro and Corvette use 5W-30 stock, but starting from 2019, 0W-40 ESP is the facotry fill and default oil.

And as the other thread mentioned, the dipstick in our car is pretty terrible. Pretty hard to read. You can tell if the car is underfilled, but hard to read if it's overfilled.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 02:52 PM   #7
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i just bring my own oil $35 for labor and oil filter and i always check it when they are done
Old 08-04-2020, 04:25 PM   #8
Xaxas

Update: $113 for 10 quarts of supposedly Mobil 1 ESP, service advisor didn't get me the bottles, next time I will bring my own and I will also check on the car oil level tomorrow morning.

On another note, I also asked if they could verify if the ECM is flashed because I have the Chevy Performance CAI, service advisor response?
"We were able to verify the car does have an aftermarket CAI"
"... Thank you"
Man, being a polite, well behaved adult sure is difficult...

Old 08-04-2020, 04:48 PM   #9
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
I mean, they aren't completely wrong. SS can use 5W-30 if it's exclusively driven on the street. No track time, though. 0W-40 covers both track and daily, while 15W-50 is a track-only oil. They also could be looking at a different year, I think before 2019 Camaro and Corvette use 5W-30 stock, but starting from 2019, 0W-40 ESP is the facotry fill and default oil.

And as the other thread mentioned, the dipstick in our car is pretty terrible. Pretty hard to read. You can tell if the car is underfilled, but hard to read if it's overfilled.
When I change the oil and put 10 quarts in, the dipstick reads dead middle of the hash mark area.
My first instinct was to fill to the top of the hash mark, then I thought about it.
10 quarts in the pan, oil in middle of scale on dipstick. Perfect.
You can tell low or high as the middle is full.
Old 08-04-2020, 05:19 PM   #10
50MileSmile

Drives: 2023 2SS, 2018 1SS 1LE, 1993 Z/28
You guys need a better dealer. At my first oil change, the service adviser asked me if I wanted the “standard” GM-spec oil or the Mobil “good stuff” (and what weight). Also, the oil was changed by a fully trained and certified tech, instead of one of the random quick-lube people.
50MileSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 05:38 PM   #11
Eldi Z

Drives: 17' 1SS 1LE GBA-Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post
When I change the oil and put 10 quarts in, the dipstick reads dead middle of the hash mark area.
My first instinct was to fill to the top of the hash mark, then I thought about it.
10 quarts in the pan, oil in middle of scale on dipstick. Perfect.
You can tell low or high as the middle is full.
According to my experience, 10 quarts (including filter change) should indicate top /max. point on the checkered marks on the dipstick.
Middle area would mean less than 10 Quarts filled.
Eldi Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 05:48 PM   #12
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldi Z View Post
According to my experience, 10 quarts (including filter change) should indicate top /max. point on the checkered marks on the dipstick.
Middle area would mean less than 10 Quarts filled.
First oil change I filled to top of hash marks because that's what I always did, and it was 11 quarts.
Second time 10 quarts and middle of hash again, but I didn't top it off that time. Figured it's got 10 quarts, it should be fine.
Just did my ninth oil change and 10 quarts puts my car in the middle of the hash marks every time. Doesn't seem to use any oil between changes either.

Old 08-04-2020, 05:58 PM   #13
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
before you track the car your suppose to overfill it on purpose my oil bottles are liters not quarts so i do 10 liters which 1 liter is 1.05669 quarts so it works out for me
Old 08-04-2020, 06:41 PM   #14
h018871
Geoff

Drives: 2020 ZL1 Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post
First oil change I filled to top of hash marks because that's what I always did, and it was 11 quarts.
Second time 10 quarts and middle of hash again, but I didn't top it off that time. Figured it's got 10 quarts, it should be fine.
Just did my ninth oil change and 10 quarts puts my car in the middle of the hash marks every time. Doesn't seem to use any oil between changes either.

Same. Mine is 11qts to the top of the hash area, 10qts puts it in the middle. I've been keeping 11qts in it, because it should be "full"..........now you have me rethinking this.