Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-03-2020, 09:59 PM   #1
NickyRacerBoy

Drives: 1LE
DSSV versus Magnetic Ride..my review

Well I just completed my second track day with the new dssv shocks. I'm currently running Hotchkis front sway bar and BMR rear bar. The first day at the track I had the front and rear bar on full soft. I was getting some mid-corner oversteer. But this time I set the front sway bar on medium. That oversteer was completely gone. I was able to break my personal best the first track day. Today was the second time out with new setup but this time front sway bar was in the middle position. Broke my personal best again. I know there's been some conversation about the spool valve dssv shocks and whether they're worth the money and effort I can say without a doubt for me it's substantially better than the stock Magnetic Ride shocks
NickyRacerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 01:44 AM   #2
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
Thanks for the review, if you don’t mind me asking, how much did you break your PB by?

I believe I recall some other forum members who owned ZL1’s saying that they improved by a half a second switching to the entire FEA suspension not just the shocks/springs.
Just to be clarify, you only changed the MRC to the DSSV?
Old 08-04-2020, 06:23 AM   #3
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
Thanks for the review, if you don’t mind me asking, how much did you break your PB by?

I believe I recall some other forum members who owned ZL1’s saying that they improved by a half a second switching to the entire FEA suspension not just the shocks/springs.
Well, the entire FEA suspension is pretty much the DSSV coilovers. Plus a F bar. That's how GM sells it. Not sure what happens with ride mode software etc when installed on MRC cars (as in, whether it needs to be flushed out). Here's an interesting discussion/feedback on the subject from a couple of yrs ago. Kčep in mind, Nicky's car is a full on RACE CAR in every respect.
A truly fantastic, yet very involved build.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...=528652&page=6

Nicky Bobby, congrats on the PB! Was it on the new motor?!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:44 AM   #4
NickyRacerBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Well, the entire FEA suspension is pretty much the DSSV coilovers. Plus a F bar. That's how GM sells it. Not sure what happens with ride mode software etc when installed on MRC cars (as in, whether it needs to be flushed out). Here's an interesting discussion/feedback on the subject from a couple of yrs ago. Kčep in mind, Nicky's car is a full on RACE CAR in every respect.
A truly fantastic, yet very involved build.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...=528652&page=6

Nicky Bobby, congrats on the PB! Was it on the new motor?!
Yeah on new engine. No more hydraulic lifters! Solid allows far greater valve spring pressure.

I have Hotchkis front bar on medium and BMR rear bar on soft.
Prior track day I had front bar on soft and was causing slight mid turn oversteer. With front on medium it's near perfect!

Need to control oil temps, 297F
Running this http://www.improvedracing.com/improv...ler-p-886.html
Old 08-04-2020, 09:48 AM   #5
NickyRacerBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post

More importantly then time was that I can push the car to the limit and feel more confidence!
Old 08-04-2020, 11:17 AM   #6
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Interesting, thanks!

I'm not surprised though, MRC uses softer springs and stiffer damping vs what may be ideal to achieve the "track" setting. Unless the system can increase spring rate as well as damping characteristics it's a compromise to enable the adjustability. Doesn't make much sense for a pure race car, but "Tour" mode is nice for cruising on the highway!
Old 08-04-2020, 12:17 PM   #7
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyRacerBoy View Post
More importantly then time was that I can push the car to the limit and feel more confidence!
Is that because of damping control?

I am assuming that increase confidence comes from the shocks re-composing themselves faster than the MRC, once upset?

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 12:24 PM   #8
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
Interesting, thanks!

I'm not surprised though, MRC uses softer springs and stiffer damping vs what may be ideal to achieve the "track" setting. Unless the system can increase spring rate as well as damping characteristics it's a compromise to enable the adjustability. Doesn't make much sense for a pure race car, but "Tour" mode is nice for cruising on the highway!
So true,

It is the weirdest feeling at first when you are used to a sports suspension being stiff from the get-go.

The SS 1LE springs are rather soft and this makes it feel a bit sloppy in the 1-15 MPH range, especially when going over a large speed-bump. Most sports cars are tightly sprung and feel very solid in that range.

It comes into its own though as the speeds builds. One of the first thing I noticed when I started pushing my car harder and going faster, is that the damping and control stayed the same, even as the speeds increased. 110 MPH feels the same as 60 MPH. In most sports cars with a traditional set-up, the faster you go, the more intense things get.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 06:37 PM   #9
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
So true,

It is the weirdest feeling at first when you are used to a sports suspension being stiff from the get-go.

The SS 1LE springs are rather soft and this makes it feel a bit sloppy in the 1-15 MPH range, especially when going over a large speed-bump. Most sports cars are tightly sprung and feel very solid in that range.

It comes into its own though as the speeds builds. One of the first thing I noticed when I started pushing my car harder and going faster, is that the damping and control stayed the same, even as the speeds increased. 110 MPH feels the same as 60 MPH. In most sports cars with a traditional set-up, the faster you go, the more intense things get.
Agree! Any pro will tell us, that a confidence inspiring car is a prerequisite to fast laps. Period. Full stop.
Ricky Bobby said the same thing (of course).
And this is also true for a fantastically balanced SS 1LE: it is easy to push to the limit. And that's what makes for a fast performer, especially for us amateurs.

I also agree with Dave, the Tour mode is truly fantastic for DD, or going to/from track. I had streeted my Vette track car for a very short period and it was a very trying experience. Zero fun! Ended up with a trailer

Cheers!
Old 08-04-2020, 06:38 PM   #10
TrackClub

Quote:
Yeah on new engine. No more hydraulic lifters! Solid allows far greater valve spring pressure.

I have Hotchkis front bar on medium and BMR rear bar on soft.
Prior track day I had front bar on soft and was causing slight mid turn oversteer. With front on medium it's near perfect!

Need to control oil temps, 297F
Running this http://www.improvedracing.com/improv...ler-p-886.html
Ouch on the oil! Ya dont want to grenade a new motor...
Old 08-04-2020, 10:44 PM   #11
racerx8

Drives: '18 SIM 1LE '16 NRB Z06 '21 C8 Z51
Great news! Your car is going to be the blueprint for a lot of the Camaro racers.
I've got my front Hotchkis and rear BMR bars arriving this week per your suggestions along with some APEX 19's and either GY GSC3R's or Hoosiers.
I'll likely stay FE4 though but car diet, race seats, etc. this winter.
racerx8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 12:23 PM   #12
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Just curious, are you running the FEA/DSSV Kit/ZL1 1LE springs or something different?
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:45 PM   #13
NickyRacerBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
Is that because of damping control?

I am assuming that increase confidence comes from the shocks re-composing themselves faster than the MRC, once upset?
Definitely!

More rebound and compression damping!
Old 08-05-2020, 08:47 PM   #14
NickyRacerBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
Just curious, are you running the FEA/DSSV Kit/ZL1 1LE springs or something different?
Running FEA with springs and shocks as ZL1E delivers from factory. I don't run Zl1E oem bars though.