Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-02-2020, 08:37 PM   #1
Taos

Drives: 2SS
Reduced Engine Power

Sorry if this was mentioned before. I did a search and nothing came up.

I have 2016 2SS manual shift with just over 13k miles on it. I noticed the engine was revving high (over 1500 rpm's) while in neutral and foot off the pedal. I put it in 1st, clutch all the way down and the revs went a little higher even before I stepped on the gas. After a few minutes, the dash said "Engine Power Reduced". I couldn't get the car above 80 mph. I have a Vitesse speed controller I thought was failing after having it for 3 years. I disconnected that but the issue is still there. I can't change the drive mode anymore. It's stuck in Tour. I used to have it in Sport.
Anybody else have this issue? Is it safe to drive it?
Taos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:56 PM   #2
Flowtie1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
I wish I could help.
Old 08-02-2020, 10:05 PM   #3
Booher

Drives: 2019 zl1 6 speed
Double check the connector at the pedal, and maybe disconnect the battery for 15 minutes to reset it.
Booher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:51 AM   #4
cmfhsu

Drives: 2019 2SS 1LE
Sounds like maybe an unmetered vacuum leak? Check your hoses.

Could also be a failing MAF/MAP sensor. Not sure if these engines are MAF or speed-density tuned. You can unplug the MAF sensor to check if it's that (you'll get a CEL) - not sure if you can do the same with a MAP sensor. You can always monitor it through the OBD port.

What's the error that your check engine light is producing?
cmfhsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 09:45 AM   #5
RyanR623

Drives: SS A8, NPP, Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taos View Post

I have 2016 2SS manual shift with just over 13k miles on it. I noticed the engine was revving high (over 1500 rpm's) while in neutral and foot off the pedal. I put it in 1st, clutch all the way down and the revs went a little higher even before I stepped on the gas. After a few minutes, the dash said "Engine Power Reduced". I couldn't get the car above 80 mph. I have a Vitesse speed controller I thought was failing after having it for 3 years. I disconnected that but the issue is still there. I can't change the drive mode anymore. It's stuck in Tour. I used to have it in Sport.
It's likely the Vitesse, it's a known issue. The code will stay unless you clear the code or do the battery reset.

If you want to keep the vitesse, you'll have to recalibrate it.
RyanR623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:34 PM   #6
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR623 View Post
It's likely the Vitesse, it's a known issue. The code will stay unless you clear the code or do the battery reset.

If you want to keep the vitesse, you'll have to recalibrate it.
I don't think so. When I had the Vitesse on my 5th gen, it occasionally go to limp mode. I would recalibrate it would be fine for awhile. But whenever I removed it, the car would go back to normal.

If it continues to malfunction after removing the Vitesse, then I would point to either the pedal sensor or the throttle body itself.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 12:16 AM   #7
Taos

Thanks everyone. I didn't have time to do the battery reset. I'll do that later today after work. If it is the Vitesse, then I'll never put that back on.
Old 08-04-2020, 06:00 AM   #8
dmcmahan60

Drives: 2017 SS
Quote:
Thanks everyone. I didn't have time to do the battery reset. I'll do that later today after work. If it is the Vitesse, then I'll never put that back on.
Sorry, but the Vitesse is know for causing issues. If must have a throttle controller try the Soler Performance one. Good luck with your car
dmcmahan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 06:00 AM   #9
Booher

Drives: 2019 zl1 6 speed
I agree, its most likely your vitesse.
Booher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 02:38 AM   #10
Taos

I did the battery reset and that worked. Everything is back to normal minus the speed controller. It was good for the 3 years I had it. I took it for a test run and it felt great feeling that power again. Thanks again for your suggestions. You saved me a trip to the dealership.
Old 08-05-2020, 07:58 AM   #11
AD17SS1LE

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:

It is definitely your vitesse, I had one for a short period of time and that happened several times to me. I took it out and never had the issue. They seem to give you more power but really it just changes mapping of throttle body opening. You can achieve the same result with a heavy right foot
Taylor plug wires
Mishimoto oil cooler
Elite X2 catch can
AD17SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 02:13 PM   #12
MATEOLT1SS

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS 10-speed
It's the controller, I took mine off and no issues since....
MATEOLT1SS is offline   Reply With Quote