Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-09-2018, 08:05 AM   #1
glopez5

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Adding sub and amp question

Just adding simple amp and sub trying to find easiest location to tap speakers.

Should I tap the rears? Or should I tap the fronts? Pros cons?

Any help would be much appreciated hoping to do it this weekend.

My setup will be 1x JL 10w3, 1x Alpine mono 500watt amp.
glopez5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:09 AM   #2
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
On my 1LE I tapped a line to each one of the front speakers, you can catch the front speaker wires in the footwell kick panels.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:34 AM   #3
glopez5

Thanks for the update, I'm hoping to do that tonight. Any issue with noises playing like door chiming? I think I read that some noise only play from front speakers
Old 08-10-2018, 11:16 AM   #4
miketan

Drives: 2018 HBM SS 1LE
I just put my setup back in after a dealership visit. I tapped the rears so I did not have to run the wires through the door and down the sides. So far they are perfect for what I want and I do not have any other audio coming out of the sub other than the music.

I also used the wireless charging fuse for the remote on/off. Let me know if you need more info, it was tricky to find the right bits since the 1LE's are different than the 1SS and 2SS non1LE's.
miketan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:49 PM   #5
glopez5

Thanks for help guys. Was finally able to wire everything up. Had to tap the purple wire on cigarette lighter for 12v, however if car isn't on it seems to turn off even if screen is on and radio is on. So need to find better location for remote.

I ended tapping rear speakers.

Rear passenger: white (+) blue/black (-)
Rear driver : green (+) green/black (-)

I hope that's correct. Did a few test but it was late and I didnt want to annoy neighbors so I'll test again tomorrow. Doesnt seem very loud. Will play more tomorrow.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:02 AM   #6
glopez5

Update- so I put everything back together and realized it was just user error. I was connected to bluetooth and realized when it connected to my car it lowered volume 50% hahaha. So today I tried it with 100% volume and boy was the bass loud.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:44 AM   #7
glopez5

Things I learned white trying to tap rear speakers and installing amp.

1. Removing panels makes it easier. I started with the rear middle panel located near the lock hatch. there are 4 plastic bolts holding it on. Then I removed the passenger side trunk panel to access battery area.

2. I then began removing the top portion of the back seat, there are plenty of youtube videos on how to do this it's super easy you just fold them and pull up from the rear and they come right out.

3. I then removed the rear lower seat. I tried all sorts of ways to try and pull them from the front but nothing gave. So I saw a post from someone saying to pull up from the back and the front would unclip. i pulled up w/ a little strength and heard a pop on each side and the rear lower was lose and i pulled it out w/ minor effort. There is nothing really holding the seat down other than the two clips on the front. I think I remember the 5th gen you had to hook the back. Nothing like that in the 6th gen.

4. Once the seats were removed I started with the passenger rear panel, I removed the two bolts behind the airbag cover plastic piece. (FYI, i didn't see any airbag shit behind it, not sure why they put that their.) it was really just a bunch of push clips behind it so you just have to try getting your hand in there and pulling and it just pulls right off. the panel appears to come off in three pieces 2 small top peices where seat belt goes through and 1 large section where the speaker sits. once It was lose I reached back and the unplugged the rear speaker and set the panel aside. I tapped into the rear passenger speaker white (+) blue/black (-) ran the wires to trunk and put the panel back together. I used wire taps similar to these i got off walmart for like $1.50 https://www.amazon.com/ScotchlokTM-E...ords=wire+taps

5. I moved to the rear driver side panel, did same thing from above tapped the two speaker wires green (+) green/black (-) , ran the wires to the trunk and put the panel back together.

6. I then connected positive and negative to cheap loc (line out converter) https://www.amazon.com/SCOSCHE-LOC2S...=loc+converter

7. Next I removed the plastic cover on the negative side of the battery and just removed that bolt and added my amp power wire to it and put the bolt back on. (not the small 10mm on top , but the one holding the huge red wire)

8. So ground wire, I chose to use the rear seat belt holder bolt on the body, it was a 19mm deep socket located in the middle where the seat belt hooks. i loosened it just enough to slide my ground under it and tightened it back up pretty tight, didn't need to sand paper or scratch paint.

9. Even though my loc had a supposed live remote built in, it didn't work for me. so I ended up tapping the cigarette lighter purple wire. To do this you need to remove 2 bolts located under the knee pad and 1 bolt on each side in the back with a circle cover. I think they were 10mm bolts. Once the bolts were removed the whole center console can be pulled up, i pulled it up just enough to tap the purple wire and put it back together.

10. i ran that remote wire up the middle under the carpet, it's super easy since it really only needs to hide for about 2 inches of carpet. While I was here, i ran the bass knob back to the front in the same location i ran the remote wire and pulled out the bass knob near my knee and used double side sticky tape to make it stay.

11. I plugged in the RCA's from loc to amp, plugged in power to amp, plugged in remote, plugged in ground. Then finally ran speaker +/- to sub box.

12. All done. tuck your wires and tie them together and hide them. put all the remaining panels back on. I chose to attach amp to rear back seat. So i can easily pull the sub out if needed.

hope this helps, it took me a few hours since, i couldn't find all the right info in 1 spot. So I hope this helps someone in the future. My only complaint is the remote wire it's live while car is on, but once the car turns off it shuts off the amp even tough headunit is on.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:50 AM   #8
glopez5

I'm super happy with the results, it looks clean and all the wires are nicely tucked away. Sorry I didn't take many pictures during install was too busy scratching my head and using my phone as a light since our cars don't have dome lights.
Old 08-11-2018, 01:56 PM   #9
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Thanks for the write up. These cars need a little help in the stereo department.
Old 09-02-2018, 11:57 PM   #10
SLO-GOAT219

Drives: 2004 GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by glopez5 View Post
I'm super happy with the results, it looks clean and all the wires are nicely tucked away. Sorry I didn't take many pictures during install was too busy scratching my head and using my phone as a light since our cars don't have dome lights.
Going through the same process now with my car. Figured since i did all this work pulling the rear panels off I might as well replace the junk oem speakers too.

I just ran my ground right to the battery, it's so close why not. Thats far more superior than a chassis ground. Also I'm hoping there will be a key on source of 12v in that trunk fuse box. I want to just plug an add a circuit into which ever one will work and have that trigger my amp.
SLO-GOAT219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 10:46 PM   #11
Norcalss1le

Drives: 2018 camaro ss 1le
Opening this old thread up, Just install mine following this. Very good thread to follow! Thank you very much!! Although i will say i feel like my system seems underpowered. I have about 2x the rms power on my sub, and 3x the rms on my amp compared to my last system, yet sounds around the same, with gains and adjustments made accordingly. Only thing i can think of is i wired up my sub that I’d a 2ohm dual coil as a 4ohm. But still don’t see how that would make it sounds as my last system that was half the power.

Last edited by Norcalss1le; 07-12-2020 at 12:03 PM.
Norcalss1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 07:46 PM   #12
Norcalss1le

Drives: 2018 camaro ss 1le
So i switch the sub from wiring it 4ohm to 1ohm i believe. Still sound underpowered and not even as loud as my last set up 500rms vs what this is suppose to be 1000rms
Norcalss1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 11:55 AM   #13
avirex560

Drives: 2023 camaro ss
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by glopez5 View Post
Things I learned white trying to tap rear speakers and installing amp.

1. Removing panels makes it easier. I started with the rear middle panel located near the lock hatch. there are 4 plastic bolts holding it on. Then I removed the passenger side trunk panel to access battery area.

2. I then began removing the top portion of the back seat, there are plenty of youtube videos on how to do this it's super easy you just fold them and pull up from the rear and they come right out.

3. I then removed the rear lower seat. I tried all sorts of ways to try and pull them from the front but nothing gave. So I saw a post from someone saying to pull up from the back and the front would unclip. i pulled up w/ a little strength and heard a pop on each side and the rear lower was lose and i pulled it out w/ minor effort. There is nothing really holding the seat down other than the two clips on the front. I think I remember the 5th gen you had to hook the back. Nothing like that in the 6th gen.

4. Once the seats were removed I started with the passenger rear panel, I removed the two bolts behind the airbag cover plastic piece. (FYI, i didn't see any airbag shit behind it, not sure why they put that their.) it was really just a bunch of push clips behind it so you just have to try getting your hand in there and pulling and it just pulls right off. the panel appears to come off in three pieces 2 small top peices where seat belt goes through and 1 large section where the speaker sits. once It was lose I reached back and the unplugged the rear speaker and set the panel aside. I tapped into the rear passenger speaker white (+) blue/black (-) ran the wires to trunk and put the panel back together. I used wire taps similar to these i got off walmart for like $1.50 https://www.amazon.com/ScotchlokTM-E...ords=wire+taps

5. I moved to the rear driver side panel, did same thing from above tapped the two speaker wires green (+) green/black (-) , ran the wires to the trunk and put the panel back together.

6. I then connected positive and negative to cheap loc (line out converter) https://www.amazon.com/SCOSCHE-LOC2S...=loc+converter

7. Next I removed the plastic cover on the negative side of the battery and just removed that bolt and added my amp power wire to it and put the bolt back on. (not the small 10mm on top , but the one holding the huge red wire)

8. So ground wire, I chose to use the rear seat belt holder bolt on the body, it was a 19mm deep socket located in the middle where the seat belt hooks. i loosened it just enough to slide my ground under it and tightened it back up pretty tight, didn't need to sand paper or scratch paint.

9. Even though my loc had a supposed live remote built in, it didn't work for me. so I ended up tapping the cigarette lighter purple wire. To do this you need to remove 2 bolts located under the knee pad and 1 bolt on each side in the back with a circle cover. I think they were 10mm bolts. Once the bolts were removed the whole center console can be pulled up, i pulled it up just enough to tap the purple wire and put it back together.

10. i ran that remote wire up the middle under the carpet, it's super easy since it really only needs to hide for about 2 inches of carpet. While I was here, i ran the bass knob back to the front in the same location i ran the remote wire and pulled out the bass knob near my knee and used double side sticky tape to make it stay.

11. I plugged in the RCA's from loc to amp, plugged in power to amp, plugged in remote, plugged in ground. Then finally ran speaker +/- to sub box.

12. All done. tuck your wires and tie them together and hide them. put all the remaining panels back on. I chose to attach amp to rear back seat. So i can easily pull the sub out if needed.

hope this helps, it took me a few hours since, i couldn't find all the right info in 1 spot. So I hope this helps someone in the future. My only complaint is the remote wire it's live while car is on, but once the car turns off it shuts off the amp even tough headunit is on.
avirex560 is offline   Reply With Quote