Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

AWE Tuning

Old 04-05-2023, 04:20 PM   #1
STYLO LT1

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS Vert.
Is my alternator charging the battery correctly?

I’m hoping someone out there with better knowledge can give me some insight. I have an Antigravity Batteries Battery Tracker device installed on my battery. It sends battery info to my cell phone which I find to be rather handy to have. So after taking my car out of hibernation this past week, I drove it around for about 12 miles and never saw the battery voltage needle in the cars dash go above 12.5 volts. I get home and the Battery Tracker app notifies me that my voltage is low at 50%. Am I missing something? I keep the car plugged in to a NOCO GENIUS 5 so I know the battery was @100% when I left. Not the first time I’ve noticed this. Noticed this last year before putting it away. When exactly does the cars alternator kick in to charge while driving? Below 50%? In the past I’ve seen the voltage needle up around 14.5 at times which lets me know it’s charging, but recently I don’t see this happening. Bad alternator? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
STYLO LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 12:27 AM   #2
STYLO LT1

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS Vert.
Bump
STYLO LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 05:57 AM   #3
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Free bump for you as I’m running the Antigravity battery as well. It went dead in the car with it sitting on the charger lol…. I sent the battery in for a test and they said it was totally fine, and blamed the issue on my charger being too smart (since the battery has its own on board processor I guess it can fight with a smart charger). I bought the charger they sell so I guess we’ll see.
Old 04-06-2023, 09:26 AM   #4
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
This being a lithium battery, I would follow the prescribed charging instructions:
https://antigravitybatteries.com/hel...rical-charging

The NOCO may have a lithium compatible mode, but I have not had good luck with my NOCO charging AGM's to full capacity. So I would check into how well they work with lithium ion.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 12:34 PM   #5
SSgtSS1LE

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
The Generator provides a PWM feedback signal of the Generator voltage output through the Generator field duty cycle signal circuit to the ECM. This information is sent to the Body Control Module (BCM). The Generator field duty cycle signal (Generator F-terminal) is a PWM signal of 60-460 Hz with a duty cycle of 0-100%. Normal duty cycle is between 5-100%. 0-5% is reserved for diagnostic purposes.

As the charging system works to maintain the battery charge and manage vehicle electrical loads, it is normal for the voltmeter gauge on the instrument cluster or the system voltage displayed in the DIC to fluctuate or change. This does not indicate a malfunction. Depending on the battery state of charge and the vehicle electrical load, these values may be anywhere from 12.5 volts to 15.5 volts.  

Charging System Modes

1. Battery Sulfation Mode
  • Generator Voltage less than 13.2 Volts for 45 minutes.
  • BCM will enter Charge Mode for 2-3 minutes.
  • BCM will then determine which mode to enter depending of voltage requirements.
2. Charge Mode
  • Windshield wipers ON for more than 3 seconds.
  • Climate Control Voltage Boost Mode Request is true, as sensed by the HVAC control module via serial data.
    High speed cooling fan, rear defogger, and HVAC high speed blower operation can cause the BCM to enter Charge Mode.
  • The estimated battery temperature is less than 32°F (0 °C).
  • Battery state of charge is less than 80%.
  • Vehicle speed is greater than 90 mph (145 km/h).
  • A current sensor malfunction exists.
  • System voltage is determined to be below 12.56 Volts.
When any one of these conditions is met, the system will set targeted generator output voltage to a charging voltage between 13.9-15.5 Volts, depending on the battery state of charge and estimated battery temperature.

3. Fuel Economy Mode
  • Estimated battery temperature is at least 32°F (0 °C), but less than or equal to 176°F (80°C).
  • Calculated battery current is less than 15 Amps and greater than -8 Amps.
  • Battery state of charge is greater than or equal to 80%.
The BCM sets the targeted generator output voltage to the open circuit voltage of the battery and can be between 12.5-13.1 Volts. When Fuel Economy Mode is active, the generator is not charging, only maintaining open circuit battery voltage. The BCM will exit this mode and enter Charge Mode when any of the conditions described above are not present.

4. Headlamp Mode
  • Headlamps are ON (high or low beams).
Voltage will be regulated between 13.9-14.5 Volts.

5. Start Up Mode
  • BCM sets a targeted generator output voltage of 14.5 Volts for 30 seconds.

Last edited by SSgtSS1LE; 04-09-2023 at 09:23 PM.
SSgtSS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 07:47 PM   #6
BlueinTN

Drives: gas powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by STYLO LT1 View Post
I’m hoping someone out there with better knowledge can give me some insight. I have an Antigravity Batteries Battery Tracker device installed on my battery. It sends battery info to my cell phone which I find to be rather handy to have. So after taking my car out of hibernation this past week, I drove it around for about 12 miles and never saw the battery voltage needle in the cars dash go above 12.5 volts. I get home and the Battery Tracker app notifies me that my voltage is low at 50%. Am I missing something? I keep the car plugged in to a NOCO GENIUS 5 so I know the battery was @100% when I left. Not the first time I’ve noticed this. Noticed this last year before putting it away. When exactly does the cars alternator kick in to charge while driving? Below 50%? In the past I’ve seen the voltage needle up around 14.5 at times which lets me know it’s charging, but recently I don’t see this happening. Bad alternator? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

As written above the charging circuit is looking for about 80% charge which on a lead acid batter is 12.5 VDC.

Since you take short trips and I do to, I run my headlights for a while to force the charging system to higher.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!
BlueinTN is offline   Reply With Quote