Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 07-15-2018, 06:06 PM   #43
Markoz28

Drives: 18 ZL1 nightfall grey A10
My statement concerning 91 or 93 is just why not use the better. You can use 91 on a stock car all out and I’m sure nothing will happen to the engine. I am concerned the car pulling timing if ever running it hard over and over again so want the most protection possible. You may not feel a difference of the timing being pulled on a 650hp car but why not help it along. For those who feel 91 is best by all means go for it. As for me, once I do some real mods I’ll be adding e85 for added protection and a little more oooomph. Funny how e85 increases the octane and magically it makes more power. Hm no way on earth it has to do with the increase in octane.
Markoz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 06:22 PM   #44
Larrio Andretti

Drives: Really Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markoz28 View Post
My statement concerning 91 or 93 is just why not use the better. You can use 91 on a stock car all out and I’m sure nothing will happen to the engine. I am concerned the car pulling timing if ever running it hard over and over again so want the most protection possible. You may not feel a difference of the timing being pulled on a 650hp car but why not help it along. For those who feel 91 is best by all means go for it. As for me, once I do some real mods I’ll be adding e85 for added protection and a little more oooomph. Funny how e85 increases the octane and magically it makes more power. Hm no way on earth it has to do with the increase in octane.
Because it’s not better. It’s only your perception of it being better that makes it better and in reality that doesn’t make it bettter at all.

E85 doesn’t make more power magically. There’s no magic involved at all. It’s actually science. IF YOU CAN TUNE for higher octane it will make more power.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:26 PM   #45
ZL1 1LE
@zle_blackwing

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrio Andretti View Post
Because it’s not better. It’s only your perception of it being better that makes it better and in reality that doesn’t make it bettter at all.

E85 doesn’t make more power magically. There’s no magic involved at all. It’s actually science. IF YOU CAN TUNE for higher octane it will make more power.
And our cars are tuned from the factory for 93 and will detune accordingly for 91.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:28 PM   #46
Markoz28

Drives: 18 ZL1 nightfall grey A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1 1LE View Post
And our cars are tuned from the factory for 93 and will detune accordingly for 91.
He speaks the truth!
Markoz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 06:32 PM   #47
Larrio Andretti

Drives: Really Fast
Quote:
If you look at the minimumoctane requirements it’s 91 r+m/2. They tell you to use 93 in the hp manual for hp driving. The additional heat in theory could cause knock causing the ecu to retard timing. The car is tuned for 91. I’ve probably run 30-40 runs on our mustang dyno with a knock amp and mapped ZERO knock on 91 octane. Your not going to lose performance if the ecu isn’t pulling timing. So it’s speculative.

Last edited by Larrio Andretti; 07-15-2018 at 06:50 PM.
Larrio Andretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:28 PM   #48
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaayy View Post
I don’t think anyone disagrees that performance will suffer. But spirited driving with 91 will not blow up your engine. That’s ridiculous and that’s all I was saying.
You'd be surprised. Like I said, I speak from what I know and from what I've experienced or seen happen to others. Take it for what it is. I err on the side of caution. And that is the advice I give to others. I tell them what I would do if it were my car. I've seen over the years that when I've given advice like I do, people are quick to challenge me and call me out. Yet I've seen some of those very same people end up with blown engines, blown trans, etc. So I will say again, if 91 is all that is available then use it cautiously. Try to find something to mix in to bring the octane up. Otherwise, if you have access to higher octane then do not use 91.
Quote:
There are a serious amount of “experts” here who have a firm grasp of nothing. The extent of knowledge extends as far as the last forum post they read. Not worth my time responding. But keep posting that expert testimony as it’s a fun read. A word to those who have questions regarding octane please find a reputable source on the internet and read. Don’t expect to come to a forum and listen to people’s opinions based on nothing and think you are getting the facts because your getting fed BS.
What are you, 15? You sound like an immature child. I'll ask again, what do you drive?
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaayy View Post
I haven’t seen a stock ZL1 run lean from the factory. They usually run rich to error on the side of caution. What does leaning out have to do with octane?
They are tuned from GM to run on the richer side. However those tunes from the factory can vary. Different climates, humidity, driving style, etc can have an impact. One car in one part of the country with one style of driving might be fine...and that is certainly how GM builds these cars. But somewhere else a person could have devastating effects from using 91 octane. Which is why I said earlier that in different places it might be different than it is here in NJ. It certainly isn't worth the risk. If you're within the warranty period then do what you want. But once that warranty is up I bet all the people here talking about how spectacular 91 octane is will switch up and start using higher octane blends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Man View Post
I live in California, and we have 91 octane.

Thankfully, we also have a handful of stations that sell Sunoco 100 unleaded, or VP 100 unleaded, albeit at $8+/gallon.

I have learned that since the fine print on the pump label says MINIMUM octane rating, and since there could be legal repercussions if a station was found to be selling a product that did not meet the mimimum, a lot of refiners actually blend their premiums closer to 92 than 91. Some insist on it spec'ing out at 92 at the truck rack. That way, if a truck driver loads premium on top of a tank that had some small amount of 87 remaining, the end product will still test out well over 91 octane.

So I will usually buy 2-2.5 gallons of 100 octane and fill the tank the rest of the way with 91. I did this with my '16 2SS as well, but the ZL1 seems MUCH more sensitive to the difference between 91 and 93 than the SS did.
While that is true there have also been incidents of gas stations having octane readings much less than what is advertised. Recently here in NJ a gas station was found to have less octane and some people had engine failures. A few years ago a few stations out here had a high content of water in their gas. This is not uncommon. Which is why it is best in my opinion to use something higher than 91. That is the minimum required. Which means that there is no wiggle room at all. It is not worth the risk.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:34 PM   #49
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:

Quote:
If you look at the minimumoctane requirements it’s 91 r+m/2. They tell you to use 93 in the hp manual for hp driving. The additional heat in theory could cause knock causing the ecu to retard timing. The car is tuned for 91. I’ve probably run 30-40 runs on our mustang dyno with a knock amp and mapped ZERO knock on 91 octane. Your not going to lose performance if the ecu isn’t pulling timing. So it’s speculative.
You're either trolling hard, trying to act oblivious, or you are completely oblivious to what everyone is trying to explain to you. Either way trying to get thru to people like yourself is exhausting. From a performance perspective, 93 octane is "better" than 91 octane. Now if you wanna challenge that then come out to NJ in the dead of Summer in 90+ degree temps with 100% humidity and flog your car at the track like I do. And throw that garbage 91 octane in your car, whatever car it is that you have. And when your car starts choking and driving all fcked up then you tell me which one is "better". Until then sit yourself down little boy.

And guess what pal. Z06s were built with minimum octane requirements of 91 octane as well. And what happened when they were ran on the track? Many of them had problems with limp mode. What was GM's answer? Oh right, a tune for higher octane gas and the recommendation to use higher octane gas in those conditions. WHich should be enough to tell the stupidest person that these cars are well beyond the limits of 91 octane when pushed.

I can't believe this dude is advocating for 91 octane in a (relatively) high compression (for forced induction) supercharged high performance vehicle. I hear dumb shit all day. But this is about the stupidest nonsense I ever had to debate someone on.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:40 PM   #50
kttxz06

Drives: '18 Zl1. '18 GT350.
Haha, I'm going to call Matt tomorrow who is presently building my car to 1200 hp. I'm going to say, hey, when we start dyno tuning, put some fkn 89 octane in it. I'm sure he's going to say........oh, no problem. Your car will run just fine on 89. smh. Even if I told him to put 91 in it, he'd say, take your car somewhere else man. You want to blow your shit up?
Old 07-15-2018, 08:43 PM   #51
kttxz06

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
You're either trolling hard, trying to act oblivious, or you are completely oblivious to what everyone is trying to explain to you. Either way trying to get thru to people like yourself is exhausting. From a performance perspective, 93 octane is "better" than 91 octane. Now if you wanna challenge that then come out to NJ in the dead of Summer in 90+ degree temps with 100% humidity and flog your car at the track like I do. And throw that garbage 91 octane in your car, whatever car it is that you have. And when your car starts choking and driving all fcked up then you tell me which one is "better". Until then sit yourself down little boy.

And guess what pal. Z06s were built with minimum octane requirements of 91 octane as well. And what happened when they were ran on the track? Many of them had problems with limp mode. What was GM's answer? Oh right, a tune for higher octane gas and the recommendation to use higher octane gas in those conditions. WHich should be enough to tell the stupidest person that these cars are well beyond the limits of 91 octane when pushed.

I can't believe this dude is advocating for 91 octane in a (relatively) high compression (for forced induction) supercharged high performance vehicle. I hear dumb shit all day. But this is about the stupidest nonsense I ever had to debate someone on.

He's thePill's offspring. Just block em and move on. haha. I busted out laughing when he told me 89 octane isn't an issue. They love trolling us around here. Dude, must be coming over from the Toyota Camry forums or something.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:05 PM   #52
ZL1 1LE
@zle_blackwing

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
The rated 650 / 650 is on 93. Your not making 650 / 650 on 91. I’ve never seen anyone champion the use of the minimum octane like you. Especially, when there is a higher octane readily available.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:06 PM   #53
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttxz06 View Post
He's thePill's offspring. Just block em and move on. haha. I busted out laughing when he told me 89 octane isn't an issue. They love trolling us around here. Dude, must be coming over from the Toyota Camry forums or something.
LOL!! I seriously can't believe some of the stuff I read on here sometimes. We really do get the worst trolls. And then he has the nerve to call you out for having a top builder work your car. LOL! At least we all know you've got a 1200 RWHP monster getting built!
Old 07-15-2018, 10:15 PM   #54
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
Quote:
I’ve never seen anyone champion the use of the minimum octane like you. Especially, when there is a higher octane readily available.
Maybe the dumbest mountain I've seen anyone willing to die climbing...beginning to wonder if wall street is selling stock on the various octane levels??
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:16 PM   #55
kttxz06

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
LOL!! I seriously can't believe some of the stuff I read on here sometimes. We really do get the worst trolls. And then he has the nerve to call you out for having a top builder work your car. LOL! At least we all know you've got a 1200 RWHP monster getting built!

Well, on my Z06, I had LMR build it. haha. Steve called me personally and said, have you by chance ran a lower octane fuel? I said yea, I ran 89 a while back. He said, k, now we know.

He had my car for 2 weeks trying to find the cause of why my cats blew out and couldn't find anything then he said he literally thought of bad gas out of the blue cus he figured not even my dumb ass would ever put 89 oct in a 800 hp Z06. haha.

I'm not putting anything less than 96-100 octane once my Zl1 is done. I'll run 93, but I'm going to run 1 to 2 cans of Torco every week. And when I know I'm gonna go bang the streets, I'm running straight race gas so. I know better now. Esp at these hp numbers. Maybe I should put 89 in there just to see how long the motor will last. haha. I bet you it pulls timing, throws every damn code in the book on, and all the CEL lights start flashing.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:30 PM   #56
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttxz06 View Post
Well, on my Z06, I had LMR build it. haha. Steve called me personally and said, have you by chance ran a lower octane fuel? I said yea, I ran 89 a while back. He said, k, now we know.

He had my car for 2 weeks trying to find the cause of why my cats blew out and couldn't find anything then he said he literally thought of bad gas out of the blue cus he figured not even my dumb ass would ever put 89 oct in a 800 hp Z06. haha.

I'm not putting anything less than 96-100 octane once my Zl1 is done. I'll run 93, but I'm going to run 1 to 2 cans of Torco every week. And when I know I'm gonna go bang the streets, I'm running straight race gas so. I know better now. Esp at these hp numbers. Maybe I should put 89 in there just to see how long the motor will last. haha. I bet you it pulls timing, throws every damn code in the book on, and all the CEL lights start flashing.
You put 89 octane in your ZL1? Ok, give me your keys, your license is revoked, you are banned from this forum, and you'll have to spend the rest of your days on M6G, LOL!! How could you?? Haha!!