Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 02-18-2020, 02:17 PM   #29
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Old wives' tales aside, there is merit in upgrading to a new model after 3 years. This is assuming a new car comes with 15-25% discount (as all my vehicles did) which is just a matter of proper market timing.

My 2017 SS 1LE has cost me $12k over 3 years (not counting track consumables) based on its purchase price less current trade in. Not sure what exactly i could possibly lease for $4k per year all in, but pretty sure it would be an econo $hit box. I like 3yr change overs because of full bumper to bumper warranty, zero unscheduled maintenance/repair costs and good trade in value (yep, i have a spreadsheet for it )

Looking at a 2020 SS 1LE the future cost (discounted price less trade in) is very similar to my first purchase, even for a factory order. Ive been thinking of a ZL1 as well, but it is easily an extra $25k plus more $ for track budget.

And do i really "need" more power? Sure!!! Well, not really! This car in its stock form already spanks some seriously uber cars if one is capable of driving it close to its limit. My love for this car hasn't waned one little bit after 3 busy seasons...

Not a dig at the big brothers with blowers and even fancy DSSV dampers, but driver skill still matters the most - in most situations. Also, no matter what ya bring and how much you spend...somebody will always be faster. And sometimes not because of power, but because of rubber.
At a race track anyway. NB I have less than zero respect for anyone who "races" on public roads.

Anyhow, congrats to the OP on the ZL1! I am sure you'll love it! Also need to say i agree with JROC's comments, especially in the other thread. Words of wisdom.
Cheers!

PS fyi my numbers are in CAD not USD and a cash vs financed purchase.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 02:58 PM   #30
zx9rmal

Drives: '20 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Old wives' tales aside, there is merit in upgrading to a new model after 3 years. This is assuming a new car comes with 15-25% discount (as all my vehicles did) which is just a matter of proper market timing.

My 2017 SS 1LE has cost me $12k over 3 years (not counting track consumables) based on its purchase price less current trade in. Not sure what exactly i could possibly lease for $4k per year all in, but pretty sure it would be an econo $hit box. I like 3yr change overs because of full bumper to bumper warranty, zero unscheduled maintenance/repair costs and good trade in value (yep, i have a spreadsheet for it )

Looking at a 2020 SS 1LE the future cost (discounted price less trade in) is very similar to my first purchase, even for a factory order. Ive been thinking of a ZL1 as well, but it is easily an extra $25k plus more $ for track budget.

And do i really "need" more power? Sure!!! Well, not really! This car in its stock form already spanks some seriously uber cars if one is capable of driving it close to its limit. My love for this car hasn't waned one little bit after 3 busy seasons...

Not a dig at the big brothers with blowers and even fancy DSSV dampers, but driver skill still matters the most - in most situations. Also, no matter what ya bring and how much you spend...somebody will always be faster. And sometimes not because of power, but because of rubber.
At a race track anyway. NB I have less than zero respect for anyone who "races" on public roads.

Anyhow, congrats to the OP on the ZL1! I am sure you'll love it! Also need to say i agree with JROC's comments, especially in the other thread. Words of wisdom.
Cheers!

PS fyi my numbers are in CAD not USD and a cash vs financed purchase.
I can appreciate your comments. In my case, I do not track the car, and I certainly do not race on the street, so the things you mentioned don't apply here.

You are certainly more patient and disciplined than I am. I can be a bit compulsive. I saw the car. It was gorgeous, I wanted it, and I was satisfied with the deal, from what I've seen being offered down here. I may be wrong, but I don't think you'll find a 2020 ZL1 for 15% off(no less 25%) in this area. That would be $54,000.

Do I need more power? No. I just wanted the car. And it IS something.
'22 Kawasaki ZX-14R
zx9rmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 05:13 PM   #31
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx9rmal View Post
I can appreciate your comments. In my case, I do not track the car, and I certainly do not race on the street, so the things you mentioned don't apply here.

You are certainly more patient and disciplined than I am. I can be a bit compulsive. I saw the car. It was gorgeous, I wanted it, and I was satisfied with the deal, from what I've seen being offered down here. I may be wrong, but I don't think you'll find a 2020 ZL1 for 15% off(no less 25%) in this area. That would be $54,000.

Do I need more power? No. I just wanted the car. And it IS something.
Agree completely! No discounts on ZL1 here either, unlike SS 1LE. Hence the large price difference, which i had to consider, as my track budget is rather sizable and that's $ out the door year after year.

I too have purchased many cars on a whim over the years...and did think long and hard about an upgrade.

But the SS 1LEs is pretty much perfect for my purpose: mostly a track car, that also allows me to enjoy it as a light DD. A light heavyweight, priced as a middleweight, capable of duking it out with heavyweights. A perfect combo

Ive only posted my thoughts to express that going for the same new car is not at all a waste of some sort. Ive been doing it with our main DDs for decades and it has served us very well indeed. Not that i would expect it to be a norm, but one of my trades (Sierra SLT) cost me zero over 2 yrs as i got the same trade in value as the price i paid for it (due to discounts).

Anyhow, i am sure you will love your ZL1 (who wouldn't?!) and the car looks absolutely gorgeous. Big congrats!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 09:37 PM   #32
closs2sx

Drives: 1970 chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JROC View Post
Try something older, more raw, and less refined like a 600 WHP Foxbody, or C5Z, large single turbo MKIV Supra, FD RX7 with a built LSx, etc. If something like a H/C/I/exhaust/tune C6Z feels slow to you then I don't know what to tell you. Maybe a 1,500 WHP GTR would feel fast to you? Even my stock SS doesn't feel slow to me. It's certainly not a make you butt pucker kind of fast, but it's plenty strong for a DD. I do wish it had a little more top-end power. Maybe one day I'll do a H/C/I/bolton build with it, and IMO if this car had 500+ N/A WHP it would be about perfect for me. You're ZL1 1LE might feel like a nicely modded EVO VIII/IX with a lot more lowend torque.
Got a 1970 chevelle cant get much older or more raw than that but I don't drive it anymore because it just doesn't do anything for me. I actually might have it sold. Don't get me wrong it was fun when I didn't have a taste of my z06. I like the car to be very fast, corner hard and stop on a dime. Still love all cars but some I just like to look at.
Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic
Dads Car
2013 ZL1 vin 963
Crystal Red Tint Coat/Black Wheels
Exposed Carbon Fiber Insert
6 Spd Manual
closs2sx is offline   Reply With Quote