Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-16-2020, 10:28 PM   #29
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
I dont think aero will make up for 110hp deficit.. 200 lbs lighter HELPS though.. but once traction is not factor, hp wins.. esp when rate of change of speed is slower.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:32 PM   #30
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtor_ZL1 View Post
I dont think aero will make up for 110hp deficit.. 200 lbs lighter HELPS though.. but once traction is not factor, hp wins.. esp when rate of change of speed is slower.
Absolutely! These tests will come down to whether or not the track gives the 500 room to make up in the straights what it looses in the curves. Will win some, and lose some.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:30 AM   #31
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
I'm wondering how much the 1LE Aero had an effect on being 4 seconds slower to 150. How much closer would the ZL1 have been?...
That's the HP advantage and the DCT. Once it is up and going, it pretty much stays in the sweet spot of it's power band.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
After this test, I think the ZL1 will shine even more against the base 500 than the ZLE compared to the CFTP.
I actually think it might go the other way around....I don't know why I just do for some reason lol Maybe bc I think a good portion of this test in particular came down to value, and the CFTP being 19K more was the nail in the coffin being that it just wasn't worth the extra bucks. With the prices of the base cars being much closer(gt500 still more $) I think it has a better shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
They might be forthcoming, the pictures looked to be at willow springs. Maybe they're milking the tests for multiple articles.
Probably
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 09:36 AM   #32
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I think they're just milking this comparison out. I'm sure we'll see another article on track times and such.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 09:37 AM   #33
ST1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I actually think it might go the other way around....I don't know why I just do for some reason lol Maybe bc I think a good portion of this test in particular came down to value, and the CFTP being 19K more was the nail in the coffin being that it just wasn't worth the extra bucks. With the prices of the base cars being much closer(gt500 still more $) I think it has a better shot
What I meant was from a performance perspective on track, I think you mean a shot at winning the magazine 'win' and I dont think every mag will even give the nod to the ZLE as some will ignore price, cowboy science, blah blah.

I think(just an opinion of course), that we will see a larger gap in performance between the CFTP and the Base than we see between the ZLE and the ZL1, so based on that thought I think the ZL1 will shine on track quite a bit compared to the base 500. Isn't the respective weight gain between the base versions and track version of each car worse for the 500? I need to look up the weights of all 4 when I get a chance, may not be.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:00 AM   #34
shaffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
What I meant was from a performance perspective on track, I think you mean a shot at winning the magazine 'win' and I dont think every mag will even give the nod to the ZLE as some will ignore price, cowboy science, blah blah.

I think(just an opinion of course), that we will see a larger gap in performance between the CFTP and the Base than we see between the ZLE and the ZL1, so based on that thought I think the ZL1 will shine on track quite a bit compared to the base 500. Isn't the respective weight gain between the base versions and track version of each car worse for the 500? I need to look up the weights of all 4 when I get a chance, may not be.
I have some weird feeling that the base is going to be better than alot of people around here want to give it credit for. I think it will be much like last gen, that it will post better times but Camaro will be more planted. From the single reviews, it does seem like the base GT500 handles well, it's not like it's a matchbox car and the CFTP makes all those things go away.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
Old 01-17-2020, 10:11 AM   #35
13vertss

Drives: 2013 Camaro convertible 2SS/RS
Quote:
That's the HP advantage and the DCT. Once it is up and going, it pretty much stays in the sweet spot of it's power band.

Probably
Base will still be about $16,000 to &18,000 more when tested. The zl1 is fully loaded stock, and most test cars for the gt500 will most likely have the handling package, entertainment package and Recaro seats. So it will still be near $80,000
13vertss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 11:23 AM   #36
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:

Probably
I don't think the 7 speed dct does a particularly amazing job of keeping the revs up high like the a10 does for the GT. The gt500 has a much broader power band that doesn't necessarily need that with the low end torque the supercharger provides on top of having plenty of top end.

On top of that by then end of 1/4 the gt500 is in 4th gear, it's shift points are more similar to a manual car than these new high gear autos. 5th is the last true performance gear and 6th, and 7th are basically both overdrives iirc.

I think the dct advantage in straight line performance is in its shift speeds, firmness, and efficiency with far less power loss compared to a torque converter car.

That coupled with the 110 hp advantage, more than 110 hp when talking about what actually makes it to the wheels, is why the gt500 pulls away imo.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 11:34 AM   #37
shaffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13vertss View Post
Base will still be about $16,000 to &18,000 more when tested. The zl1 is fully loaded stock, and most test cars for the gt500 will most likely have the handling package, entertainment package and Recaro seats. So it will still be near $80,000
More like 13-14K more expensive but yes more expensive.

this will sound nitpicky but I assume the ZL1 has something like blind spot monitoring standard right? which is why you need the electronics package on the GT500, but on Ford when you add that you get the premium audio upgrade and nav. nav is still optional on the ZL1 and there is no premium audio option

But your point still stands the GT500 will be more expensive no matter what
Old 01-17-2020, 12:28 PM   #38
Realist

Drives: No Camaro :(
Quote:
More like 13-14K more expensive but yes more expensive.

this will sound nitpicky but I assume the ZL1 has something like blind spot monitoring standard right? which is why you need the electronics package on the GT500, but on Ford when you add that you get the premium audio upgrade and nav. nav is still optional on the ZL1 and there is no premium audio option

But your point still stands the GT500 will be more expensive no matter what
I don’t want this to sound nitpicky but I believe you maybe comparing MSRP $’s. A loaded base ZL1 is going out the door at low $60’s. I think the base GT500 are going for what $90k right now? Think Speed Phenom on YouTube paid $95k, so that works out to a $30k difference.
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 12:54 PM   #39
shaffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realist View Post
I don’t want this to sound nitpicky but I believe you maybe comparing MSRP $’s. A loaded base ZL1 is going out the door at low $60’s. I think the base GT500 are going for what $90k right now? Think Speed Phenom on YouTube paid $95k, so that works out to a $30k difference.
Yes going by MSRP. Since we are talking about magazine testing that is the way they will compare them as well. When just comparing features and what not MSRP is the only way to go IMO.

To many variables for out the door price. MSRP in the context of this kind of discussion is only way to go.
Old 01-17-2020, 12:58 PM   #40
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
I think they're just milking this comparison out. I'm sure we'll see another article on track times and such.
Exactly... and this one will be a sloooowww milk.
Old 01-17-2020, 01:00 PM   #41
ST1LE

Quote:
I have some weird feeling that the base is going to be better than alot of people around here want to give it credit for. I think it will be much like last gen, that it will post better times but Camaro will be more planted. From the single reviews, it does seem like the base GT500 handles well, it's not like it's a matchbox car and the CFTP makes all those things go away.
You may be right, and I may have to eat crow LOL.

In the article they mentioned the ZL1 being much easier to drive fast and the 500 feeling like it could bite you at any minute. I can only imagine the 500's suspension is much more planted and confidence inspiring than the base, this plus the fact the power levels are the same, leads me to believe the base will be too much of a handful to keep up with a ZL1. Maybe the price of the CFTP also makes me expect a bigger gap, since the 1LE package is only $6500 I think? Maybe $7500? Stands to reason(for me), that you get double the improvement when paying almost triple the cost for the respective track packages.

Who knows, but the speculation is part of the fun. Can't wait to see the real track results and reviews.
Old 01-17-2020, 01:20 PM   #42
joe944

Drives: 18' A10 ZL1 , 18' F150, 04' MSM
Personally I think the ZLE vs CFTP is going to be closer than the base models, with the GT500 most likely outpacing the ZL1 on most tracks.

The 1LE gives you a far more track focused package than the CFTP does, which should give it more of an edge over the base car than the CFTP package does.

This is the result I think most of us were expecting, considering the time they've had to benchmark the ZL1.

Give us the rest of the comparisons already!
joe944 is offline   Reply With Quote