Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 05-09-2018, 02:32 PM   #15
Atomic Ed

Drives: 2001 Audi TT, 2016 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_RORO View Post
I understand. But you may be underestimating the stock drivetrain. I am on stock trans, driveshaft, diff, and axles with quite a bit more power. Now the pistons and rods may be a problem so I beefed those up some. And honestly headers are one of the things that may/will add power but will be more of a help than a hindrance. Getting those exhaust gasses out will defiantly help. Are you logging DYNCYL?
Appreciate the feedback on the drivetrain. Looks like you definitely put more strain on your setup than I do.

So what is your interest in logging DYNCYL? Do you have something specific you're trying to see with this log?
Atomic Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:59 PM   #16
Turbo_RORO

Drives: Camaro 17 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Ed View Post
Appreciate the feedback on the drivetrain. Looks like you definitely put more strain on your setup than I do.

So what is your interest in logging DYNCYL? Do you have something specific you're trying to see with this log?
I log a lot of things. But I'm interested in the changes that I've made to my motor. Especially when adding boost.
Turbo_RORO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 01:58 PM   #17
Atomic Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
Nice Work, What is your High pressure looking like and what is your injector pulse width high point?

Can you post a log?

Ted.
Good insight Ted

Inj. pulse width peaks at 7.0 ms @3500 rpms and decays down to 6.2 ms at the end of the run. Fuel rail pressure is 1500 psi and tapers up to 1900 psi at the end of the run. LPFP maintains at about 70 psi.

Here's the log. If you want the HPL log, I can send it to you.

Old 05-11-2018, 02:04 PM   #18
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Good insight Ted

Inj. pulse width peaks at 7.0 ms @3500 rpms and decays down to 6.2 ms at the end of the run. Fuel rail pressure is 1500 psi and tapers up to 1900 psi at the end of the run. LPFP maintains at about 70 psi.

Here's the log. If you want the HPL log, I can send it to you.

Sir you are definitely in the danger zone, High pressure needs to maintain 2000 and you should not be exceeding 6 milliseconds.

What is your AFR should be lambda .82 or 12.0
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 02:50 PM   #19
Atomic Ed

Thanks Ted, I'll take your comments to heart. I just felt like I was running out of fuel, but couldn't pin it down.

The HPFP is following the HP base desired pressure table pretty closely, so I'll up that somewhat to get the HPFP to ramp up a little quicker and higher, if there is any room left mechanically.

Why is an injector pulse width time, such as this 7 ms, such a problem? Would some reduction of the SOI base table from a high of 386 to 360ish help any?

I'm surprised that I didn't log the AFRs. ER goes from 1.0 to.82 at tip in.
Old 05-11-2018, 03:11 PM   #20
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Thanks Ted, I'll take your comments to heart. I just felt like I was running out of fuel, but couldn't pin it down.

The HPFP is following the HP base desired pressure table pretty closely, so I'll up that somewhat to get the HPFP to ramp up a little quicker and higher, if there is any room left mechanically.

Why is an injector pulse width time, such as this 7 ms, such a problem? Would some reduction of the SOI base table from a high of 386 to 360ish help any?

I'm surprised that I didn't log the AFRs. ER goes from 1.0 to.82 at tip in.
You can not force the HP Pump to move any more fuel your done, out of fuel supply.

I higher flowing pump will reduce the inj MS.

Ted.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:24 PM   #21
Atomic Ed

Thanks Ted for all of your effort on this. I don't think we appreciate how much time you put into this forum to educate us.

But I'm still curious of the why on the limitations on injector pulse width.
Old 05-15-2018, 04:51 PM   #22
Dakamaro

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS w/White Rallye
Thumbs up

Just had to share that I enjoy reading this info. Thanks
Dakamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:39 PM   #23
Atomic Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakamaro View Post
Just had to share that I enjoy reading this info. Thanks
Thank you!

I'll have some more information on the fueling soon. Just need to verify on the dyno.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:30 AM   #24
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Thanks Ted for all of your effort on this. I don't think we appreciate how much time you put into this forum to educate us.

But I'm still curious of the why on the limitations on injector pulse width.
You are quite welcome my friend.

6 milliseconds is the injection window for complete combustion.

When you get past that a lot of nasty things start to happen.

Ted.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:25 AM   #25
Atomic Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
You are quite welcome my friend.

6 milliseconds is the injection window for complete combustion.

When you get past that a lot of nasty things start to happen.

Ted.
You've been a big help.

Your comments gave me the inspiration to spend some time last weekend investigating what's going on. I played around with the fuel pressure settings of both pumps. I did about eight full pulls with slowly upping fuel pressures of one pump, then the other.

Surprisingly, I was able to get below 6 ms throughout the entire pull by pushing the LPFP to 62 psi desired normal pressure. And by rebuilding the max desired pressure table for the HPFP to a max of 17 kpa, the pump pressure never went below 1980 psi and ramped up 2400 psi on the top end, which seems to be the mechanical limit of the pump. Looks like the fuel rails are staying full and pressurized.

Very interesting results! I have some dyno time scheduled next Friday and the tuners will put the car on the dyno and confirm my results and ideas before I declare victory.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:53 AM   #26
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
You've been a big help.

Your comments gave me the inspiration to spend some time last weekend investigating what's going on. I played around with the fuel pressure settings of both pumps. I did about eight full pulls with slowly upping fuel pressures of one pump, then the other.

Surprisingly, I was able to get below 6 ms throughout the entire pull by pushing the LPFP to 62 psi desired normal pressure. And by rebuilding the max desired pressure table for the HPFP to a max of 17 kpa, the pump pressure never went below 1980 psi and ramped up 2400 psi on the top end, which seems to be the mechanical limit of the pump. Looks like the fuel rails are staying full and pressurized.

Very interesting results! I have some dyno time scheduled next Friday and the tuners will put the car on the dyno and confirm my results and ideas before I declare victory.
Was all this with exactly the same Lambda readings at WOT?
Old 05-16-2018, 09:38 AM   #27
Atomic Ed

I need to confirm actual AFR vs. commanded on the dyno next week. One of the main reasons for going back.

I will tell you that Edelbrock's SOI base table is very different than the stock table. Edelbrock extends out to 389 verses 335 for the stock table.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:56 AM   #28
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
I need to confirm actual AFR vs. commanded on the dyno next week. One of the main reasons for going back.

I will tell you that Edelbrock's SOI base table is very different than the stock table. Edelbrock extends out to 389 verses 335 for the stock table.
With a wide band you should be able to log that on the street.

Tail pipe sensors are in accurate and there is a time delay so don't rely on them.

Put a AEM X series wide band O2 sensor in your head pipe before the cat.