Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-02-2018, 10:37 PM   #43
Scargoes

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
They do work loose.

I DD, Track and AutoX my car.

Half the time I TQ them before AutoX, they are less than 140ft/lbs.
Yes, that's why when doing testing we measure and record all torque values, instillation torque and residual torque (some engineers wanted Torque to Tighten and some wanted Torque to Loosen but we always used an ST wrench). It's very time consuming to measure all the torque values at the start of a test, middle of a test, and end of test. And by all, I mean all. That self taping screw holding trim pieces to the dash/door panel/anything has a torque value. And most are over tightened when serviced at the dealership.

1:34.20 Willow Springs Big Track
Scargoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 02:32 PM   #44
ROLLD20 SATX

Drives: 2019 Chrevrolet Camaro 2SS
Wheel Torque 2019

The 2019 manual is definitely updated to 140 lb ft. To bad my torque wrench is suppose to go to 150 but it will only get to 129#. So I borrowed my neighbors that is suppose to got o 150# also. Turns out his only goes to 130#. Lesson here is that two different brands of torque wrenches that are suppose to be 150# max won't reach that number, buy a higher rated wrench. Just ordered a torque wrench that will go from 25#-250#. Keep wrenching friends.
ROLLD20 SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 08:26 AM   #45
Osbornsm

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
...and the bump from DOWNTOWN!!!

Had to search to find a 2018 torque thread

Mods: Rotofab, Nick Williams 103mm TB, MSD IM, Kooks 1 7/8
Results: 470 hp / 447 tq
Osbornsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 08:50 AM   #46
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
Glad this came back from the depths because I definitely just assumed it was 100. Oh well, the wheels didn't fall off.

Also, whatever lube tech put them on last definitely didn't do it to spec. Some of them I had to sit there for a minute with my Ryobi impact to get them off, others were barely more than hand tight.
foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 09:04 PM   #47
OVRKLL

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE...makes me go YeeeHaw!
When I did my brake fluid flush, torquing the wheels was the most difficult part...but it is at 140!
Old 02-20-2020, 08:24 AM   #48
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLD20 SATX View Post
The 2019 manual is definitely updated to 140 lb ft. To bad my torque wrench is suppose to go to 150 but it will only get to 129#. So I borrowed my neighbors that is suppose to got o 150# also. Turns out his only goes to 130#. Lesson here is that two different brands of torque wrenches that are suppose to be 150# max won't reach that number, buy a higher rated wrench. Just ordered a torque wrench that will go from 25#-250#. Keep wrenching friends.
I have not independently verified this, but conventional wisdom is that torque wrenches are most accurate toward the center of their ranges. So, the one you ordered should be good.

If you don't mind sharing, what did you order, and what do others recommend for a torque wrench where 140 is about in the middle? I still need to get one.
Old 02-20-2020, 09:42 AM   #49
Gville1LE

Drives: 2006 Lexus IS350
Though I've not invested in an "Icon" item yet, Harbor Frieght's Icon line is supposed to be rather on-point :

Gville1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 09:52 AM   #50
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gville1LE View Post
Though I've not invested in an "Icon" item yet, Harbor Frieght's Icon line is supposed to be rather on-point :

I own some HF things, but I am not sure I want to trust anything from them requiring precision. Maybe those are fine, but I am a little leery of them. My current tq wrenches are Matco and Bluepoint.
Old 02-20-2020, 11:44 AM   #51
Matos1LE

Drives: SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
I own some HF things, but I am not sure I want to trust anything from them requiring precision. Maybe those are fine, but I am a little leery of them. My current tq wrenches are Matco and Bluepoint.
Yeah, I definitely wouldn't trust a torque wrench from Harbor Freight... lol
Matos1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 12:49 PM   #52
foshjowler

This makes me wonder, how critical is it that lug nuts are to spec. Mainly how much variance before you start to see an issue. I mean, it seems like most cars lug nut specs are measured in uggas and/or duggas.
Old 02-20-2020, 01:08 PM   #53
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshjowler View Post
This makes me wonder, how critical is it that lug nuts are to spec. Mainly how much variance before you start to see an issue. I mean, it seems like most cars lug nut specs are measured in uggas and/or duggas.
Opinion: For most cars driven routinely, I don't think it is very important beyond "tight enough". We've all had to change flat tires, and nobody uses a tq wrench when doing that.

However, when you are talking about a vehicle that can go around 180 mph, I start to want to be sure that things are attached according to specification, since the forces involved at high speeds are greater, and if anything goes wrong if could be very ugly. So, a little "click-click" would give me some peace of mind. Not that I drive terribly fast on public roads, but still...
Old 02-21-2020, 07:27 AM   #54
foshjowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Opinion: For most cars driven routinely, I don't think it is very important beyond "tight enough". We've all had to change flat tires, and nobody uses a tq wrench when doing that.

However, when you are talking about a vehicle that can go around 180 mph, I start to want to be sure that things are attached according to specification, since the forces involved at high speeds are greater, and if anything goes wrong if could be very ugly. So, a little "click-click" would give me some peace of mind. Not that I drive terribly fast on public roads, but still...
My theory is that impact wrenches aren't the most accurate things, at least not the cheap one I have, and a torque wrench is just as easy to use as anything else, so why not use one.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:05 AM   #55
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshjowler View Post
My theory is that impact wrenches aren't the most accurate things, at least not the cheap one I have, and a torque wrench is just as easy to use as anything else, so why not use one.
I agree. We're not trying to beat the flat rate here.

I do like air tools for breaking free really stubborn fasteners and for running things in or out, but I like to do final tightening with a tq wrench. A lot of this comes from my background of working on motorcycles. Motorcycles tend to be a lot more "spec sensitive" than cars and trucks so you have to be more careful working on them, but the desire to do precision work carries over for me.
Old 09-06-2020, 09:05 AM   #56
CC2018SS1LE

Drives: 2018 Chevy Camaro ss 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
I feel like I read somewhere that 140lbs was reccomended for either all camaro SS's or the 1LE but I can't find any info on wheel nut torque in the either the manual or HP supplement. Can someone help me find this info?
That’s crazy, I’ve done a bunch of track days torquing my wheels to 100lbs. Never had a problem, one track I hit 142 Mph. I checked after each session, the wheels never lost torque. I’ve raced cars for years, 140 is really tight, I never heard of torque specs that high
CC2018SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote