Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-18-2020, 08:58 AM   #183
indyz

Drives: 2SS, CT-R, LC500
Economically, ice is cheaper. Environmentally, EVs impact is understated
indyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 10:36 AM   #184
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
The Tesla is a much better daily driver. Things like single pedal driving with regen and brake hold make daily driving in traffic less annoying. Traffic aware cruise control with auto steer reduces fatigue on highway driving.
I get that "single pedal driving" might make the Tesla drive a bit more like your M7 car - you're at least not doing a slow tap dance on a brake pedal. But I wonder what you're letting slip by using things like brake hold and whatever 'traffic aware cruise control' and 'auto-steer' might be.

Quote:
Where the ZL1 makes great noises the Tesla entertains with its instant torque. I have never owned a car that will put you back in the seat like this one. It is the main event for us enthusiasts.
Exactly why the word 'kool-aid' is such an easy association here. It's easy to overlook what you might be giving up when the excitement from this one aspect is so readily accessible.

Quote:
... with the supercharging network you can easily make trips. The computer plans it all out for you, tells you where to stop, how long to charge, what you charge percentage will be when you get there, etc.
I guess that's OK if you're OK with relying on a computer to micromanage your trip. But what does that do for spontaneity? Wouldn't that tend to stifle any sudden impulse to take a side trip that wasn't in the original trip plan?

Norm
Old 02-18-2020, 11:04 AM   #185
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
I own a Tesla Model 3 Performance, which has pretty similar performance to the ZL1. The Tesla is a lot quicker down low (0-60mph in 3.0 consistently) and from 30-70mph but the 1/4 mi times would be about the same. They are obviously very different cars as one is a 4 door sedan vs. a sports coupe, however they both weight about the same at 4000lbs. The ZL1 has much better handling and adaptive suspension. They both have a Track Mode. Both have Brembo brakes.

Wondering if you have taken your 3 to the track? Or is that even practical with charging? I've read differing takes on Track Mode, some saying it's not quite there, and others saying the ~2sec you miss to keep a thermal steady state isn't a big deal.
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 01:47 PM   #186
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hops View Post
Wondering if you have taken your 3 to the track? Or is that even practical with charging? I've read differing takes on Track Mode, some saying it's not quite there, and others saying the ~2sec you miss to keep a thermal steady state isn't a big deal.
I haven't tracked mine but a buddy has. It is not really practical unless there is a Supercharger nearby. Some tracks have destination chargers that will charge at 48amps, which is good for about 44 miles of range per hour.

Track Mode itself is pretty good. It increases the regen to help save the brakes and it also helps shift the weight in the corners to induce some oversteer.

As for losing performance during extended track sessions, it is not as bad as it is made out to be. Track Mode helps keep the battery cool. As the heat levels rise the performance will decline a bit but is very linear and there is still plenty of power available.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 02:04 PM   #187
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post

I guess that's OK if you're OK with relying on a computer to micromanage your trip. But what does that do for spontaneity? Wouldn't that tend to stifle any sudden impulse to take a side trip that wasn't in the original trip plan?

Norm
It just depends I guess. In the morning I have 300 miles of range. I don't feel limited. If I want to take a road trip then I would just make sure to pull into a Supercharger location on the way. These things charge at 250kw now. I really don't feel any level of inconvenience. I really don't miss stopping at gas stations. Here in Florida when a hurricane threatens the gas lines become ridiculous. I just go home and charge up before the storm comes. I can even charge the car off a generator if really needed to.

Technology-wise, the range is about to go up again. The Tesla Model S can support 390 miles of range now and the funky CyberTruck will offer 500 miles of range on a single charge.

Check out how many Supercharger locations there are now.
https://www.tesla.com/supercharger
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 07:46 AM   #188
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
Was just listening to the Smoking Tire podcast from a few weeks ago, and the the guest was talking if ev's could have a 'soul' like we ascribe to ICE cars. He said is was possible, and compared the Tesla model S to the Rimac electric supercar. The Rimac purposely has less sound insulation so you can hear the cooling pumps and electric motor. As the sound goes he says it's a far richer experience than the Tesla.

I think it's possible an EV could be a good sensory experience for us gear heads when gear heads are designing them.
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 11:12 AM   #189
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Was just listening to the Smoking Tire podcast from a few weeks ago, and the the guest was talking if ev's could have a 'soul' like we ascribe to ICE cars. He said is was possible, and compared the Tesla model S to the Rimac electric supercar. The Rimac purposely has less sound insulation so you can hear the cooling pumps and electric motor. As the sound goes he says it's a far richer experience than the Tesla.

I think it's possible an EV could be a good sensory experience for us gear heads when gear heads are designing them.
That may hint at further efforts. Something to make such a car be more mechanical-feeling, because ultimately a car gets you from here to there by mechanical means rather than by electronic transmission. More driver involvement would help as well, because part of what constitutes 'soul' has been the driver having to do things himself as opposed to expecting to have them all done for him.

Personally, I think that for 'soul' to exist in a car that it needs to be less refined rather than more so. More mechanical in the control over what it's doing. Otherwise, with more insulation between the driver and what's happening gradually morphs the experience into becoming a mobile video game. A fast video game to be sure, but a video game in just about every respect other than the difference between looking through a windshield at real life and looking at a picture of real life on a video screen surface.

Norm
Old 02-22-2020, 11:21 AM   #190
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:

Considering some OEMs (including BMW) are pumping in fake engine noises through the audio system, as well as noise cancelation, a true genuine experience is harder and harder to come by.

You would have been amazed at the intake tuning proposal I heard for a Solstice/Sky turbo. Using essentially a reed valve the 4 cylinder sounded EXACTLY like a V8. With modern intake and exhaust tuning with the added audio mix tape that genuine experience is getting less clear.
Old 02-22-2020, 11:40 AM   #191

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
just for fun....probably old news already....

90503 is offline   Reply With Quote