#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 02-18-2020, 10:35 AM   #1
Bigdave18629

Drives: 2016 White 2SS Vert A8 Maggie S/C
ZL1 questions, looking to buy

Hello,

Looking at buying a new/used ZL1 and have a few questions. Was a 2SS Vert owner, heavily modded the car, sold it, now miss having one.

- Looking at the A10, what year is the first offered, and for owners is it as good as everyone says?

- Can you run track days in a convertible, or are you limited to coupes?

- The trunk sucks on the camaro, is there a pass through to the back seat in the ZL1 coupe, I know the convertible doesn't have one.

- Torn a bit between 1LE or not, this is a weekend car, is the 1LE too rough if not committed to the track?

- Inclined to go the A-10 vert, even if I might have to never track, any arguments against it?

They are hard to find sitting at dealers close to me, and most wont let them be driven when you do so your input is very welcome.

Thanks
Bigdave18629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 10:42 AM   #2
ZRacerLE

Drives: The DSSV Twins: ZR2 and ZLE A10
1le is fine for a weekend car, but I also don't mind the ride on long trips. It rides like a race car. You feel exactly what each tire is doing.
ZRacerLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 10:47 AM   #3
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
In the coupe, the back seat folds down for a pass through, and 2017 was 1st year for 6th gen ZL1.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 11:11 AM   #4
Walkure

Drives: '17 ZL1 A10 Vert
'17 was the 1st year for the A10. It's as good as advertised.

Most places won't let you track a vert unless you have a roll cage installed. It depends on the location and type of event.
I have a '17 A10 vert. There's no way you can go wrong with that choice - unless tracking is something you really want to do.
Walkure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 11:17 AM   #5
keystonemedical

Drives: 2019 ZL1 / LE , 2014 CTS V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdave18629 View Post
Hello,

Looking at buying a new/used ZL1 and have a few questions. Was a 2SS Vert owner, heavily modded the car, sold it, now miss having one.

- Looking at the A10, what year is the first offered, and for owners is it as good as everyone says?

- Can you run track days in a convertible, or are you limited to coupes?

- The trunk sucks on the camaro, is there a pass through to the back seat in the ZL1 coupe, I know the convertible doesn't have one.

- Torn a bit between 1LE or not, this is a weekend car, is the 1LE too rough if not committed to the track?

- Inclined to go the A-10 vert, even if I might have to never track, any arguments against it?

They are hard to find sitting at dealers close to me, and most wont let them be driven when you do so your input is very welcome.

Thanks

Dont be afraid of the LE. I drove mine all last summer and into the fall and loved every minute of it. My previous was a 2013 GT500 and I loved that car. My 2019 ZL1 /LE is two times the car that was. Dont let anyone tell you it rides to rough to drive it anywhere but the track, Its a ton of fun. See if you can find one to test drive, youll see.....
keystonemedical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 11:25 AM   #6
stevel664

Drives: 2017 black vert 2019 redeye WB
Had a 17 vert A10 great car. If you liked the 2SS you will go bonkers for the zl1 vert.
stevel664 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 11:58 AM   #7
19ZL1/1LE

Drives: 19 Camaro ZL1/1LE. 69 Camaro SS/RS
No vert available with the 1LE package. No fold down rear seat with the 1 LE package. 2019 was first year for A10 with 1LE, and its amazing IMO. ILE is great for a weekend car.
19ZL1/1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 01:39 PM   #8
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by keystonemedical View Post
Dont be afraid of the LE. I drove mine all last summer and into the fall and loved every minute of it. My previous was a 2013 GT500 and I loved that car. My 2019 ZL1 /LE is two times the car that was. Dont let anyone tell you it rides to rough to drive it anywhere but the track, Its a ton of fun. See if you can find one to test drive, youll see.....
Agreed, most of the people that say don't get a ZLE never drove one. Not all but most.
pauly1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 03:43 PM   #9
Bigdave18629

Thanks to all for the comments, all are helpful. Read great things about the A10, and at 6' 7" makes it easier on the leg to not account for the clutch. Now it is a matter of 1LE, Coupe, or convertible. Have some thinking to do.

Any 1LE drivers, did you put more of a normal tire on, or running the race tires?
Old 02-18-2020, 04:27 PM   #10
Tricksta

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdave18629 View Post
Thanks to all for the comments, all are helpful. Read great things about the A10, and at 6' 7" makes it easier on the leg to not account for the clutch. Now it is a matter of 1LE, Coupe, or convertible. Have some thinking to do.

Any 1LE drivers, did you put more of a normal tire on, or running the race tires?
I was going to go with the 1LE, test drove it, the ride is a bit harsher, not horrible, but noticeable, I wouldn't be tracking my car on the road course very often at all, maybe once a year, so it was more of me wanting it for the cosmetics,so i told myself it wasn't worth the extra money if i wasn't going to utilize it.

So then i looked at the regular ZL1's, wanted to get a convertible again as I missed my old convertible and all the fun times with it.

Ended up getting it in my head that the ZL1 is in all intents a race car, and it should be a coupe, so I went for the coupe instead.
Old 02-18-2020, 05:03 PM   #11
Bigdave18629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricksta View Post
I was going to go with the 1LE, test drove it, the ride is a bit harsher, not horrible, but noticeable, I wouldn't be tracking my car on the road course very often at all, maybe once a year, so it was more of me wanting it for the cosmetics,so i told myself it wasn't worth the extra money if i wasn't going to utilize it.

So then i looked at the regular ZL1's, wanted to get a convertible again as I missed my old convertible and all the fun times with it.

Ended up getting it in my head that the ZL1 is in all intents a race car, and it should be a coupe, so I went for the coupe instead.
Seems like you were on the same journey I am on. Trying to tell myself I am getting too old to be a racer, don't need the tickets, but then why buy fast just to limit myself.....go for it....I was looking at a 2010 ZR1 vette, but comparing that to the camaro, well there isn't much comparison other than the limited run of the vette. Wouldn't touch a C7, great car but not my thing. C6 was the last real vette, and the ZL1 is just an awesome car for the money. Going to have to do some driving so I can find one that I can test drive.
Old 02-18-2020, 05:42 PM   #12
HokieFan

Drives: 2019 ZL1 m6
I'm actually a couple of inches taller than you are and fit in my '19 M6 'vert - though I'm not sure I have an inch to spare I dont find working the clutch to be a problem at all, as it's such a breeze to use (at least on my car). Even in traffic. I need my back seats (well one...nobody is getting behind me) so a roll cage for legal tracking isnt a realistic option. That was a big factor in me going M6, despite all the accolades the A10 enjoys - I personally dont care about 10ths of seconds on a track/strip, and rowing the gears driving daily (on non rainy days) is plenty of fun for me in the ZL1. And the whole reason I have the car is for pure fun.
Attached Images

HokieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 05:42 PM   #13
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Either a ZL1 or ZLE would be a good choice but in my opinion since you aren’t planning any track events a ZL1 would be the better choice. I personally would go with a coupe but if you want a Vert then get it. The A10 transmission is a good alternative to the M6 if you don’t want to shift gears and of course the “bog” with the M6 you won’t have to deal with. The ZL1 is a perfect street/track car and I really think you will enjoy one and I know I enjoy driving and owning my 2017 more than any other Camaro I have owned over the years!
Old 02-18-2020, 08:01 PM   #14
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
I love my ZLE. I love the way it rides. I personally think the ride harshness is over exaggerated. My opinion. It’s awesome.
I put the stock rims and rubber aside for track days and installed the 19 inch Z28 rims from a 2015 Z28. With those rims I installed the Michelin PS4S tires with the same 325/305 tires sizes that come on the car.
Personally I didn’t find a big difference in ride quality. But I can say the Michelin’s are wearing far better. Way better tire in the rain too as opposed to the Goodyear’s. This car is absolutely awesome.
But really you can’t go wrong with any of the ZL1s. They are that good!!!
Just my opinion but I’m sure most would agree.

Last edited by Scottyz; 02-15-2022 at 04:24 AM.
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote