#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 02-06-2023, 01:18 PM   #1037
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94boosted View Post
Sold my SS 1LE last fall as I was getting a bit bored of it (4 auto-x seasons in the same car) plus I had the chance to sell it for more than I paid for it At the time I sold my car I had a deposit on a '23 MT Supra and the odds of me getting one seemed quite good. Sadly, now it's not looking as promising so I'm starting to consider alternatives. What would you fine folks recommend? I'm down to two:

BMW M2C
Arguably not thee car to have in BS, but should still be in the noise.

Mustang Mach 1
I'm trying to get a good handle on whether or not this car is as fast or faster than an SS 1LE on an autocross course. Can't seem to get any relevant autox specific info from this thread (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=590653). Wider front wheels, zero ice mode (I had a 2017) and better outward visibility, but it's far more expensive than a 1LE and also heavier.

Anything else? For reference the car will be mostly an autocross car, with a couple track days a year and an occasional jaunt to work.
STX GR86s are really fast for what they are, with RE71RS drivers are seeing over 1.6 lateral gs.

A friend got a Mach1, nice car but way overpriced imo. Pretty close to a SLE, it's a drivers race between the two in FS.

C6Zs are always impressive, lots of fun to drive, top AS pick.

I do BMW AX series here in CO, the M2s are VERY fast with some basic mods, but not sure where they'd fit into SCCA after those mods. The power these things make with a tune is ridiculous.
Old 02-06-2023, 01:56 PM   #1038
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
Always loved the M2C but it's so overpriced for a track car vs the Camaro. You're essentially paying 20k more for a slower car and then you have to throw more money into it because the brakes are kind of crap(probably doesnt apply here since you're doing autox).

Not sure how the 2023 model is though, have yet to see one in real life.
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 03:18 PM   #1039
94boosted

Drives: ‘17 1LE, ‘17 BMW 340, ‘18 F-150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
STX GR86s are really fast for what they are, with RE71RS drivers are seeing over 1.6 lateral gs.

A friend got a Mach1, nice car but way overpriced imo. Pretty close to a SLE, it's a drivers race between the two in FS.

C6Zs are always impressive, lots of fun to drive, top AS pick.

I do BMW AX series here in CO, the M2s are VERY fast with some basic mods, but not sure where they'd fit into SCCA after those mods. The power these things make with a tune is ridiculous.
We live at 3500' above sea level so low powered N/A cars are just a no no. I owned an ND Miata for a few months and it was just so gutless I couldn't handle it, as fun as it was to auto-x in CS.

I just got offered a brand new Mach 1 for $7K under sticker, it is kind of tempting but it's still a lot of money for what it is.

I've previously owned a C6, I'd consider a C6Z again but prices on them are insane, 20-30% more than what they were pre-Covid.

Yah our local club follows SCCA rules so I probably can't do any mods to an M2C besides a bar and some shocks maybe.
Old 02-06-2023, 03:21 PM   #1040
94boosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian1LE View Post
Always loved the M2C but it's so overpriced for a track car vs the Camaro. You're essentially paying 20k more for a slower car and then you have to throw more money into it because the brakes are kind of crap(probably doesnt apply here since you're doing autox).

Not sure how the 2023 model is though, have yet to see one in real life.
Yah it would mainly be an auto-x car with maybe 1-2 track days a year.

Looking at 2020-21 not a 2023.
Old 02-06-2023, 06:08 PM   #1041
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
I think a Mach 1 is basically dead even with an SS 1LE for autocross use, like Dave said. I think they can also get a bit more camber than a 1LE and they have a 3" shorter wheelbase (but more overhang, I think). It must have the "handling package" on top of the Mach 1 option or else it won't have the good stuff. If you can get a new one for $7k under msrp, that seems like it's worth a look. I don't see any reason to think the new Dark Horse thing will be any faster for autocross use, so I doubt you would be buying an obsolete car. There's always the C6Z-in-AS option, too. That car is faster than anything in FS, but the interior is pretty meh.
Old 02-07-2023, 08:43 AM   #1042
94boosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
I think a Mach 1 is basically dead even with an SS 1LE for autocross use, like Dave said. I think they can also get a bit more camber than a 1LE and they have a 3" shorter wheelbase (but more overhang, I think). It must have the "handling package" on top of the Mach 1 option or else it won't have the good stuff. If you can get a new one for $7k under msrp, that seems like it's worth a look. I don't see any reason to think the new Dark Horse thing will be any faster for autocross use, so I doubt you would be buying an obsolete car. There's always the C6Z-in-AS option, too. That car is faster than anything in FS, but the interior is pretty meh.
I should have clarified, that's $7K CAD haha. Sticker is $80K CAD and they're offering it for $73K CAD. For reference a 1SS 1LE sticker price is $59K CAD
Old 02-07-2023, 09:06 AM   #1043
Melon

Drives: '23 1LE, '18 Canyon, '87 325i
Quote:
but it's far more expensive than a 1LE and also heavier.

Anything else? For reference the car will be mostly an autocross car, with a couple track days a year and an occasional jaunt to work.
The price alone convinced me to go 1LE. Don't get me wrong, I road trip in my 1LE, and the Mustang would also be great for that, but several thousand for the same performance, meh.

Also, if I ever want to go into the engine, the LT1 is a much simpler platform to build.
Melon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 12:40 PM   #1044
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Need tires? Costco has promo discount of $150 on Re-71RS.. averages out to about $100 savings - installed vs tire rack price.

https://tires.costco.com/product?ItemNo=1709584

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 12:46 AM   #1045
KirillWA

Drives: 2022 Camaro 1SS 1LE
My experience. I autocross my 1LE every other week on a large Nascar track. Around 75 cars competing there - with anything from Miatas and S2000s to 911s, M4s and Corvettes. A lot of car are not used on the street and arrive on trailers with crazy wheel alignment and Cup2Rs.
Around a minute per lap with a straight where you can get to 90mph if you are lucky.

The only mod that I did is GM front strut brace. Did few times on stock Supercar3 tires and then switched to MPSAS4 when temperature dropped below 45 degrees and it started to rain like crazy.

The car is very competitive - I end up in top 5 in my class every time, and last time even finished 1st. There are plenty of things for me to learn, but as is 1LE is already very fast.

I usually do 1st session in Dry PTM mode and then switch to Sport1. Tried Wet PTM mode, but even during very wet weather my time is always better in Dry/Sport1.

Some thinking:
1. Does Autocross mode for PTM worth $600 or it is pretty much the same as Sport1?
2. Do I need a catch can?
3. Better time or winning trophies? I usually show better time on my Tesla Model Y. That thing is a beast and so easy to drive autocross with Track Mode. But AWD class is more competitive - I can have 5th time overall and will be 4th/5th in the class, or I can drive Camaro, get 5th time and be 1st in RWD class still.
Old 02-09-2023, 09:02 AM   #1046
94boosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirillWA View Post
My experience. I autocross my 1LE every other week on a large Nascar track. Around 75 cars competing there - with anything from Miatas and S2000s to 911s, M4s and Corvettes. A lot of car are not used on the street and arrive on trailers with crazy wheel alignment and Cup2Rs.
Around a minute per lap with a straight where you can get to 90mph if you are lucky.

The only mod that I did is GM front strut brace. Did few times on stock Supercar3 tires and then switched to MPSAS4 when temperature dropped below 45 degrees and it started to rain like crazy.

The car is very competitive - I end up in top 5 in my class every time, and last time even finished 1st. There are plenty of things for me to learn, but as is 1LE is already very fast.

I usually do 1st session in Dry PTM mode and then switch to Sport1. Tried Wet PTM mode, but even during very wet weather my time is always better in Dry/Sport1.

Some thinking:
1. Does Autocross mode for PTM worth $600 or it is pretty much the same as Sport1?
2. Do I need a catch can?
3. Better time or winning trophies? I usually show better time on my Tesla Model Y. That thing is a beast and so easy to drive autocross with Track Mode. But AWD class is more competitive - I can have 5th time overall and will be 4th/5th in the class, or I can drive Camaro, get 5th time and be 1st in RWD class still.
1. There's an autocross calibration for the diff that enables it to lock up a bit quicker, beneficial for very competitive autocrossers. Never heard of anything for the PTM.
2. I think it's always a good idea on a DI engine.
3. Better tires (RT660, A052, RE71RS) and proper alignment. That will help you a lot.
Old 02-09-2023, 11:42 AM   #1047
KirillWA

Drives: 2022 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
1. There's an autocross calibration for the diff that enables it to lock up a bit quicker, beneficial for very competitive autocrossers. Never heard of anything for the PTM.
2. I think it's always a good idea on a DI engine.
3. Better tires (RT660, A052, RE71RS) and proper alignment. That will help you a lot.
1. Yes, I've meant the eLSD calibration. I had an impression that it is engaged through PTM menu. Do you have that calibration installed on yours? Is it a noticeable improvement, or better to spend money on tires?
Old 02-09-2023, 12:16 PM   #1048
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
You have to fully disable traction and stability control to activate the autocross eLSD calibration if you pay to get it.
You can do this by holding down the traction control button for about 7 seconds until 2 orange lights show up on the dash. PTM modes remain unchanged before and after the autocross eLSD calibration.

I don't have the autocross eLSD calibration but the car has always felt best and fastest for me at several autocross practice events with traction and stability control fully disabled when the pavement is dry, just be prepared to catch slides with counter steer.
cdrptrks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 01:00 PM   #1049
prostcj

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
1. Yes, I've meant the eLSD calibration. I had an impression that it is engaged through PTM menu. Do you have that calibration installed on yours? Is it a noticeable improvement, or better to spend money on tires?
Tires are without a doubt the best performance enhancement for Autox.
prostcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 07:07 PM   #1050
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
You need to make your rules allow that recalibration. SCCA F Street class does not allow it, for example.