#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

AWE Tuning

Old 02-22-2022, 07:05 AM   #1
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Ford Ranger Raptor

This isn't the NA market truck, but it can't be that far off.

https://www.motor1.com/news/569017/2...ranger-raptor/

I'm curious what they do with the tune for our market. 3.0-liter V6 EcoBoost. 288 hp and 362 lb-ft in this application but neutered for Europe. The 2.7 I4 expected would match up with this (310/348) in the twins, even without the HO version I hope we get maybe in the next gen ZR2.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 09:49 AM   #2
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Based on what I'm seeing, the US spec version will have 392 HP and 430 ft lbs of torque. Way better than the EU spec. It would be a very sad day if Ford only gave the Ranger Raptor 288 HP from a TTV6 engine.

The US Ranger hasn't actually been revealed officially yet, has it? I mean...I know it has basically been revealed with the launch of the global version. I expect the US version to look close to the same, if not exactly the same on the exterior and the interior. It's not a bad looking truck, but it's also not making me lean towards going with Ford this time around versus one of the GM mid-size twins. That huge vertical screen on the inside is a turn off for me. I guess I was hoping for something else. Maybe my expectations for the mid-size segment are too high.

Anyways...back to the power. I get the feeling GM is gonna go the easy route and offer just the 2.7 which is what the media outlets are reporting. If we're lucky they will all get the new H.O. engine, but my gut tells me the mid-sizers won't get all that power...maybe the ZR2 will though. It will need it to be competitive from a power perspective. I'd love to see GM drop an option for a powerful TTV6 though.
Old 02-22-2022, 10:31 AM   #3
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Of course GM is going the easy route. That’s what GM does.
Old 02-22-2022, 10:32 AM   #4
Bhobbs

Depending on which version of the 2.7T, the Colorado will likely be more powerful than the base Ranger but the Raptor will have the edge in torque but a significant lead in power. I wish GM tried a little bit more.
Old 02-22-2022, 10:32 AM   #5
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
If it's 392/430, GM would have to stuff the 6.2 in there to compete on the ZR2. Almost zero chance of that, but the 2.7 HO wouldn't be enough. Maybe Ford has forced their hand? Wishful thinking.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 11:04 AM   #6
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
Not sure where motor1 is getting 288hp. There seems to be some confusion amongst the reporting groups. I'm seeing multiple reports of 292kW and 583Nm or 392hp and 430lb-ft.

Which if that's the Oz and RoW output fits the typical change from US-spec. I expect the US-spec to be identical to Bronco Raptor's reported, but unconfirmed 400+HP/415+tq. The RoW seems to always get a lower output like the Mach1 being 480/420 here and 453/390 everywhere else.
Old 02-22-2022, 11:19 AM   #7
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
If it's 392/430, GM would have to stuff the 6.2 in there to compete on the ZR2. Almost zero chance of that, but the 2.7 HO wouldn't be enough. Maybe Ford has forced their hand? Wishful thinking.
What frustrates me is the C8Z06 shows what GM is capable of when they try but then they just choose not to. I was reading about Holden developing a 6.2 Colorado with the 10 speed and it was close to being finished but GM closed Holden and scrapped the project.
Old 02-22-2022, 12:48 PM   #8
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

So even TFL is reporting the 392/430 numbers. So I'm thinking motor1 simply encountered some sort of miscommunication.

https://youtu.be/5W8DiIxdLAc
Old 02-22-2022, 12:54 PM   #9
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
What frustrates me is the C8Z06 shows what GM is capable of when they try but then they just choose not to. I was reading about Holden developing a 6.2 Colorado with the 10 speed and it was close to being finished but GM closed Holden and scrapped the project.
I read all about that too. Man....how awesome would that have been.
Old 02-23-2022, 07:21 AM   #10
BehindBlueI's

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
This will launch in the US in 2023 and it's the same 3.0TT as the Explorer ST. Ford is ordering enough components from suppliers for 200k total "new" Rangers for the US market, unknown how many will be Raptors. I may be able to find out if it's not under NDA.
BehindBlueI's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 09:07 AM   #11
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Man ford is really diving into the offroad out door market.

Tremor Versions of Ranger, F-150, F-250
Timbeline versions of Explorer, Expedition
Bronco
Ranger Raptor, Bronco Raptor, F-150 Raptor, Raptor R
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 10:47 AM   #12
genxer

Drives: multiple cars
That other company has a better approach. Almost anything awd or 4x4 has trail rated. Full size truck power wagon with lockers and winch. Less than full size BoF's aimed for rock crawling, mostly. Then a TRX.

Ford's probably overdoing the Raptor thing. GM could make a wide track LT5 ZR2 Silvy.
And produce the Beast as the performance dune jumper, ignoring truck duty capability.
genxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 11:39 AM   #13
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer View Post
That other company has a better approach. Almost anything awd or 4x4 has trail rated. Full size truck power wagon with lockers and winch. Less than full size BoF's aimed for rock crawling, mostly. Then a TRX.

Ford's probably overdoing the Raptor thing. GM could make a wide track LT5 ZR2 Silvy.
And produce the Beast as the performance dune jumper, ignoring truck duty capability.
"Trail Rated" is pure marketing. It's arbitrary goals set by Jeep themselves for water fording, maneuverability, articulation, ground clearance, etc. Some of those items they don't even lead in anymore.

Power Wagon is a nice setup, however when compared to the likes of the SD Tremors, it lacking a diesel option is a huge miss in Ram's part. Even on the petrol side it's down on displacement and power. It does have a front locker which is a win for the Ram, but they both offer the same 12,000lb winch.

Jeep definitely has the rock crawler crowd, no one should doubt that. But with Bronco being new, we'll see in a few years how big of a bit of the pie it'll take.

TRX is a monster. And currently the Raptor R is vaporware. So that's also a win for the Ram... until later this fall when the R shows up proper.

I agree that the Raptor nameplate COULD be over used. But I don't think we're there yet. There are just some things it doesn't belong on. Ford may actually be keen on this. Which is why the "off-road" EcoSport got the Storm trim and how it looks like the Maverick will get Rattler. but I have zero issue with Raptor on Ranger, Bronco, and F-150. To be honest, if they wanted to go one more step beyond Tremor in the SD's and have a SD Raptor... would at least be interesting.
Old 02-25-2022, 07:22 AM   #14
Crushin_LT1

Drives: 2021 LT1 6spd
Those Rangers are really nice, I was choosing between a Ranger/Colorado, Camaro/Challenger, or a 4Runner. The Rangers really cut it close, may pick one up in a few years should the need arise, and with how often I move it would be handy.