Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-08-2019, 11:18 PM   #1
mano_camaro
IYAOYAS

Drives: 22 1LE 2SS M6 Riverside Blue
Thinking about replacing rear tires only

Hello gents, I have a nail on one of my rear stock tires (275/ run flats) only 7,200 miles on the car. I will track the car about once a month, I'm thinking about keeping the front 245's and replacing both rears to 285 or 295 on stock wheels. What are your suggestions? Im new to performance cars and learning from this forum. I appreciate your inputs.

2020 Red Hot Camaro 2SS 1LE/PDR /Sold

2018 black Camaro 2SS M6 Redline Edition/Traded

2016 summit white Camaro RS V6 M6/Traded
mano_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 02:19 PM   #2
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
First, when you got a nail in the tire, did you ever run the tires at very low air pressure? I.e., less than 20 psi or so? If you kept the air up above that and the nail is in the tread and not shoulder or sidewall, a patch plug should be fine to continue using the tire even on the track. You need to replace a run-flat if it was actually run without significant air pressure because the sidewalls become damaged when driving without enough air pressure.

Now, if you do get tires, first thing to consider is that you want to have the same brand/type of tire on all 4 corners. Don't swap just rears because the differences in tire construction and compounds can make the car drive very poorly.

As for specific tires and sizes to run, there are many different threads here already that go in-depth into these topics. Start with the stickied threads at the top of this forum and read from there. The most popular tire I've seen around here for mostly daily use with a track day here and there seems to be the Michelin PS4S, but there are lots of other choices to match different budget/driving needs.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:50 PM   #3
mano_camaro
IYAOYAS

Thanks Alpha, very informative post. The leak is very slow and never gotten below 28 psi. I thought about patching, before track use but wanted to get inputs. I didn't know about issues using different thread tires. Thanks again for the insight.

Old 03-10-2019, 07:35 AM   #4
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Mine got nails in both of the stock rear runflats. Personally, I am not comfortable racing on 'repaired' tires. For one thing, the patch only plugs the hole to make it hold air, it does not change the fact that the belts were damaged too. The structural damage to the tire is permanent. So I ended up buying new tires for mine.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 11:24 AM   #5
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
I would patch a tire, never plug a tire, of this type. Two different types of repairs.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:08 AM   #6
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Here's a useful article:https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=225

The nature of the puncture is critical. Last year my wife had a nail that, while it was in the center of the tread, was at such and acute angle that it tore up a lot of structure. I scrapped it.

I would take the tire to a real tire shop that patches from the inside, and live with their verdict.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 02:59 PM   #7
mano_camaro
IYAOYAS

Thanks guys for the feedback, i will get it patched and save it as an emergency spare in my garage. I will purchase another runflat to be safe on the track and on to drive to Camaro fest 650+ miles away.