Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 01-07-2019, 10:14 PM   #1
Rodan

Drives: 2018 ZL1 coupe
Anyone using Schroth Quick Fit Pro on track?

I want to be able to use a head and neck restraint in our ZL1 on track, but don't really like the design (or the price!) of the Simpson Hybrid S. We have another track car with traditional 6pt. harness, and I would like to be able to use the same HANS device with either.

It looks like the Schroth Quick Fit Pro would fit the bill, but is not currently advertised for Camaro fitment, though I have read elsewhere that one of the BMW fitments will work.

Anyone using one? Which fitment did you buy? What are your thoughts?

Any options for the stock belts other than the Simpson Hybrid S?

The ZL1 will only get tracked a couple times a year, so I'm really not interested in roll bars, harness bars, or race seats/harnesses.
Rodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:24 AM   #2
RedHot18

Drives: 2018 ZL1
I was using a Simpson Hybrid S in conjunction with the Schroth 4 point that uses the OEM mounts and can attest to the fact that they work very well. I had the misfortune of putting my car into a wall during a track event and other than car, ego, hand and wrist damage, walked away unhurt. It was a quartering side impact probably over 80 mph.
RedHot18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:04 AM   #3
Rodan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHot18 View Post
I was using a Simpson Hybrid S in conjunction with the Schroth 4 point that uses the OEM mounts and can attest to the fact that they work very well. I had the misfortune of putting my car into a wall during a track event and other than car, ego, hand and wrist damage, walked away unhurt. It was a quartering side impact probably over 80 mph.
Thanks for the reply! Was that in your ZL1 or a different car?
Old 01-08-2019, 12:05 PM   #4
Squatch
Camaro pilot

Drives: 69 Camaro, 2014 ZL1
I have been looking at this as I don't want anything perma mounted in the car and was wondering if these will just snap in for race days.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:05 PM   #5
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Word of caution.

Unless HMS provides cert that schroth has passed testing, many track day clubs will not allow it's use on track, ie it will fail tech inspection.

Maybe you get lucky and they don't see it...

OR

You don't put it in place during tech.. and then drive out on track with it on.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:26 PM   #6
Rodan

Schroth is TUV and DOT certified for road use, so they should be acceptable where stock belts are OK... who is HMS?

Some organizations won't allow a four point, which I understand, but the Quick Fit Pro is not a typical four point... it's designed to work in conjunction with the factory safety features.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:28 PM   #7
Rodan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatch View Post
I have been looking at this as I don't want anything perma mounted in the car and was wondering if these will just snap in for race days.
That's what I'm trying to find out. There are no Camaro fitments currently listed, but I've read other threads where folks claimed to have used a BMW fitment in a Camaro. I'm trying to confirm that this will work.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:38 PM   #8
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
NASA for examples does not allow them on track unless they are HMS approved - they have extra TAG certifying their use. Generic versions do not.

HSM is company that imports and certifies their track worthiness on bunch of makes n models ( bmw, mustang, etc . )

https://www.hmsmotorsport.com/products/quickfit-pro

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 03:45 PM   #9
Rodan

OK, HMS is the US importer for Schroth. Got it.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:11 PM   #10
wstaab

Drives: 69 Z28, 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodan View Post
I want to be able to use a head and neck restraint in our ZL1 on track, but don't really like the design (or the price!) of the Simpson Hybrid S. We have another track car with traditional 6pt. harness, and I would like to be able to use the same HANS device with either.

It looks like the Schroth Quick Fit Pro would fit the bill, but is not currently advertised for Camaro fitment, though I have read elsewhere that one of the BMW fitments will work.

Anyone using one? Which fitment did you buy? What are your thoughts?

Any options for the stock belts other than the Simpson Hybrid S?

The ZL1 will only get tracked a couple times a year, so I'm really not interested in roll bars, harness bars, or race seats/harnesses.

HANS compatible: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=33
wstaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:05 PM   #11
Rodan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstaab View Post
BMW E90... thanks... but it looks like that's not a good idea.

I finally got a few minutes to call HSM this afternoon and spoke directly with the source...

They don't list a Camaro fitment because the angle from the top of the front seat to the rear seat belt anchors is outside the acceptable limits for safety.

According to their tech guy, the only option would be one of their other ASM harnesses, probably the Profi II ASM FE, ordered with longer shoulder belts to use a bolt in anchor somewhere on the package shelf.

I'll continue to investigate a package shelf anchor, but to reiterate: the US Schroth importer specifically states that the Quick Fit Pro is NOT RECOMMENDED for use in a Camaro.

Thanks for all the input, guys. At least we've got an answer documented here now.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:47 PM   #12
wstaab

Drives: 69 Z28, 2018 ZL1 1LE
All of the Schroth Quick Fit Pro's must be crash tested because they connect to the OEM seat belt buckles to be certified. No Camaro's in Germany for crash testing. Liability issue for Schroth selling a belt system for a Camaro.Angle is not a problem. Same install in a BMW which is certified by Schroth. Works fine with a HANS device which it was designed to be compatible with.
wstaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 04:49 PM   #13
vr46

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
I'd like to resurrect this thread. Anybody else have more experience with using this harness over the last 12 - 15 months?

Hoping to find it works with the ZLE.
vr46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 07:59 PM   #14
Rodan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodan View Post
I finally got a few minutes to call HSM this afternoon and spoke directly with the source...

They don't list a Camaro fitment because the angle from the top of the front seat to the rear seat belt anchors is outside the acceptable limits for safety.

According to their tech guy, the only option would be one of their other ASM harnesses, probably the Profi II ASM FE, ordered with longer shoulder belts to use a bolt in anchor somewhere on the package shelf.

I'll continue to investigate a package shelf anchor, but to reiterate: the US Schroth importer specifically states that the Quick Fit Pro is NOT RECOMMENDED for use in a Camaro.