Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 06-16-2017, 09:27 AM   #29
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
I thought about that too but I have to say it's more apparent on sharper turns where I don't carry as much speed so not sure the effectiveness of that wicker bill or if there's any. Like I said, I think the A/B test will give me a better idea I will compare sector times and see what I can find. I doubt that the difference will be much but doesn't hurt to try

Here in PNW the track conditions are somewhat more consistent except the very hot days (90F+ degrees) that are very uncommon and NT01s is also consistent
Clearly you're very analytical about the whole car set up so no doubt you'll figure it out. If I were to make a guess, a square 305 set up could improve it based on your wider R track due to offset to get the R to rotate more. Then again it would also flatten a rake some, but that may matter less on slower corners where mechanical grip works the most. But that's just my armchair expertise nothing more
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 04:23 PM   #30
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
1LE has more aero than a NASCAR Cup car

Ford GT won cause they sand bagged during practice which caused all other margues to get slapped with BOP penalties, effectively taking them out of the race. NB the Ferrari came very close to winning. And the history is about to repeat itself as Ford GT was the slowest in practice again this week which meant the C7R got slapped with BOP penalty, albeit not as big as last year. BTW sand bagging is cheating in my book...
trust me, after meeting Dan Binks at the Baltimore Grand Prix, on my bday no less, I was hooked on corvette. not a comfy fit for me, which is why I went Camaro. but, I remember well about the BoP thing. sucked, but like you said corvette got hit again this year. although its only like .2mm, it still .5mm more than last year, so heres hoping for Gavin, Milner, Fassler, Magnusson, Garcia and Taylor can bring it back.

I mean we can say this or that would have happened, but theres ground for both sides of thought. Pro-BoP vs Pro-Run what ya brung. but at what point do things get outta control???

either way, i'm still cancelling anything tomorrow and doing my tradition of watching all 24 of it, straight through

however, appreciate the humor in the post.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 04:47 PM   #31
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
Quote:
Clearly you're very analytical about the whole car set up so no doubt you'll figure it out. If I were to make a guess, a square 305 set up could improve it based on your wider R track due to offset to get the R to rotate more. Then again it would also flatten a rake some, but that may matter less on slower corners where mechanical grip works the most. But that's just my armchair expertise nothing more
I try to be but I am still not certain on many things though I have to say though, car definitely felt better with the additional grip on the rear tires (325s) so I don't want to solve the understeer issue by reducing the tire size if it caused by the additional grip. I would much prefer adding more grip to the fronts to overcome the understeer. It's not terrible though.

By going wider (and as a result taller) tires in the rear, I retained the original rake also which should also help reducing the understeer. With the slicks or R7, 305 SQ setup might be better since overall grip level is already better than Nt01s or streetable R comps and keeping the balance (going from 325s to 305s) wouldn't be a downgrade.
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 12:26 AM   #32
evanescent03

Drives: '19 SS 1LE/'19 Rubicon/'20 AT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblurr View Post
I wouldn't worry about it. There are so many things you can do to become a faster driver before even thinking about aero.
Easy for you to say... you, sir, are a "hot shoe" lol. jk. I do agree with you even though I'm slow.
evanescent03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 03:23 AM   #33
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
I tested the car with and without the wicker bill at the last event.

After running the car without the wicker bill, I didn't feel any loss in traction/ rear grip but the car felt like it was a bit faster on the straights. I checked my trapped speed on the main straightaway and it was about 2 mph faster on the average than with the wicker bill, ~136mph vs ~138mph respectively (both recorded with external 10hz GPS so pretty accurate on straights)

I have to note though, the ambient temps were slightly lower (say 2-3 degrees) on the later sessions when I ran it without the wicker bill. However, the car didn't feel sluggish or heat soaked in the previous sessions either so I still think wicker bill was adding some drag.
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 03:29 PM   #34
OminouSS

Drives: Red Hot track candy
This cars whole problem, if you want to call it that, is understeer. Period. I can fix that with tires alone. I don't need to go down the path of aero unless the factory did all the testing for me. Change to a 295/315 or 305/325 setup, in a sticky compound and call it a day. If you're on tighter, slower courses then go SQ. It's taken 6 months to prove that having thrown all the magazine dribble out the passenger window. You should just simply never consider aero until you've worked out all fixes you can with rubber, first. Just complicating a process.
Old 06-25-2017, 04:10 PM   #35
TrackClub

Never drove a ZL1 but having now driven my SS 1LE on a track for a few sessions I can defo vouch THIS car doesn't have any "understeer problems" in stock form. It simply goes where it is pointed on turn in, has fabulous mid corner rotation and good exit. Now a ZL1 handles a bit differently from what I've read and it would not surprise me as the F is heavier. But, I'd agree on balance that solving any handling issues via aero is likely the last place I'd be looking for. The problem IMO is that aftermarket shops sell a whole bunch of add ons that may make a car look cool, but that's a different path altogether. Then folks lean on info pertaining to different cars (like Z/28) yet that's another different car, different suspension, sways, track width, etc etc. Apples to oranges...
Old 06-25-2017, 04:41 PM   #36
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
would anyone expect any difference between the SS wing and the 1LE blade spoiler on a road course?
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 05:34 PM   #37
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
would anyone expect any difference between the SS wing and the 1LE blade spoiler on a road course?
If the F spoiler is the same on both cars then I'd expect the same down force on the R to maintain proper balance. But it may depend on sways, rake and track width. If the latter are not the same then down force might not be either EDIT: to achieve a proper balance overall.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:46 PM   #38
OminouSS

Drives: Red Hot track candy
Quote:
Never drove a ZL1 but having now driven my SS 1LE on a track for a few sessions I can defo vouch THIS car doesn't have any "understeer problems" in stock form. It simply goes where it is pointed on turn in, has fabulous mid corner rotation and good exit. Now a ZL1 handles a bit differently from what I've read and it would not surprise me as the F is heavier.
Maybe you're not driving the car fast enough?? I don't know, but I do understand that some fast guys are having understeer in their SS's & 1LE's too. I think it is inherent with these heavy cars. But I did not notice it until I picked up real speed.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:57 PM   #39
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by OminouSS View Post
Maybe you're not driving the car fast enough?? I don't know, but I do understand that some fast guys are having understeer in their SS's & 1LE's too. I think it is inherent with these heavy cars. But I did not notice it until I picked up real speed.
Definitely understeers with the staggered setup.

The square setup helps a lot I've noticed.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:12 PM   #40
TrackClub

If 1LE (don't know about non 1LE cars) understeered, Randy wouldn't be faster in it (vs Z28) around Laguna without Multimatic suspension, without LS7 motor and without near slick Trofeos. Also, I wouldn't just beat my PB yesterday, which i set in my Vette on NT01s. NO. 1LE does not understeer. Instead, it is a superbly balanced car which goes where pointed. Even Randy noted that. But, maybe folks that do experience understeer have a messy alignment, or changed the track width with after market wheels, or over drive it, or perhaps just need more instruction. PS I've been doing it long enuf to know when car is as close to neutral as possible. And apparently Randy thinks so, too

Last edited by TrackClub; 06-25-2017 at 09:28 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:34 PM   #41
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Quote:
If 1LE (don't know about non 1LE cars) understeered, Randy wouldn't be faster in it (vs Z28) around Laguna without Multimatic suspension, without LS7 motor and without near slick Trofeos. Also, I wouldn't just beat my PB yesterday, which i set in my Vette on NT01s. NO. 1LE does not understeer. Instead, it is a superbly balanced car which goes where pointed. Even Randy noted that. But, maybe folks that do experience understeer have a messy alignment, or changed the track width with after market wheels, or over drive it, or perhaps just need more instruction. PS I've been doing it long enuf to know when car is as close to neutral as possible. And apparently Randy thinks so, too
Yeah I can't speak for the 1LE since I just have the regular SS which definitely understeers on the stock tire widths.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:41 PM   #42
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
Yeah I can't speak for the 1LE since I just have the regular SS which definitely understeers on the stock tire widths.
Fair enuf. That's why GM built a 1LE as a track version. If both of them handled the same it wouldn't make sense for anyone to spend several thousand $ just for a black hood wrap Peace.