#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 04-24-2017, 12:26 PM   #15
mbar

Drives: 2016 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx6g1le View Post
Good to know! Will Track addict have a list of applicable plugins like Harry's has?
Yes. You can look it up in their website. Only the Pro version with IOS support GM special readings (as of a few months ago) . I would buy the dongle from a place you can return it.

Side story - I have a $20 dongle from Amazon that was working with the GM PID's . After a few months TrackAddict had an app update and the cheap dongle stopped working. A friend at the track last month gave me her GoPoint and the GM PID's were back. I'm waiting for it to go on sale.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:57 PM   #16
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbar View Post
I use the Pro version of TrackAddict. It has PID's for GM cars if you have an "authentic" OBDII reader.

I started suspecting the Dash oil temp reading when I saw how quick the temp goes up (290F after 4 laps) yet no limp mode + the temp dropped on the dash to 220F after 1 cool down lap aka too quick.

I heard 2 theories:
1. The dash temp read is an algorithm that calculate 'hard use' of the car from other readings and "guess" the oil temp.
2. The OBDII PID is reading from a different point.
Very interesting that you guys experienced this since I never did.

I know the fact that previous Gen Camaros had an algorithm to calculate the Oil temps based on the delta (or certain formula) between the Coolant Temps but I also heard they changed it with the new Camaros. I personally didn't notice jumping oil temps on my dash but I have '17 1LE.

If the ECM utilizes an actual oil temp gauge and if the readings are already accessible via OBD2, I don't understand why they don't use it and go with algorithms instead. I am not suggesting your logic is wrong or anything, but this whole thing doesn't make sense.

I have a BT OBD2 adapter sitting in my garage and a dedicated cell phone to to run Racechrono and Torque app (they integrated). I will see how different the temp readings will be and report in this thread.

I did see the actual sensor on the oil cooler in pictures (as it also reads the Oil Pressure I wouldn't be surprised) but maybe they differ from model to model I am not sure about that.
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:09 PM   #17
mbar

Drives: 2016 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
I have a BT OBD2 adapter sitting in my garage and a dedicated cell phone to to run Racechrono and Torque app (they integrated). I will see how different the temp readings will be and report in this thread.

It's much easier to have special/GM OBD readings with an Android device...
I'll be waiting for your report.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:36 PM   #18
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Here's the important thing to consider: Where the oil temp sensor is reading. And there is an actual, dedicated oil temperature sensor on the V8 cars on the oil cooler block.

It's possible that the actual sensor is reading oil pan oil temperature and the cluster gauge is programmed with an algorithm to translate it to a "valley" or "bearing" oil temperature.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:22 PM   #19
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbar View Post
It's much easier to have special/GM OBD readings with an Android device...
I'll be waiting for your report.
Will do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
Here's the important thing to consider: Where the oil temp sensor is reading. And there is an actual, dedicated oil temperature sensor on the V8 cars on the oil cooler block.

It's possible that the actual sensor is reading oil pan oil temperature and the cluster gauge is programmed with an algorithm to translate it to a "valley" or "bearing" oil temperature.
I understand, I heard the Gen 5 Camaros also had sensor but they also used algorithm to calculate. I just don't understand the logic behind it If the readings are already there and available via OBD2 why the hell not use it on the dash like a free mobile app? that's just beyond me
Old 04-25-2017, 09:17 PM   #20
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Last track day my peak "dash" and Cosworth oil temp was 270F, however the quickness in which the dash indicated oil temp dropped to roughly 220F during the course of a cool down lap is way out of line with my experience with actual oil temp sensors in other cars.

As such, I would be not at all surprised to hear the dash oil temp reading is calculated or otherwise doctored to display something inferred or dramatically amusing.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:19 PM   #21
glamcem

ughh, it sounds like it still uses an algorithm then :/ I will be using torque app (hopefully it has the PIDs for our cars) and report back
Old 07-13-2017, 04:01 AM   #22
Timbo-1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
I saw 266 three weeks ago in Florida, 96 degree day. That was viewed within the Cosworth app when I did a replay. Assuming that is accurate...
Timbo-1LE is offline   Reply With Quote