#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 02-14-2018, 10:16 AM   #1
kwav8r
Flyin NOE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 (A10)
MightyMouse or Elite Catch Can

First, this isn't a debate about whether or not to add a catch can, this is about which one.

From what I can tell MightMouse and Elite have two of the best on the market. The MM one, with it's replacement/redesigned PCV valve seems like a better choice given the cost for an E2-X and the MM 6ZL1 Mild can is about the same.

Anyone running either of these?
kwav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:47 AM   #2
rjacobs

Drives: none
mighty mouse
rjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:03 PM   #3
ICTsccaCamaro
ITCRNRS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Haven't gotten one for the ZLE yet but ran a Elite E2 on the 14 1LE, and on the RAM tow vehicle currently.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:32 PM   #4
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Although we have chimed in on several other threads in detail on this, here are the main differences between the 2.

First, the E2-X will trap nearly twice as much as the MM, and anyone can conduct this test themselves as Polynesian Powerhouse did. So you're still getting ingestion into the intake. May not see it puddling, but plenty is making it to the combustion chamber where you DON'T want it. The E2-X design traps 95% plus of all that enters it as far as oil and other contaminants.

Second, the MM only evacuates when IM vacuum is present. When you accelerate or go WOT, it allows crankcase pressure to build and vent out the breather (also illegal in all 50 States for street use, the Elite systems all meet emissions guidelines except are NOT CARB cert yet for CA.) where the dual valve Elite E2-X provides full time evacuation (evacuation is where your actually sucking out the contaminant laden vapors and flushing them with filtered fresh air) using 2 separate evacuation sources. This has a ton of advantages pertaining to piston ring flutter prevention, less blow-by, and not leaving the crankcase stagnant for any periods when the suspended contaminants then fall and settle into the engine oil.

There are a ton more substantial differences that extend your engines life, etc. but you did not want it to be a debate, so were just laying out the most obvious facts.

Anyone wanting more details, or to do the "Elite CatchCan Challenge" can email us direct at: Tech@EliteengineeringUSA.com and of course Sales@Eliteengineering.com

Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 05:07 PM   #5
conradsteph

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Vert Arctic Blue
Mighty Mouse ZL1 Wild - I'm certainly not a catch can expert but it's what my installer recommended at Cordes Performance Racing in Tempe, AZ
conradsteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:44 PM   #6
TDS

Drives: 2019 Jeep Rubicon Sold:2017 ZL1 A10
I ordered the Elite E2-X. After much research it seemed to me to be the best choice for ZL1. I had just one of their standard cans on my 05 C6 and it worked great!
Ordered 2/11, 2000 2/14, 3000 2/20, 3100 2/24, 3300 3/7, 3400 3/8, 4300 3/16, 4B00 3/21 Bayed at train yard in Ohio, 4200 3/26 All Abroad for the West Coast, 4800 4/4 Deliverd to portland train yard, 5000 4/7 3:00AM Deliverd to Dealer, 6000 4/7 6:45PM Delivered to Customer
TDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 05:32 AM   #7
kwav8r
Flyin NOE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 (A10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Engineering View Post
Although we have chimed in on several other threads in detail on this, here are the main differences between the 2.

First, the E2-X will trap nearly twice as much as the MM, and anyone can conduct this test themselves as Polynesian Powerhouse did. So you're still getting ingestion into the intake. May not see it puddling, but plenty is making it to the combustion chamber where you DON'T want it. The E2-X design traps 95% plus of all that enters it as far as oil and other contaminants.

Second, the MM only evacuates when IM vacuum is present. When you accelerate or go WOT, it allows crankcase pressure to build and vent out the breather (also illegal in all 50 States for street use, the Elite systems all meet emissions guidelines except are NOT CARB cert yet for CA.) where the dual valve Elite E2-X provides full time evacuation (evacuation is where your actually sucking out the contaminant laden vapors and flushing them with filtered fresh air) using 2 separate evacuation sources. This has a ton of advantages pertaining to piston ring flutter prevention, less blow-by, and not leaving the crankcase stagnant for any periods when the suspended contaminants then fall and settle into the engine oil.

There are a ton more substantial differences that extend your engines life, etc. but you did not want it to be a debate, so were just laying out the most obvious facts.

Anyone wanting more details, or to do the "Elite CatchCan Challenge" can email us direct at: Tech@EliteengineeringUSA.com and of course Sales@Eliteengineering.com

Thank you for chiming in and for the synopsis. To tell the truth, I did some digging on this topic before I posted and only found a couple of entries in the Camaro6 forum on catch cans (including one post by PolynesianPowerhouse, but I was unable to find any of his other threads here, maybe Camaro5.com?).

At any rate, I was leaning toward your system due to the separate evacuation. What I didn't understand was the MM works primarily during acceleration and WOT- I don't plan on tracking the car.

PM sent.
kwav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:58 AM   #8
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
The guys at MM are great, and their customer service is very good too. We really don't like to debate the "Catch Can" topic because everyone has their own opinion, but we do know the MM does NOT evacuate during acceleration or WOT. IT allows crankcase pressure to build and then vent fumes in your engine compartment. It basically uses technology the Professional Racing industry discontinued decades ago. No form of Professional racing "vents" with breathers anymore due to the issues that causes.

We emulate the functions of the belt driven vacuum pump systems that are the absolute best, but don't last on the streets. Of course we are not as effective as a vacuum pump, but we do provide full time evacuation suction no matter the mode of driving. I think if your not tracking the car, the most drastic benefit will be we trap nearly twice as much of what enters the can....so you not getting hardly any of the oil and other contaminants ingested. Send a PM to Polynesian Powerhouse and he can give details of conducting the test that shows this.

Cheers!!
Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote