Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-02-2020, 10:22 PM   #1
Rocco87

Drives: chevy camamro SS
who in here is running nitrous?

Haven't heard much about how the lt1's do with nitrous or what kits are recommended. What size shot is safe on sbe? I have heard the safest route is with a stand alone fuel system
Rocco87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 01:55 PM   #2
jorgesvlog

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet SS
I made a post on it but Im running it on my heads and cam camaro.

im doing a 100 shot but system is set up tp go up to a 200 if needed with the standalone fuel system and c16 for fuel and e85 in tank for normal driving.
jorgesvlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 05:48 PM   #3
Rocco87

I'll look for your post
Old 06-05-2020, 09:04 AM   #4
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
LT1 runs great on nitrous, someone here was running 9s with a 200 shot with slicks and skinnies. A "proper" nitrous system is not cheap and once all the costs are added, its within financial reach of an entry level blower kit. Most owners tend to favor the power available at all times with a blower setup vs the 4 or 5 10 second hits you can squeeze out of a 10 lbs nitrous bottle. Also, refilling bottles gets old really quick and adds up over time, take it from a guy who filled close to 100 bottles back in the day on the LS platform.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 03:26 PM   #5
jorgesvlog

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEornothing View Post
LT1 runs great on nitrous, someone here was running 9s with a 200 shot with slicks and skinnies. A "proper" nitrous system is not cheap and once all the costs are added, its within financial reach of an entry level blower kit. Most owners tend to favor the power available at all times with a blower setup vs the 4 or 5 10 second hits you can squeeze out of a 10 lbs nitrous bottle. Also, refilling bottles gets old really quick and adds up over time, take it from a guy who filled close to 100 bottles back in the day on the LS platform.
Yes you are definitely correct. A proper nitrous kit ran me 3500 but that included a stand alone fuel system to run c16, the timing controller box, the nitrous progressive controller, and a few other things like fuel pressure safety switch and bigger purge solenoid.

I was already close to 600 on NA and reaching the max limit of my stock lt1 fuel system so that is why i went the nitrous route. It will allow me to run up to a 200 shot without having to upgrade my stock lt1 fuel system.

On a 100 shot the car probably makes around 650 and to get to 650 on a blower set up that would need at minimum the lt4 fuel system upgrades which is around 1500 dollars, an aux pump for e85 which is 700-1000 and the blower itself which would be around 6k, so it would cost more than double to go blower and even if you add in the cost of filling nitrous bottles you could fill up nitrous bottles for a few years depending on how often you use it and still not spend the money on a blower.
jorgesvlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 10:45 PM   #6
LT1ornothing

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgesvlog View Post
Yes you are definitely correct. A proper nitrous kit ran me 3500 but that included a stand alone fuel system to run c16, the timing controller box, the nitrous progressive controller, and a few other things like fuel pressure safety switch and bigger purge solenoid.

I was already close to 600 on NA and reaching the max limit of my stock lt1 fuel system so that is why i went the nitrous route. It will allow me to run up to a 200 shot without having to upgrade my stock lt1 fuel system.

On a 100 shot the car probably makes around 650 and to get to 650 on a blower set up that would need at minimum the lt4 fuel system upgrades which is around 1500 dollars, an aux pump for e85 which is 700-1000 and the blower itself which would be around 6k, so it would cost more than double to go blower and even if you add in the cost of filling nitrous bottles you could fill up nitrous bottles for a few years depending on how often you use it and still not spend the money on a blower.
Yes sir, known that road for many years, lots of smiles and good times on the spray, just got tiring over the years with the fills, . Different routes and that's absolutely correct on nitrous as most cost effective per horsepower. Mine personally will be boost and e85 this go around, tickle the factory sealed block around 750ish rwhp it is definitely tougher financially, but I'm going from bone stock to mitigate costs a bit.
Old 06-07-2020, 02:10 AM   #7
Rocco87

$3500?! Holy cow I had no idea it was that much. I thought the $1k kit was all you need minus the stand alone fueling. I guess I'll just finish going NA with hopes of eventually going blower
Old 06-07-2020, 04:35 AM   #8
LT1ornothing

Yep, it is not cheap when done right and can actually be more than that if you add more accessories. You can get away with an entry level $1,000 plate kit for tiny shots 100 and under in my opinion, but I wouldn't gamble a factory sealed engine with a large shot on that kit without all the extra safety nets offered in a kit done right. Only takes one hiccup, ask me how I know.
Old 06-07-2020, 08:55 AM   #9
Rocco87

Yeah, I may have to look more into it or say screw it all together. Ive never ran nitrous and it has always scared me, so ��*♂️