Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-02-2020, 12:57 PM   #1
Leadrightpedal

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Dealer wants to change my 1LE brakes and rotors at 33k miles

They want about $1600 for front and $600 for rear. Oddly I started getting a vibration through the wheel on braking after an alignment at another dealer (which I why I didn’t go back to that dealer). Now here they are saying my rotors and pads are done at 33k miles. The lady was saying how SS cars could wear them out at 15k miles.

I don’t know what happened. The other dealer did an alignment and the steering wheel wasn’t even straight. So I told him and near the end of close he took it back and kept it for 2 hours and no difference. I’m really wondering if it is possible that in those 2 hours something happened to cause the shuttering/vibration on low speed braking (doesn’t happen at higher speeds).

I know I should have taken it back but that dealer is far from where I live and I was taking it back there out of loyalty as I bought the car there. I just got too busy to take it back.
Leadrightpedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 01:52 PM   #2
supersportss

Drives: 2019 SS
I had a vibration at 11k, the dealer turned the front rotors ,didn't help, they then turned the back and ended up replacing one of the fronts, vibration went away but now I have a squeak in the rear,think the stock rotors are junk. Going GM coated next.
supersportss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 02:43 PM   #3
R3ctivision
1LE Convert

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Post pic of your brake pads and rotors? Should be easy to tell by inspection if they need to be replaced or not.

A brake vibration felt in steering could also be caused by uneven lug nut torque, unclean wheel mounting surface, or brake pad deposits on the rotor. (Rotors don't warp.)

Previous cars:
- 2018 Miata RF GT (Machine Gray/Auburn)
- 2017 Camaro 1SS 1LE (Summit White)
- 2008 BMW 135i (Montego Blue)
- 1996 BMW 328i (Arctic Silver)
R3ctivision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 02:56 PM   #4
NeverDie
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Dealer that did the alignment protentially ooga-dooga'd the **** out of your lugs and caused the warping.
NeverDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 03:53 PM   #5
Leadrightpedal

Okay so apparently they didn’t have the right part for the front. So I will take pics of the old rear rotors and pads. I also realized that the front rotors are cheaper from GMpartsdirect. So I’ll take pics of the front on the car and then order them and take the car to a local mechanic.

The dealer was willing to pack up the old parts in a box and give them to me. So let’s see.

The other dealer may have screwed up my factory rotors. But it’s hard to say. I’m just wondering if 33k miles is at least in the ballpark for the life of these parts.
Old 06-02-2020, 04:45 PM   #6
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
Sounds like improperly torqued wheels if it happened immediately after leaving the first service. Not sure why they would have removed the wheels for the alignment unless it was pulling one way and they cross rotated tires trying to compensate. I believe in the KISS theory. You need to go back to them and let them address the issue.
If you're gonna get stuck, get them from Rock Auto and do them yourself. It really isn't very hard. I had brake rotor issues 3 times in 45,000 miles on my 17 non 1LE SS.
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 05:34 PM   #7
Leadrightpedal

So I just got the car back. Clearly the prices on each rotor and pads are about $60 higher each than GMpartsdirect. I could post the receipt if that is okay with the forum rules. So I overpaid $180. However they charged me only 1 hour labor for the rear and intend to charge the same for the front.

Honestly I can’t tell from looking at the rotors. They don’t look warped as far as I can see. But the pads are clearly worn.
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2020, 05:44 PM   #8
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
I think you got robbed on the entire deal, too much $$$. Needed a 2d opinion before doing anything at those prices.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 06:07 PM   #9
Leadrightpedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlinez View Post
Sounds like improperly torqued wheels if it happened immediately after leaving the first service. Not sure why they would have removed the wheels for the alignment unless it was pulling one way and they cross rotated tires trying to compensate. I believe in the KISS theory. You need to go back to them and let them address the issue.
If you're gonna get stuck, get them from Rock Auto and do them yourself. It really isn't very hard. I had brake rotor issues 3 times in 45,000 miles on my 17 non 1LE SS.
Now that you mention it. He actually said that he did that. I had brand new tires but I put a few miles on them before bringing them in for alignment. He was saying how you should never put more than 15-20 miles on a new set of tires before aligning them. Then he went on to say he did in fact cross rotate the wheels.

Now i’m not understanding how improperly torqued wheels can cause this kind of steering vibration. It is a lot more noticeable at lower speeds. At higher speeds it is still there but not very noticeable.

Also now that they replaced the rears it still vibrates but not as much as before. I’ll look into rock auto.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:10 PM   #10
Leadrightpedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnAY View Post
I think you got robbed on the entire deal, too much $$$. Needed a 2d opinion before doing anything at those prices.
So the rotors are fine? The pads do look worn but I wonder why the rear pads are so thin yet my front pads are quite bit thicker.

So far on the rears I am out $615+tax. Still thinking about what to do for the fronts. I better just get a second opinion before proceeding. The car still does vibrate when breaking. Just in a different way now.

Thankfully they didn’t have 1le front rotors in stock or I would have really been robbed.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:11 PM   #11
Leadrightpedal

For reference there is also this: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=490625

It talks about the rotors possibly being a known defective part.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:47 PM   #12
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
I have had ZERO issues on my SS 1LE brakes.

With your mileage, that sounds about right. I drive "street spirited" and have 23K miles now. I was just at the dealer 2 weeks ago and my front pads only have 1MM before the wear liner kicks in and the rear has 2MM left.

So I figure I will need new pads and rotors in about 3-4 mths.

I plan to replace all 4 pads/rotors at the same time. Budgeting $2K for OEM. I have no need/desire to veer from the stock 1LE brembos.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 07:33 PM   #13
Leadrightpedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post

With your mileage, that sounds about right. I drive "street spirited" and have 23K miles now. I was just at the dealer 2 weeks ago and my front pads only have 1MM before the wear liner kicks in and the rear has 2MM left.

I plan to replace all 4 pads/rotors at the same time. Budgeting $2K for OEM. I have no need/desire to veer from the stock 1LE brembos.
Yeah that’s sort of of how I feel about it. My “street spirited” driving is what makes me feel it’s sort of within range for replacement. They have 33k now but when the issue started it was already near 30k miles.

Now what upsets me right or wrong is the appearance of the brake shudder seemingly right after the alignment. That day was weird and it taught me a lesson. Don’t let them have your car in the afternoon. When I took it in the service advisor was saying it may be too late to do a 4 wheel alignment now - “let me check with the technician”.

So I think he wanted to get it done quickly and didn’t realize he didn’t set the steering wheel straight (which btw they fixed today - said it was corrected in the tow angles). When asked him to look at it again it was really end of day and he said all the day’s cars had to come off the racks to get mine back up. So I waited for hours for him to do his recheck. He probably didn’t actually spend much time with it and basically it came out the same. I don’t know what he did because after that it I noticed on my drive home and it was just too late in the day to do anything.

It was from that day I noticed this brake shudder. Probably driving it around with it like that accelerated things. Plus my attempts to rebed the pads to see if it will resolve the issue didn’t help either.

Now I take my car first thing in the morning. It’s just better that way.

Last edited by Leadrightpedal; 06-02-2020 at 07:47 PM.
Old 06-02-2020, 08:40 PM   #14
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post

The stock Brembo pads are great, nice and quiet for the amount of grab they have, just a little dusty.